Opinions On Fly Masks With/ Without Nose Protection

StowfordPress

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Since my current horse is my first and we are about to spend our second summer together I'm looking to replace her fly mask she destroyed. Last year I went with one without a nose cover as her nose isn't pink and that's what I assumed they were for, but I'm now thinking if it is worth getting her one anyway?
Opinions please! Would also like recommendations on brands if anyone has them!

Chococat

Visit site
I wouldn't pay extra for nose protection if horse hasn't got pink nose unless it hates flies landing on nose area. I have found the Premier Equine Buster Standard fly mask stays on well & not badly priced. Otherwise I would go for the Equilibrium fly masks which although more expensive, seem to last for years.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I brought two (buy one get one free actually) fly masks with nose nets ... Ended up cutting the nose net part off both of them as my boy hates them! He gets suncream on his nose in the morning and a sponge of fly spray round the face area and body with his fly mask on and hey presto, happier horse.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have just bought two new Felix Buhler fly masks from Kramer, they have ears, lots of fleece in the right places, are shaped very well so as not to interfere with the eyes and have a zip on and off nose net. They were £13.90 each. I used the same fly mask last summer but without the nose part and was very impressed with it.

9tails

Visit site
If mine didn't have a pink nose I wouldn't bother with nose protection. Sunscreen just doesn't cut it unless applied every couple of hours.

Casey76

Visit site
Sometimes you just have to embarrass your ponies ;)

542925_10154641035498337_318815887477099483_n.jpg

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I use them without the nose, as I often have to muzzle.

I like Shires one, it has literally lasted 4 years so far & doesn't rub.

C1airey

Visit site
We have a Bridleway one with a nose net as his nose is pink and prone to getting pinker. Having just bought a new one, I think I'm going to have to trim the binding off the bottom as it sometimes gets folded over if he rubs his head on his legs and it's stiff enough to stay up rather than flopping back down. If he didn't have a pink nose, I wouldn't bother. Probably also good for horses with dust/pollen allergies.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Sometimes you just have to embarrass your ponies ;)

542925_10154641035498337_318815887477099483_n.jpg

I bought one like this for my shetland but I had to cut the tassels off as he's scared of life, he would have lost the plot if I'd have put that on him! He'd never worn a fly mask until last year! and he was very happy wearing it!

I've never bothered with a nose bit, my horse does have a pink bit on his nose but i just put sun cream on it!

SEL

Visit site
Although my Appy has a pink nose she can't stand fly masks with nose covers and will go out of her way to remove them. I need to protect her eyes (pink skin there too) so we've compromised with nose-less mask and sunscreen.

Merlod

Visit site
None of mine have pink noses but I have the premier equine with the nose cover, it was only a couple of quid extra and seems preferable to having flies on the lower half of the face! All mine are just as happy in the nose ones as they were in the standard ones they used to have :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I buy full face ones for one of ours that has a bit of pink on his nose. He's not a rug ripper but generally manages to tear the nose off hoods pretty quickly! They are also as mentioned more expensive. I'd stick to normal ones

Mrs.G

New User
Visit site
I bought one with a nose net for one with a pink nose but ended up cutting it off because it was irritating her nose and she was dragging her nose across the floor...silly billy....sun cream it is then!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Since my current horse is my first and we are about to spend our second summer together I'm looking to replace her fly mask she destroyed. Last year I went with one without a nose cover as her nose isn't pink and that's what I assumed they were for, but I'm now thinking if it is worth getting her one anyway?
Opinions please! Would also like recommendations on brands if anyone has them!

unless pink nose I would not bother, most here rub the nose off eventually as they hate it. My favourite is Cashel masks

Merrymoles

Visit site
Mine has a nose net and it saves his pink nose - he doesn't like suncream much. However, he always wears through the braided part at the bottom and ends up with just the actual net bit!

Rollin

Visit site
I have lots of unused fly masks. I stopped using them when I found the ears full of dead flies. If they can crawl up underneath the mask, no point.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I found nose bits far too tempting for fields companions to play with and chew, I think the dangly bits on Casey76's horse would be irresistible and I would find them scattered round the fields.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
another vote for equilibrium,i have had one with ears and one without for the last 8 years and they are both still being used daily. i didnt need nose cover as horse doesnt have any white...