opinion on size of rider?

palominoponeh

Visit site
hey, i’m currently looking for a long term (2-3 years) project, and i have found a lovely 3yo 14hh connie by beagh lad. however i just want to get opinions on my size on her? i’m 5’7 and roughly around 60kg, and my legs aren’t very long so i wouldn’t look too unproportional. just wanting to see what yous think, obviously she will grow a wee bit more and connies generally are late at finishing…..

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think it’s doable providing you’re not planning on hammering the hell out of it (which no one should be doing with a youngster anyway!) I’m not a million miles from you (5ft 6 ish and 55kg) and my main horse is 15hh on tiptoes (in profile pic) and lightly built. Just take it slowly and allow plenty of time to muscle up. There will be a good market for a nicely schooled and presented 5 or 6 yr old in a few years.

palominoponeh

Visit site
I think it’s doable providing you’re not planning on hammering the hell out of it (which no one should be doing with a youngster anyway!) I’m not a million miles from you (5ft 6 ish and 55kg) and my main horse is 15hh on tiptoes (in profile pic) and lightly built. Just take it slowly and allow plenty of time to muscle up. There will be a good market for a nicely schooled and presented 5 or 6 yr old in a few years.
exactly! i’m just looking for something young to get used to things during this summer and then will be turning it away/light hacking for the winter. thank you

palominoponeh

Visit site
I've asked this question IRL before I'm 5'6 and 65kg (pre Covid ?) and no one seems to think twice about putting me on a 13.2 native. That said I think it depends on the stamp of connie as some of the more sporty types are finer and don't have as much bone.
i agree, the mare i’m looking at has good bone, i wouldn’t really consider a finer build

teddypops

Visit site
I think you would have to try her to find out how she feels. I’m 5’5” and I tried a 14.1hh Connie who had such a short neck she felt tiny and I had to get off! I then tried a 14hh Connie who had a slightly longer neck and she feels fine!

Marigold4

Visit site
No guarantee the pony will grow though. I've had two connie 3 year olds who haven't grown at all height-wise after 3. Natives tend to stop growing younger than something like a warmblood. Pony may stay 14 hh.

mini_b

Visit site
If you don’t hammer her young and allow her to muscle up - you’ll be fine she will carry you easily.

having said that I’m 5’7” and a bit lighter and I feel too tall on anything smaller than 15.3 at a push. I’ve got longish legs but I prefer it when theres more neck out front!!

If you are used to riding ponies then great, depends what you are used to.

huskydamage

Visit site
Im same height as you a bit heavier 10stone/63kg I have a 14hh pony and a 15.3 horse both fine builds. I look a right tit on the pony tbh, horse is much more comfortable for me. Having said that I got pony when she was 9 and she is 28, i have hunyed her fone endurance etc and I'm still riding her her vet says she's in good nick for her age so hasn't done her much harm.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I'm alot shorter and a bit lighter and ride a friends 14.1 connie - I feel too big. I feel just about OK on her 14.3 connie.
I wouldn't do anything too stenuous even when they are fit - but I am used to bigger horses.
So I would say no

maya2008

Visit site
I bought a 13hh New Forest at almost 4yo. She did not grow in height until nearly 6yo (she will be 6 in August), whereupon she has shot up 2” behind and is slowly catching up in front. Our 14.3hh Native cross also stayed at his 3yo height for a year and a half before growing 2”.

So yours probably would make 14.2hh, but it could stay at 14hh for the better part of the next two years. Can you find a friend with a 14hh pony to have a sit? How balanced would you feel?

Hackback

Visit site
I'm same height and weight as you and my horse is a quite finely built 15 hands - all in his legs lol. He carries me no problem but he doesn't take up my leg very well so my feet dangle beneath his barrel which means I have a tendency to swing my lower leg back when I want to give an aid. It can also be a bit problematical finding a saddle that will accommodate his short back and my long legs. I've ridden 13 hh ponies that take up my leg better.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think height is as important as build!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Check her saddle platform can take what you need https://www.ahsaddles.com/post/2019/04/30/horse-shopping-saddle-length-part-1, and bear in mind that although the pony would easily carry you as a muscled adult, a baby would want as much building up from the ground before backing as possible when carrying a slightly bigger rider, not just the usual "three weeks on the lunge" type approach. A short leg means a long body, I'm 5'8" with a longer body, and my centre of gravity was very high on the 14.1 Connie I rode for a year. Make sure you're super balanced and strong in the core too. Might all seem OTT but if you want to do absolutely right by the pony that's what I'd recommend as a perfectionist saddle fitter!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I had two ponies, one just under 14.2hh and one just over. The just under one rode very small and in the end I sold her as I just didnt enjoy riding her. The slightly bigger one rides big. Hes got a big front and that makes such a difference.

coblets

Visit site
Check her saddle platform can take what you need https://www.ahsaddles.com/post/2019/04/30/horse-shopping-saddle-length-part-1, and bear in mind that although the pony would easily carry you as a muscled adult, a baby would want as much building up from the ground before backing as possible when carrying a slightly bigger rider, not just the usual "three weeks on the lunge" type approach. A short leg means a long body, I'm 5'8" with a longer body, and my centre of gravity was very high on the 14.1 Connie I rode for a year. Make sure you're super balanced and strong in the core too. Might all seem OTT but if you want to do absolutely right by the pony that's what I'd recommend as a perfectionist saddle fitter!

Bit of a stupid question but how do you know what's the minimum size of a saddle that you can fit in/would be comfortable in?

mini_b

Visit site
Bit of a stupid question but how do you know what's the minimum size of a saddle that you can fit in/would be comfortable in?

rough guide is your thigh length but it doesn’t really take into account the size of your bum.
do you have a saddle to compare to? One that you feel comfortable and secure in and measure that?

I thought I’d fit in a 17 and tried one, my knees hung over the front. The extra .5 between 2 saddles I tried made a difference.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

It will vary, but you'll get an idea from what you've ridden in before. If you have a trusted saddle fitter ask them, I would say use something like the Thorowgood size calculator but I think going off only thigh length, as it does, is nonsense. And remember saddle footprints vary, so never let someone say a horse, or you, can absolutely only have one seat size.

But if you're coming up at a platform of 17", indicating a 16-17" saddle or thereabouts ( as I say models vary a LOT) and you know you need an 18", then you know. If it's close, then you know saddle fitting may be more difficult, and you may need more budget to open up other options to you.

Obviously going beyond the back rib with a saddle can cause issues in itself, and many of us fitters will neve go beyond the back rib for that reason, but even having to have a decent length seat and panel within the last rib, and a forwards flap for longer legs, means a larger foot print and the saddle is more likely to be sent forwards onto the shoulder. A croup high horse for example it might be better to fit 1" shorter than the back rib, though some designs can work well going onto the back rib.

Last edited:

irishdraft

Visit site
Absolutely agree with bearing in mind size of saddle to fit . I'm 5 '8" about the same weight as you OP but do have a long leg . I have a 16hh lightweight ID who is short in the back so Ive struggled with saddle fit and although I'm not too heavy I feel he's too small because of leg length .