Opening Meet - disapointment :-(

DragonSlayer

Visit site
And riders wonder why the rest of the population think we are pompous twits!

Would you go to an interview looking like you just got out of bed? Doubtful.

Laziness in not being willing to find out the correct dress and turnout is not an excuse.

My sister wants to hunt next season, and he's having kittens already over asking me the correct turnout...she is making the effort, and so should the rest of them.

skint1

Visit site
Can someone please give a brief outline on the turnout rules for hunting? I've never hunted though have nothing against it so I am interested.

I know colours are important, my daughter went cubbing last year in a sj jacket that had a pink collar, it was gently pointed out that it wasnt appropriate and she was able to borrow a tweed jacket I think, but no one ever explained why.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Can someone please give a brief outline on the turnout rules for hunting? I've never hunted though have nothing against it so I am interested.

I know colours are important, my daughter went cubbing last year in a sj jacket that had a pink collar, it was gently pointed out that it wasnt appropriate and she was able to borrow a tweed jacket I think, but no one ever explained why.

ratcatchers (tweed) is appropriate for cubbing.

Hope it didnt put her off going again!

posie_honey

Visit site
ok - so i do think that some of the older traditions are not as important nowdays - for example wearing spurs ;) but i do think that unplaitied for opening meet - and burrs and mud - is quite frankly appauling!!

and btw - my mare lives out 24/7 365 with no running water or electricity - but you can bet your bottom dollar that i still manage to get her plaited and clean for hunting - i may wear my dressage top boots but by golly them - and she - are sparkling - and i'd not have it any other way! :D

i even wash her white socks with a bucket and sponge in the road outside her field before i put her travel boots on and load her up so as to have clean socks - its not easy but i just would not got to a meet dirty

for the ones wondering re: plaiting = plait the night before - put a turn out hood on and hey presto - plaited clean horse in morning - not ideal and better to do it in morning but i'm in a county with no hunts - so have to travel quite far anyway the morning of a meet to go - so i aim to have as much done as i can the night before :)

Simsar

Visit site
When I went to our first met we were just staying there untill they all went off as it was our first time out hunting and wanted to see how he would reactd with it all. I scrub Beau loads and plaiting him up cleand all my tack and my boots. I wouldnt dare go to a met like when we just hack out in the winter as I don't always get rid of all the mud,brush mane or tail etc, just the imporant parts!! I would want the ground to swallow me up if I liked a mess!! My friend who I went with did say why am Im plaiting as Im not going out in the field propley I said it's all inmporant doesnt matter that I didnt follow complety.

And for once it was a nice feely all being smart and Beau all plaited up!!

Well done for taking the time and effort, hope you enjoy your hunting.

Can I just say a Huge Thank-you for all your kind words and making me feel better after making an effort over my horses for the opening meet - I was feeling rather down about it as it did take up massive amounts of time - I had three hunters out that day they I got ready inbetween my work - I have a riding school - teaching , dealing with clients, sorting out my school horses and all the other stuff ! and it was very reassuring to hear from other that like to keep tradition and appearances up. Made it worth while after all !! and to top it all I didn't even get out to play - all horses were for other people - but I do like a nicely turned out horse..............even my school horses are always turned out for lessons immaculate, pulled manes and tails, hoof oiled feet and never a spot of mud otherwise I do lose it with the staff !!!

Thanks everyone ..... I can now rest easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol xx

A massive thank you to you to for the time and effort.

Albina - I spent from 11am to 3 pm on Friday getting my husband's horse ready for the opening meet. As she is a white "grey" and has a mane and tail like barbed wire so had to be thoroughly washed, plaited with thread, pulled and then suitably rugged and suited and booted . I was drenched and shivering when I'd finished. I still spent time before the meet mopping up any stray poo marks so she looked snowy white. i just told my husband about your post and he said " the numbers are more important than what they look like, they may have come on a last minute whim". Shotgun please.

LOL! Been there too! Horse looks fantastic I have newmoania can't spell!

Just a question, I am very good at plaiting with thread or bands, however my horses live out and I have no stables. Although for this reason I am not hunting this winter I would consider going hunting without plaiting, as long as the horse is clean and the mane is pulled so looks presentable. would this be ok or would I still get looks of outrage?

I would also have clean tack and be presentable myself

Plait with bands its better than not if you can. x

i have a dales pony who sports a full and correct mane through summer until the last of my 2 local shows then i commence pulling a little at a time for nearly 2 months by the end of which i can plait it.
Yes it means getting up two hours earlier than i would and usually results in 20 plaits minimum and yes my time in bed on non working mornings is very precious to me as i get up at half four weekdays BUT i would feel rather selfish if i did not turn my pony out to the best of my abilities especially when other people also go to so much trouble.
i must thank Judgemental for the information you keep imparting i find it inspirational in my continued attempt at correct and respectful turn out. My next smart riding attire purchase will be a black or navy woolen hunt coat unfortunately it is tweed at the minute but i do open and close as many gates as possible luckily william is good at them as well as looking spunky when plaited
Oh forgot to mention he lives out all year to, well rugged and hunter clipped.

Leave the M&M plait the rest. Try for a Navy coat its much smarter and correct for ladies.

So if I have got the right end of the stick here, my M&M welsh C can be left "au natural" but obviously tidy, however my trad cob should be plaited?

I would leave the cob long too.

The tweed is the Autumn uniform so to speak and the Navy is to be worn after Opening meet.

Bojangles

Visit site
I did enjoy pampering him making him look smart and of coz me as we dont look smart everyday lol!!! We did go on another time and only stayd for a hour as we lack of brakes :( and he wasnt that fit either!! So didnt want to over do it either!! We did have a fab time dispite no brakes and he wouldnt stand still which I think it was down to all the exictment as normally he just stands still!!! I did feel a bit silly as Ive never know him to be like that. And did get a comment on his behaviour which isnt good!! Hes normally quite laid back. We leftd on a good note we came away from the pack he didnt play up eventhough the met came back our way he was a superstar!!

Maybe one day we go again I would really like to go just going to stugging with brakes as hes not really strong at home. I did have a different bit in for the met it didnt make any difference at all!!! This was over 2 year's ago now he has changed so much since then!!

skint1

Visit site
ratcatchers (tweed) is appropriate for cubbing.

Hope it didnt put her off going again!

No, they were very kind about it from what she said, but I think she didn't want to seem rude so she didn't ask any questions.

She did a season of cubbing and hunting last year, she loved it and it did wonders for her confidence but she was riding some horses to get them seen/sold, so once they were sold that was the end of her hunting adventure!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
why does living out and no stables mean you cant plait? my horses all live out - never stopped me plaiting - i make sure they wear a neck cover the night before and plait up that morning. no-one's gonna send you home for not plaiting but i was just curious as to why living out means you cant plait?

Only because I have no lighting and my horse is terrified of a head torch. I try to plait outside the field shelter as its so dark inside but I live on a hill and its extremely windy so the horse end up bouncing around. Just makes things hard thats all.

cxx

star

Visit site
Only because I have no lighting and my horse is terrified of a head torch. I try to plait outside the field shelter as its so dark inside but I live on a hill and its extremely windy so the horse end up bouncing around. Just makes things hard thats all.

cxx

ok, we dont meet till 12.30pm so i've never had to plait in the dark. i've plaited in the pouring rain, gale force winds etc though - adds to the fun lol! who needs stables?

abina

Visit site
Albina - I spent from 11am to 3 pm on Friday getting my husband's horse ready for the opening meet. As she is a white "grey" and has a mane and tail like barbed wire so had to be thoroughly washed, plaited with thread, pulled and then suitably rugged and suited and booted . I was drenched and shivering when I'd finished. I still spent time before the meet mopping up any stray poo marks so she looked snowy white. i just told my husband about your post and he said " the numbers are more important than what they look like, they may have come on a last minute whim". Shotgun please.

oooh white grey - not good colour - at least mine were Dun and Skewbald ! not too much white !! as for the Hubby ............ tell him he now has to learn to plait ... the groom is on strike and in need of a Chocolate , wine and TLC !! xx Well done I appreciate your efforts. xx

newalclover

Visit site
Think people should be turned out to a certain standard!! Ok have only been to 1 meet it was my 1st time so as no tweed jacket had my everyday riding jacket on, white breeches, white showjumping shirt, long boots & clean tack.. As autumn hunting was told no need for plaiting so people saw clover's scissor cut showjumper hair doo!! Had planned to go yesterday unfortuantly horse had other ideas nick in the feild put a stop to it!! :( but did get myself a tweed jacket and had planned to plait.. So yes think there should be a certain standard but not so much that it wont allow complete newbies like myself from having a go!! Might sort myself out a stock before the next time will look almost like I belong!! :p

skewby

Visit site
even my school horses are always turned out for lessons immaculate, pulled manes and tails, hoof oiled feet and never a spot of mud otherwise I do lose it with the staff !!!
As a slight aside I think this is fantastic to hear. The one school I know of doesn't bother with grooming, not even picking feet out. My instructor as a child was a fanatic and it's stayed with me even now (to the point that, if light is failing and horse is not perfectly clean so I am forced to ride with him less than immaculate...I HATE it and will not go off the farm where he is kept!). I think this is really important. It promotes the right attitude to horse care from the start, kids will not forget that. Not turning horses out correctly gives the message that they are toys to have tack chucked on and be played with, IMHO. Good for you I am heartened xx

Lolo

Visit site
I hate it when people don't turn out correctly- I've been hunting since I was 10, and have always plaited up my ponies and worn smart, clean gear. I probably wear the wrong stuff (tweed, no spurs, boots and gaiters) but my tack is plain, and my horse is always as immaculate as I can get him (although he did always have fluffy armpits and tummy due to being very ticklish!). If a 10yo can understand the importance of correct, smart turnout (and I'm not from a horsey background at all) why can't adults?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well done you for making the effort! I know exactly how you feel: a few years ago at our opening meet a couple of very untidy horse/rider combinations turned up. They were coloured horses and it looked basically like someone had just caught them up from the field, bunged on the tack, and gone to the meet. They looked AWFUL. The horses basically needed a good clip (trace clip would have been better than nothing), or at least clean. OK so I know what its like dealing with the white bits of a coloured horse (blimmin nightmare) but I'd have been embarrassed to have been even seen out hacking, let alone an opening meet. And the riders were no better, their tack was all muddy and their boots had mud all up them.

In my day if any of us from Pony Club had ever dared to show our faces at a meet looking like this we'd have been sent home with a flea in our ears and given a good dressing-down. You made an effort in those days, it was about not just letting yourself down but your horse as well, plus your Pony Club branch.

I'm glad that you made the effort; brilliant there are still people out there that take the trouble and show respect. I hope you had a good day, and plenty more to come!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Think people should be turned out to a certain standard!! Ok have only been to 1 meet it was my 1st time so as no tweed jacket had my everyday riding jacket on, white breeches, white showjumping shirt, long boots & clean tack.. As autumn hunting was told no need for plaiting so people saw clover's scissor cut showjumper hair doo!! Had planned to go yesterday unfortuantly horse had other ideas nick in the feild put a stop to it!! :( but did get myself a tweed jacket and had planned to plait.. So yes think there should be a certain standard but not so much that it wont allow complete newbies like myself from having a go!! Might sort myself out a stock before the next time will look almost like I belong!! :p

Hi newalclover, you might find that now the season has started properly you should be wearing blue or black jacket, tweed is traditionally worn for pre season.
Might be an idea to ring the secretary or look on the website for your hunt, they usually have a dress code on there.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Hi newalclover, you might find that now the season has started properly you should be wearing blue or black jacket, tweed is traditionally worn for pre season.
Might be an idea to ring the secretary or look on the website for your hunt, they usually have a dress code on there.

She is always welcome to join the Kimblewick in a tweed and has been told that by OH who is the secretary.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com

I have always been told that tweed is never incorrect, regardless of where you are in the season. I don't hunt regularly enough to warrant buying a hunt coat and I really dislike nylon SJ type jackets. It's much warmer in tweed and personally I think a nice tweed jacket looks smarted than nylon show jackets.

I also agree with the people saying that correct (and incorrect) turnout will be noticed. At the last meet I attended mounted, before horse went lame, I was very chuffed to be approached by firstly the owners of the pub we were meeting at who thanked me for making an effort to be smartly turned out, and that they thought my horse was one of the best turned out on the field (plaited mane, pulled tail that was plaited up out of the way), and secondly by several regular members telling me how smart they thought we looked... and me in my tweed jacket! ;)

There is no need for muddy horses at the Meet, let alone burrs in tail etc.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I have always been told that tweed is never incorrect, regardless of where you are in the season. I don't hunt regularly enough to warrant buying a hunt coat and I really dislike nylon SJ type jackets. It's much warmer in tweed and personally I think a nice tweed jacket looks smarted than nylon show jackets.

I also agree with the people saying that correct (and incorrect) turnout will be noticed. At the last meet I attended mounted, before horse went lame, I was very chuffed to be approached by firstly the owners of the pub we were meeting at who thanked me for making an effort to be smartly turned out, and that they thought my horse was one of the best turned out on the field (plaited mane, pulled tail that was plaited up out of the way), and secondly by several regular members telling me how smart they thought we looked... and me in my tweed jacket! ;)

There is no need for muddy horses at the Meet, let alone burrs in tail etc.

Sorry it wasn't mean't as a criticism,I meant that she need not go and buy a tweed jacket specially as most people will now be wearing hunt coats. FWIW I have a 30+yr old tweed and a navy woolen show jacket our hunt members and subs are supposed to wear black but nobody has ever commented to me.

I also agree with the anything goes as long as its neat and clean, and I do think the lots of hunts could do more by 'encouraging' higher standard of turnout through education.
As an ex Pony Club member we were taught that cleaning your tack makes it last longer, is more comfortable for horse and means you can spot weakness or fault in leatherwork. I don't think it's snobbish to expect people to show respect to their hosts by making an effort with turnout. You wouldn't turn up to a dinner party in your yard gear, would you?
(Assuming dinner party was at a non horsey house :D)

Last edited:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I don't think it's snobbish to expect people to show respect to their hosts by making an effort with turnout. You wouldn't turn up to a dinner party in your yard gear, would you?

No not at all, I do agree with everyone who says turnout is important! I don't think there is any excuse not to make the effort to turnout correctly. If someone thinks it is acceptable to arrive at a Meet with a muddy horse that has burrs in his tail then I dread to think what their day to day turnout is like...!

Weezy

Visit site
For me turn out is of the utmost importance when hunting. I am a bit of a nazi on my yard with the youngsters and I absolutely insist they are smart, clean and properly attired.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a tweed season long - any hunt will be happy to have you wearing tweed, certainly better than an SJ jacket and more correct. I am also aware of hunts who, since the ban, prefer tweed to hunt coats.

Plaiting ALWAYS for opening meet and lawn meets....it really goes without saying. However our hunt, one of the most expensive in the country, are really not bothered about lack of plaiting after the opening meet.

IMO it is also more correct to use bands than thread. Bands can be removed quickly if necessary, thread cannot. It is also easier to pull the plaits on the way back to boxes and allow your horse to have a good stretch.

When I go out with the Kimblewick I will be wearing tweed and be proud of it ;)

ETS I don't know of any hunts who meet before 11am once the season has begun, so no excuses for not plaiting!

smudge99

Visit site
My daughter went to her first hunt on Sat (see other thread) and she spent most of the Friday washing and tidying that pony to an inch of her life, why because she did not want to make a fool of herself and her pony. Did I say anything to her, no it was her decision and I was very proud to see her at the meet.

Liz

Mike007

Visit site
My daughter went to her first hunt on Sat (see other thread) and she spent most of the Friday washing and tidying that pony to an inch of her life, why because she did not want to make a fool of herself and her pony. Did I say anything to her, no it was her decision and I was very proud to see her at the meet.

Liz

Yup, hope you got lots of photos too.

Simsar

Visit site

Liz

Lovely lovely photo's, on other post. x

Paddydou

Visit site
Lovely lovely photo's, on other post. x

They are - I took a peek at yours as well the other day! You look hot when hunting! ;)

I don't understand why people wouldn't bother. Going hunting is like any equestrian party and you wouldn't turn up for a dressage test in your most tatty clothes would you?

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Thanks Dou.

That is all we are trying to say please keep it Traditional once its gone it will never be the same.

^^ Agree thats why i had the morning off work to completely clip out three for the opening meet on Saturday. All have pulled tails and two are hogged, the other has a pulled mane. All tack is now gleaming and the lorry is set for full hunting so the bar complete with optics is full, the hob ready for post-hunt bacon sarnies and best of all i have a lovely new hunt coat from Alexander James :D