[image]
hooves016.jpg
[/image]
[image]
hooves017.jpg
[/image]
hooves018.jpg

hooves015.jpg

Had the vet out today to check my horses hooves (had lots of probs and boxrest over winter with hoof related probs)

The vet was happy with the way his feet looked and the way he moved etc.

A couple of people this afternoon (and my instructor last week) have commented that my horses feet are long in the toe and low at the heel, one lady was shocked he'd only just been done and thought he looked at least a few weeks over due.

I had been slightly concerned that his feet were a bit long in the toe and low at the heel, hence why I had the vet out. I know I should trust what my vet and farrier say, but cant help being worried... thought I'd pop a few pics on here and see what you guys think?
crazy.gif

My horse is recoving from a hoof related probs, worse in the right fore which the farrier says will take another 6 months to grow out, hence they are a little mis-shapen.

rforsyth1984

Visit site
He has had laminitis.

The farrier discussed my horse with the vet initially (when he was having heartbars on), and has seen the x-rays (slight pedal bone rotation in right hoof). Vet came out today and was happy with horses feet, both static and in motion.

Doesn't have back shoes because he doesn't need them, never had them on. Only started having fronts because he is a bit pigeon toed and farrier felt he needed the extra support.

D

Donkeymad

I agree, I think the toe looks a little long and the heels a little low. I'm certainly no expert though.

Marnie

Visit site
My first thought would be that they look a bit long in the toe and low at the heel - BUT I am not a vet or farrier and there may be reasons for them being as they are.

Sorry, not much help!!

sam72431

Visit site
I wouldnt worry listen to the experts thats what you pay them for they must know what is best for your horse which may not suit someone elses horse!

zelli

Visit site
It does look like they are a little long in the toe and low at the heel, but looking at your horses pasterns, if the heel was up more, your horses pasterns would be near enough dead straight! No horse will ever have perfect feet, and i would say that that is the shape your horse requires, and hes no where near as bad as some ive seen in the past! But the hoof is linked to and affected by the whole confirmation of the horse, so you should consider/investigate this before you start to worry just about the feet
smile.gif

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Thanks zelli, that does make sense. I think I have to accept that if the vet is happy, then all must be ok?

I will keep chatting to my farrier about it as well, maybe once the problem bit has grown out he will be able to take the toe back a little more?

Thanks everyone for your comments, look forward to reading any more
smile.gif

irishdraught

Visit site
They don't look too bad to me, perhaps your farrier would rather do little & often rather than create more problems by doing too much radical work at once? Just a thought.

I am sure that between your farrier and vet, they know what to do.

MillionDollar

Visit site
He doesn't look too long in the toe/ low at the heel to me BUT what I would say is that the shoes could do with being longer.........to support the heel. Thats the trouble in the UK, many farriers don't put long enough shoes on.

D

Donkeymad

I meant to have said

" but I would trust the experts, your farrier and vet"

lochpearl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't look too long in the toe/ low at the heel to me BUT what I would say is that the shoes could do with being longer.........to support the heel. Thats the trouble in the UK, many farriers don't put long enough shoes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree, there is no support whatsoever for the heal so the horse is likely to have lameness issues, perhaps ask the farrier to fit a shoe next time which is longer to suuport the heal and see if it makes any difference - the only prob though is that you might have to turn out/ride in overreach boots so he doesn't pull them off. Good luck.

star

Visit site
he appears to have very upright pasterns and hence his hoof-pastern angle isn't correct. you couldn't make it correct though because his pasterns are so upright. shoeing long behind to support the heel is ok in theory, but a lot of horses end up ripping the shoes off, even with overreach boots. we dont really know the full story here and so i would trust the vet/farrier and carry on working with them.