Opinions/info on criollo horses? Please help!

icklechlo

Visit site
I ride a cob for a woman who is semi novice, and he is up for sale because he is only 4..5ish, and is a bit too green for her (hacking etc). She went to look at a Criollo, only imported a week ago, and got on really well with it even thought she is semi-novice, I think there were a few iffy bits, just because he was a bit nervy, but overall she really liked him. She also said he was a sort of 'black roan' is what the lady said his colouring was, but I can't seem to find any pics on the net, and I want a bit more of a visual pic!

Can anyone tell me about them? Would a criollo (I know I am generalising) need a lot of exercise and stimulation, or would they be ok on a quiet yard, schooling and hacking etc about 4/5 times a week?

General info would really be apprieciated!!

Thanks! Chloe

druid

Visit site
Contact GreasedWeasel (think her user name is the same on here) - they have a criollo stallion and I'm sure would tell you about the breed

icklechlo

Visit site
Thanks, thats great, I have read a few things on the net, but most things are 'historical' rather than informative... do you know what i mean?!

Rhandir

Visit site
I've come across a couple of them on my travels, neither of them struck me a a horse for a novice rider due to lack of brakes, although I have to say that for a more experienced rider who would enjoy a more foreward going horse they would be OK. Not the most attractive horse on the planet, nor I would say particularly easy to find a saddle that would fit their conformation, I suspect that you might have to have one custom made.

The type of horse your friend is looking for would be worth it's weight in gold, they do exist but are hard to find. If we are being breed specific you might try looking in the direction of the American Quarter Horse where you are more likely to find a horse that stops instantly when you say "woah"

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
My friend has one
laugh.gif
and when I was on the earch for a polocrosse pony I went to These people to try some horses and I found them to be brilliant. They all have manners to burn, most of them (I was trying out the more sporty ones so they wer a bit sharper) were lovely and quiet, had novices on them and really took care of them. can't reccomend them (and the farm in my link) enough
laugh.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
GreasedWeasels stallion is an absolute dude. She hadn't had him long when she took him on a dressage and pleasure ride type event and he was a total angel.

He looks stunning too, he's more a red roan, chunky but not really heavy.

I've not seen much of the breed before but he's fab and converted me to them.

Looks like they are becoming very popular. Worth a try if your friend got on with the one she tried.

amzy

Visit site
My friend bought a Criollo horse last year from the Criollo dealer in Wiltshire. He is lovely and is happy to only hack now and again, a good doer and very bombproof. He's only 6 but behaves impeccably. I'm seriously thinking of buying one next year when I've saved enough money as they aren't cheap! They're mostly trained western but at the place where she bought hers she was shown how to ride and you get to pick any one you're interested in, according to your abilities.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I've met a few Criollos and yes I'd agree with the others, they are really easy horses to deal with. They're laid back and very similar in mind-set to Quarter Horses, but aren't generally as attractive as QHs (at least not the ones I've had any dealings with).

I'd think your friend will probably do just fine on him.
smile.gif

westernriderH

Visit site
i have a pair of criollo's, they are complete polar opposites but both generally sensible, i've not ridden them in 3 weeks, got on them and after a few minutes of freshness they're the same as if you'd ridden them every day! they're very easy to look after, i only rug them in the winter and they don't need fly rugs etc in the summer/spring/autumn. i would definitely recommend them for a novice as they have given me so much confidence, and they look pretty as well.

westernriderH

Visit site
i just read the other posts, i got my two from the criollo farm in wiltshire as well
smile.gif
they are western but it's very easy and it feels natural to me now.

Tharg

Visit site
Are they good at jumping?

Hhmm I wonder what the currency ratio of Euro to Argentenian money is like...

westernriderH

Visit site
well one of them is really lazy and he maxes about 2ft6 if it's a spread but he is really careful. the other loves jumping, and is really bold, and he's on about 2ft9 at the moment, but i taught them both jumping and they'd never done it before, and i've only been jumping them for about 4 months, so i'd say considering that is pretty good.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Are they good at jumping?

Hhmm I wonder what the currency ratio of Euro to Argentenian money is like...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they're not known for their jumping ability and everyone is after WBs at the mo, but are used to produce polo ponies as they're very agile.
Pounds buy a LOT of pesos! You could pick up something very nice for a couple of hundred quid here!!