Opening meet attire?

Lunobl

Visit site
Hi, what kind of stock and pin is suitable for opening meet. I’m wearing a navy jacket so am looking for a white stock tie but should it just be solid white or are patterned stock ties common too like the attached photo below?

Should my stock pin be plain? I have one with two horse’s heads on.. would that be suitable?

Any recommendations are most welcome!!

Thank you

Attachments

• BECE9195-C809-4742-9FD4-C35DC5955A53.jpeg
    BECE9195-C809-4742-9FD4-C35DC5955A53.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 28

Kat

Visit site
Your stock will be fine, though the shires white cotton one is very popular as you will find your stock gets filthy and you need to attack it with stain remover, a hot wash and possibly a scrubbing brush, maybe even laundry bleach.

Stock pin should be plain but no one will notice or care if it has a horse head/horse shoe/fox or whatever on it. I would avoid the blingy crystal ones though.

Don't forget a hairnet or your hip flask.

And have fun!!!!

Bob notacob

Visit site
It is almost lost in history but the reason for a stock is to prevent neck injury. The traditional stock was a long ,usualy silk , strip of cloth .folded into 4 and wound around the neck tight several times and then held with a pin. The idea is that in a fall ,compression of the neck is held by the stock and helps prevent upper spinal column injuries.Used to use one racing , Not sure if it worked but it seemed to. Wish I had been wearing one when I really needed it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is almost lost in history but the reason for a stock is to prevent neck injury. The traditional stock was a long ,usualy silk , strip of cloth .folded into 4 and wound around the neck tight several times and then held with a pin. The idea is that in a fall ,compression of the neck is held by the stock and helps prevent upper spinal column injuries.Used to use one racing , Not sure if it worked but it seemed to. Wish I had been wearing one when I really needed it.

It was also used as a tourniquet to stem bleeding on equine legs.