Opinions on best course please...............

TequilaMist

Visit site
16.2 10yr old warmblood mare diagnosed with bone spavin 2 months ago after she started bucking in canter.Knew it was a problem but thought back as up til then had never bucked (rearings her thing if she does anything)Had her 4 yrs.
Now shes on cartrophen injections monthly and had 1 steriod injection.
She continued to buck so asked vet for some danilon to see if made a difference.Had to get 1 sachet am and pm for week then try canter.Ok bucked on right rein but not on left which ties in with diagnosis.Left hock has more damage so that would be the leg she pushes off from
so makes sense.
Now the thing is I want to up the danilon to see if it stops it.Not permenantly just a short period of high dose to see if its behavioural or pain related.
Vet says to take her off completely and if still does it can take to hospital for more tests.
So we could take her up spend £1000's and find nothing and it could all be remembered pain.
If went down danilon route how long does it take to 'kick in'?
Mares movement in trot and contact is sooooooooooo much better now its just this bucking now.
What do folk think is best course - pain relief or further tests?

Giant cookie with belgian choc for this one!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Have you had a physio check her back out spavins can cause a lot of muscle pain and that might need sorting before the bucking would stop.
I would get a good physio see if that helps you dont say how large the horse is but I don't think I would try more than two Danilon a day .
I have always found Danilon to work quickly certainly by the second day.

TequilaMist

Visit site
she has been getting a massage/exercises etc by a professional equine massager(cant think of her proper title lol) its just that everything else is more relaxed than before.You now get that big powerful warmblood trot .My right arm used to ache after a lesson of her leaning on you which with hindsight was because of hock damage on left she was throwing everything to right to compensate.Maybe just needs to work through the canter in time?

I will admit to being a bit cynical with our vet as its through insurance they do have a rep for seeing £5000 as a target not a max!
Shes 16.2.