Opinions on keeping youngstock

Lyle

Visit site
Just after a few opinions on paddocking youngstock (weanlings)

I recently purchased two welsh cob weanlings. Well, I purchased one and my OH set me a challenge to find him a friend, so naturally, within a week we had two :D
I currently have them paddocked with my retired eventer, who is unshod and a little creaky in the joints but a very relaxed and fair horse who has done babysitting in the past. He's totally happy to have the two ankle biters in with him, and is doing a good job keeping the peace. I'm lucky to have my own property and ample paddocks, so can set up various paddock arrangements. So my question is...

Is it a good idea to keep an older horse in with youngstock, and if so, how long for?
At what age would be a good age to seperate the two cobs into their own domain?

My idea was to leave them in with the old boy for a couple of months until they were settled, and then give him some respite. He's been useful when the babies saw Kangaroos for the first time pinging through the fences because he didn't bat an eyelid and they ran to him for comfort.

DSB

Visit site
We have a retired TB mare[probably the best mare on the farm],with the weanlings,the colts will come out shortly and go out with an old pony,gelding.They stay in their groups until they come in for sales prep about November.They all seem happy together and as you say cling to the nanny in moments of fright.Makes them easy to work with as they will follow the oldie into the yard,box or on a truck.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
This sounds ideal to me. The older one can keep them in their place, but they have each other to play with. Just worth keeping an eye on the oldie, though, in case he starts to find baby sitting more onerous as he ages.

When I had a lot of youngsters of the same age, I just kept them together in a group of 5 - 8 - same sex. Now I have far fewer, I just mix them up suitably. So the unbacked fillies are with a couple of retired brood mares (1 of 22yo). And 3 young geldings with a couple of older retired geldings (the oldest of whom is 25.) The oldest in each group is not the boss - just stays out of trouble - but watching them for signs of undue trouble whic woud not be from the youngsters. I certainly would want an older horse in with 2 - otherwise they will become too dependent on each other.

babymare

Visit site
Personally I think your set up is perfect and would leave it has it is as long has your elderly chap doesn't show signs of having enough of them. They have each other to rough and tumble with but the sensible elder influence. Plus it allows you to bring in separately to "play" with whilst a companion for 1left in field.

Lyle

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I'll keep them as is :)

Old boy seems pretty happy, because now there is THREE sets of feed bins to lick clean between feed ups. He's fairly unflustered but can still move when he wants too, so I can't see him struggling too much with them at the moment.

honetpot

Visit site
I have a huge three year old colt and he is bossed by a 14.2 pony. I put young colts out with a nanny mare and really all it takes is a look for them to back off. The chances are they will leave him alone, the grumpy uncle in the corner. I keep them in even numbers and sometimes swop the pairing, so they never get too strongly attached to one pony.