Opinions on Equitrek horseboxes (not trailers)

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
We are looking to buy a horsebox, although not quite sure what we want at the moment. I would like something able to carry 3 horses (legally) with comfortable living (nothing overly special) and good storage. BUT I have also been looking at 2 horse boxes that come in under 3.5t which would mean I wouldn't have to take another test in the near future. However, we already have a nice Ifor trailer, that takes two large horses, and I don't see the point in getting a horsebox that can only carry two - I might as well stick with the trailer!

I was looking at the endeavour; http://www.equi-trek.com/endeavour.html or the endeavour elite; http://www.equi-trek.com/elite.html

Mithras

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting rid of my trailer in favour of a 3.5 tonne box. Equitrek used to do a 3.5 tonne box that went round all the big shows as a demo model which had full living and carried two horses. But I guess they must have had complaints about it being overweight because they don't seem to market it any more.

I think you could have a 3.5 tonne box with full, if sparse living. I virtually always only take one horse and would like to avoid b & b so plan to get a new conversion (not by Equitrek) and put in whatever living I need myself, made of light materials - basically just a fold down bed, seat, table and flat screen tv. Maybe a fridge and sink at a later date. At the shows I go to, there are always showers and plenty of toilets anyway.

_daisy_

Visit site
i havent seent he bigger Equitrek lorries but absolutely love the smaller ones. because of this we were looking at selling our 4x4 and equitrek trailer but decided that for our needs the 4x4 would still be needed so wasnt practical.
i really like them and they are very reasonably priced for new vehicles

Joss

Visit site
I think the Endeavours are absolutely & utterly gorgeous. Just a perfect size & everything you would need. I was in it every day at Badminton drooling.

The Elite is a bit OTT for me. The one at Badminton had horrid decor!!
tongue.gif

If you have the money then go for it, I am utterly jealous
blush.gif
grin.gif

Ashtree

www.reesrussell.co.uk
I can not see how a 3.5T vehicle can every carry 3 horses legally. A friend of mine always reckons on allowing 1 ton per horse. Probably OTT but by the time you have got horse,tack, feed and water etc on board it's a lot per horse and then you've still got yourself and passengers etc. Because I'm old I can use a 7.5t and even then I worry about carrying 3 horses - two plus a small one Ok.

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
[ QUOTE ]
I can not see how a 3.5T vehicle can every carry 3 horses legally.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't - I am looking at the 7.5t equitrek that can legally carry three horses. I have also looked at the 3.5t equitrek that can carry two horses.

frazzled

Visit site
I looked at them and to be honest felt the build quality was not as good as I would hope for. I think they feel very mass produced and not finished particularly well. The price is very high especially when you start adding in the extras, many of which are really standard fixtures.
I ended up having a box made by a local firm, got exactly what I wanted on an 05 chassis. It is made using lightweight materials and has a 2.6 ton payload on a 6.5 ton box. This carries two and has living but I know they can now make 7.5 ton lorries that can easily carry 3 using these newer materials.

eggs

Visit site
Agree that that the build quality is poor. There has to be a reason they are so much cheaper than other boxes and in the end you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine bought the 3.5 ton lorry from new and had a few issues with it (flooring getting torn, rivets holding rear padding to side ripping her horse's travel boots, etc). Both the dealer she bought it from and Equitrek couldn't have cared less ....