Open spaces!!!!!

charlotte12345

New User
Visit site
I have had my pony for a year now. Before her i had a young strong pony who i couldnt control, on loan and that knocked my confidence hugely. He sometimes took off. My current pony is so good and kind, i just dont trust anything in open spaces. I always feel as if they will take off and always think the worst. I am basically fine in walk and trot, just not canter. How do i overcome this??

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Build it up really slowly so you keep your confidence. Just literally try half a dozen or so strides in canter, sit up tall, keep you bum in the saddle and try not to cling on to the reins! Relax and after a few strides come back to trot. Let us know how you get on :)

Suec04

Visit site
I had the same confidence issue with my first pony who used to take off with me in open fields. I used to mark out a schooling area in the corner of one field, using cones, crates etc, and got used to cantering her in the smaller space, then I would try to get a bit braver each time and make the canter circle a bit wider than the schooling area until I was able to canter round the whole field without her taking off. if she got a bit strong, I would circle her until she slowed down and then tried again. the best thing to do is relax - not easy I know, but you will get there. :)

PorkChop

Visit site
I agree try cantering up a hill, also if you can go with someone who has a quiet horse, it is more likely that your horse will want to stay with it's companion.

aspirit

Visit site
I was the same, always assummed my horse would act like the old one. You have to just go for it Im afraid, mine is worst with company and sees it as a race. I did change the bit to stronger one though.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
So just walk and trot for now, there is no rush. I rode my youngster on open moorland for the first time a few weeks ago, my husband was looking for a hoon along the straight uphill gallop and I was not, so we compromised and had plenty of trot... My lad was good but much more forward and I'd rather trot went well and I pull up happy and full of praise than canter going wrong!

STRIKER

Visit site
There is no rush, but remember no matter how saintly the pony is, if you are nervous they will feel it and if you tighten your reins they will want to run from that, so it is utmost important for you to relax, dont think about whatif, that happened yesterday, you cannot change history its gone, tomorrow if there for new horizons to be explored.

Canter 3 steps then go back to walk, then canter 3 steps again and go back to walk but not straight away as this could confuse the pony as well then they would be expecting to canter 3 steps and go back to walk every few strides.