Opinions on coloured plaiting bands?

fiwen30

Visit site
What do you think about coloured plaiting bands? Tacky or really cute?

I ask because I kit out my white-grey mare in bright, summer blue - not overly so, but I'll use a blue numnah, tendon boots, whip and fly veil. I was browsing the horsey sections of eBay (as you do!) and came across plaiting bands in the most beautiful shade of blue!

Trouble is, everyone I've chatted to about them have been very dismissive, from wondering what the point would be, to equating them to the hair ribbons and fripparies of lead-rein showing classes. Though I think Lola would look fantastic plaited with blue bands in her white mane! Obviously you could use them for fun rides, schooling and days out, but I wonder if they're legal for lower level shows and dressage and things?

Batgirl

Visit site
I am in the your horse your choice camp :) THere are no particular rules on the colour of plaiting bands for BD and considering the level of bling allowed I shouldn't think it would be a problem. Less acceptance of bling in BE though.

I use white on my Chestnut but that is a bit more traditional. I have never seen coloured ones at the Dressaage I help at.

Tnavas

Visit site
Oh dear! I wondered how long it would be before the 'Loom' bands turned up in the tack shop.

For showing, whatever level - NO
For dressage out of respect for the judge - NO
For Showjumping - fine

Capriole

Visit site
There have been brightly coloured plaiting bands around long before the loom band thing.

I think they'd be ok for anything non-serious, like you say, but I wouldn't compete in them (mind you I sew my plaits in and I've never been one for colour co-ordinating my horse/stuff, but that's just me).

Shay

Visit site
The problem with any form of coloured band is that you have to be quite precise with your plaits as they draw attention.

For just local level, low key stuff you'd probably be fine. I have to say I'm a bit of an old fashioned Pony Club type person - but I'm not with Tnavas on this. For some low level showing I can't see any objection to coloured bands - might be an advantage in prettiest mare etc. Probably not the thing for any working hunter type class though. Certainly not for Pony Club - their prejudice not mine. I never cease to be amazed at what dressage people will turn up in so you'd probably be fine at least unaffiliated - I can't see any disrespect for the judge when those crystal overbands were produced for dressage (and annoying DCs). Most people don't plait for SJ anyway so if you wanted to I can't see that anyone would mind what colour the bands were

fiwen30

Visit site
Oh dear! I know they wouldn't be very 'serious', but I keep thinking about how cute she'd look *blush* I've never competed in any sort of show in my life, so we'll be starting out with tiny little local competitions, and not necessarily going up to much bigger events. I probably wouldn't chance blue bands in any showing or dressage competitions though, from the sounds of things! We'll look awesome X-C though ;)

Meems

Visit site
I thought the idea of plaiting bands was that they are meant to blend in with your horses mane and not be blatantly visible, but then I am quite old-fashioned I guess.

Chottsy

Visit site
Do it! :) if you want to tone it down fo4 competition you could always use the blue to secure the plaits but white to roll them up! Secret colourfulness! :p (I like to pretend I'm a grown up sometimes but I would love to do this in a proper dressage comp to see if they notice)

On the plus side, coloured plaiting bands are far easier to find if you accidentally drop one in your stable! (Many years of pony days taught me to buy bright pink! Instead of brown/black!)

Burmilla

Visit site
Your pony won't mind - but some humans might! How much does their opinion matter and why? I don't mind what people dress their horses in, as long as it doesn't put them in danger or discomfort.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I probably wouldn't chance blue bands in any showing or dressage competitions though, from the sounds of things! We'll look awesome X-C though ;)

I wouldn't plait for xc - it's the only time you might need that mane! I'm Nother who thinks no, sounds god awful, but I like tradition.

Nutsaboutnags

Visit site
I say have fun with it, I would take blue over diamanté any day! I have a chestnut and she looks stunning in pale yellow, I have loads of matching bits and pieces and don't care if people think I'm daft as she looks totally gorgeous 😊 Even my trainer (also a BD judge) loves her outfits, her approach is enjoy your pony but don't dress boys in pink!!
Wear the blue with pride!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Depends if others opinion of you matters and what image (if any) you are trying to portray. If you're going for my little pony look and don't give a stuff then go for it. ;)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I seen a picture of Steph Croxford's Mr Hyde plaited in orange and green bands... don't know if he was competing but they were too perfect plaits not to be!

I say go for it... blue is hardly an offensive colour ;)

badgerdog

Visit site
Well it's not a new idea as when I was a kid in the late 70's I used to plait my pony up with green elastic bands to match his velvet browband, string girth and numnah! We just went to local shows competed in ridden classes and showjumping. A few of my friends used to do it and I can't even remember anyone even commenting on it. Being the 70's I might have even gone multi-coloured as the packets of elastic bands I used to buy came in all colours!

I would say have some fun and go for it!

atropa

Visit site
I think blue bands in a white mane sounds super cute, I'd say go for it OP! Especially if you're just starting out with low level competitions.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Are there many people who plait up for everyday, non competitive activities?!
Yes . I have seen a lot of children / teenager riding out with plaits in ( mane and tail). They are usually dressed for fun rather than hacking to a show . I just assume they have had a plaiting practise and are just enjoying the look.

Warrior_princess

Visit site
Oh gosh YES do it :) I dont show my mare but if i did she would so have pink plaiting bands in!! Im all for matchy matchy and i dont care what people think. I have my mare in black, pink and silver for hacking and everyone comments on how nice she looks. Its your horse and if thats what you like then go for it OP :) xx