Opinions on horse?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwpSMj0Xl_0

14.2hh 5 year old gelding.
Realise he looks very awkward in the video, but with a complete re-start from basics and correct schooling, do you think he'd come good? I can't work out if I should go see him (he's quite a trek away), as I don't want to get there and it be a wasted journey.

Would be quite happy for him to be project, if I were to get him, like I mentioned, would be completely re-started and then hopefully some low level dressage and jumping in the future.

Thoughts? Ooh, and if you could include what you'd be willing to pay for him - that would be awesome too, as I think he's overpriced at the minute so would be looking to haggle a little if I were to see him and like him.

zigzag

Visit site
Looks immature and backward, has a lot of filling out, looks a bit anxious when being ridden, but also looks a bit of a sweetheart, rider a bit of an idiot with the loose horse (not the sort of thing I would do,) but did show the horse in a good light.

Would like to see him in heavier traffic, don't think he has seen much because he was a bit unsure, Price? I wouldn't pay more than £600

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Yeah, your thoughts are exactly the same as mine. It's the him looking like a sweetheart that made me think twice about him :') Especially as i'm looking for a project so re-starting from scratch would not be an issue.

Funny! Your price is under half of what he's up for :O

Auslander

Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwpSMj0Xl_0

14.2hh 5 year old gelding.
Realise he looks very awkward in the video, but with a complete re-start from basics and correct schooling, do you think he'd come good? I can't work out if I should go see him (he's quite a trek away), as I don't want to get there and it be a wasted journey.

Would be quite happy for him to be project, if I were to get him, like I mentioned, would be completely re-started and then hopefully some low level dressage and jumping in the future.

Thoughts? Ooh, and if you could include what you'd be willing to pay for him - that would be awesome too, as I think he's overpriced at the minute so would be looking to haggle a little if I were to see him and like him.

Why do you think he needs restarting? He's being very nicely ridden by someone who is clearly accustomed to just-backed babies - i'd say he'd had pretty good start already!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Why do you think he needs restarting? He's being very nicely ridden by someone who is clearly accustomed to just-backed babies - i'd say he'd had pretty good start already!

Any baby i'd buy i'd take back to basics just to ensure they have everything there. Might sound silly, but won't harm them in long run and gives me peace of mind that they have a good foundation :)

Delhi Belly

Visit site
Lovely pony. Looks to have been backed nicely and sympathetically. Rider on him is extremely good and doesn't restrict him at all. Just needs bringing on. The sort I'd buy. They will easily get £1000 maybe more for him as it seems clear that all the basics are well in place.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
People elsewhere (that I posted asking for opinions also) are questioning the combination of grackle and dutch gag on the lowest hole and why you'd be riding in youngster in this. Can't see the bit properly myself (my eyesight is terrible), but if it is the case, would this be of great concern to you?

Auslander

Visit site
Any baby i'd buy i'd take back to basics just to ensure they have everything there. Might sound silly, but won't harm them in long run and gives me peace of mind that they have a good foundation :)

Nope - doesn't sound silly. However, I'd be a bit hacked off if I was the lovely, quiet, competent rider who has started this pony, and read online someone saying they'd want to restart it to make sure it was done properly - but luckily I'm not him!

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
People elsewhere (that I posted asking for opinions also) are questioning the combination of grackle and dutch gag on the lowest hole and why you'd be riding in youngster in this. Can't see the bit properly myself (my eyesight is terrible), but if it is the case, would this be of great concern to you?

It's only got one lower ring, so not as bad as it sounds. He's got very quiet hands and isn't pulling it around, so that wouldn't worry me unduly. Grackle wouldn't be my first choice for a baby, but some like them to encourage a quiet mouth from the outset.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Nope - doesn't sound silly. I'd be a bit hacked off if I was the lovely, quiet, competent rider who has started this pony, and read online someone saying they'd want to restart it to make sure it was done properly - but luckily I'm not him!

That's fair enough but I don't think that would bother me if I were him as I'd like to know pony was going to someone who was intent in ensuring good basics before they go any further, so as not to leave any gaps in training. That's just me though - I imagine people would have varying opinions, just like they seem to about the pony himself, haha.

Thanks for everyones comments and opinions :) Very interesting!

Delhi Belly

Visit site
I did notice the grackle and whilst it wouldn't be my first choice, as someone else said, some people like to encourage a quiet mouth from the outset. Maybe if you phone about him you could ask the owner why he is ridden in that combination. We can all speculate on here, but you need to hear it from the horse's mouth :) as it were.

SpringArising

Visit site
I like him a lot. I'd pay anything up to £1,700.

Saying that, I can't decide whether he's unsound or just unbalanced. Looks fine in walk and canter, but I definitely saw some slight head nodding in trot.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Looks very green and unsure but a trier.
I don't like the bit and nose band combination, it should be basics for a youngster learning.

Looks scared of the car but at least he didn't freak out so trusted his rider.

I say about. £1000 is a good price, a bit more or less depending on when I met him and saw Bs tried him in person.

L&M

Visit site
My thoughts fwiw - a lovely youngster not long since backed, hence the lack of bend and balance, but thought the lad rode him very sympathetically. Not sure about the loose horse thing but again reflects a nice natured pony.

Like others have mentioned, there were a few dodgy trot strides, but at that age would put it down to balance, and if there was an issue a vetting would pick it up.

I would be prepared to pay around the £1200 - £1500 mark and a lot to like.

ihatework

Visit site
This is a very nice type of pony.
I wouldn't be concerned about how he has been started.

I do however have a question mark over soundness. Could easily just be green unbalanced baby on grass though.

On the assumption he would pass a vetting they will get £1500 for him no probs

SpringArising

Visit site
At 1:05, it almost looks as though the rider knows he's about to start nodding, so stops trotting.

1:20 and 1:28 onwards is where he looks most lame to me.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Nope - doesn't sound silly. However, I'd be a bit hacked off if I was the lovely, quiet, competent rider who has started this pony, and read online someone saying they'd want to restart it to make sure it was done properly - but luckily I'm not him!

I really feel for these sensible, competent dealer / breakers when you read stuff people say about how they've fixed this (non-existent) problem and that problem since buying their horse sometimes...

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I really feel for these sensible, competent dealer / breakers when you read stuff people say about how they've fixed this (non-existent) problem and that problem since buying their horse sometimes...

Just like to mention that there's a difference between wanting to go back to basics because I want to ensure a good foundation and going back to basics to try and show the dealer in a bad light or whatever by making up untrue claims about the horse. I wasn't there to see the horse broken in and as such can't know what they did, how they did it..so just like the peace of mind of knowing nothing was missed out. I don't really see a problem in that.

I'm sure many people do pretend like they fixed some non-existent problem, but I don't see what relevance that has to this post :)

Moomin1

Visit site
Looks unsound to me on the left rein. Very unbalanced and lacking in strength/maturity still. I would pay no more than £1000 (well, that's a lie, I wouldn't pay any more than £500 but that's because it's really not my type anyway lol).

I think the vid is a bit ridiculous too and smacks of wheeler dealer.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Just like to mention that there's a difference between wanting to go back to basics because I want to ensure a good foundation and going back to basics to try and show the dealer in a bad light or whatever by making up untrue claims about the horse. I wasn't there to see the horse broken in and as such can't know what they did, how they did it..so just like the peace of mind of knowing nothing was missed out. I don't really see a problem in that.

I'm sure many people do pretend like they fixed some non-existent problem, but I don't see what relevance that has to this post :)

Why not buy unbroken then if that's what you want? Serious question - it's cheaper and you get to know 100% everything is done as you want it done. Fwiw, I agree with Aus that it's very sensible to make sure it's all covered, but I would still be peeved to read these sorts of comments if I were selling it.

HBrae2

Visit site
I think he looks unsound. Nice pony and looks like he has a lovely nature but, as he's lame, I wouldn't travel to see him.

Moomin1

Visit site
Why not buy unbroken then if that's what you want? Serious question - it's cheaper and you get to know 100% everything is done as you want it done. Fwiw, I agree with Aus that it's very sensible to make sure it's all covered, but I would still be peeved to read these sorts of comments if I were selling it.

You probably would if you were a dealer, but at the end of the day, if the dealer has clearly done half a job, or not a very good job at all, then that's the name of the game - they are going to get bad things written.

The rider in this vid looks ok, but the horse doesn't look much further on from the very basic of training, so I would doubt they would get offended by someone saying they want to start again from pure scratch, because it's not much further on now by the looks of things.

JFTDWS

Visit site
You probably would if you were a dealer, but at the end of the day, if the dealer has clearly done half a job, or not a very good job at all, then that's the name of the game - they are going to get bad things written.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, as I wouldn't say this guy has done a bad job on the face of things, and if the horse is being sold as basic training established, I'd say he's done his job fully and just fine. If he's selling it as a BD ready competition pony, yep, half a job done, but somehow I doubt that...

_HP_

Visit site
Don't like the bit or the grackle...pony looked very unrelaxed, was coughing (or trying to with his mouth clamped shut), has the squits and did look unlevel on one rein.
Rider looked to me to be expecting it to go up at any moment...:)