Opinions on mercedes horseboxes ?

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Specifically the mercedes 1117 Eco Power. 1998 11 ton model.

How are these for reliability, Economy, and parts?

Do they give the horses a smooth and stable ride ( it does have air suspension) as I heard that mercedes lorries will rock horses around?

Are they good on fuel, Do they last well or are they the type to rot away?

whizzer

Visit site
Don't know much about them except when we were looking a few years ago we were told by our mechanic that they do 'rock 'n'roll' as he put it! He said wouldn't be a problem but then he knows nothing about horses so we didn't go & see the one that was advertised.

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Thanks Whizzer!! That is what I heard as well. But this one has adjustable air suspension I was wondering how much of a difference that would make?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Mercs are bullet proof engine wise, you can play about having the springs uprated to provide a firmer ride, I wouldn't say they are any different from any other wagon, I am guessing you are going for carrying 3/4 horses, in which case it would make sense to upgrade the springs.

popsdosh

Visit site
Mercs are bullet proof engine wise, you can play about having the springs uprated to provide a firmer ride, I wouldn't say they are any different from any other wagon, I am guessing you are going for carrying 3/4 horses, in which case it would make sense to upgrade the springs.
No springs to uprate with AS you should be fine with 11 tonner on air only an issue with 7.5s. It will be pretty bombproof however parts are not cheap if there are issues.I personally have no problem with non tilt cabs ,however some people are paranoid about them.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone!!

ROG- what would this involve? Would that be a lot of extra hassle and cost?

The EU driver regs exemption is for the private/non commercial driving of LGVs where the GVW is not more than 7.5 tonnes

All LGVs whether being driven privately or commercially com under EU regs

If under EU regs the driver must use and conform to all the tacho regs which means that in any fixed week, usually written as week, which is sunday midnight to sunday midnight, if any driving under EU regs was done then the driver must conform to the daily and weekly rest rules as well as officially recording all other work o any sort done in that week

Recording other work is easier done on separate analogue cards using one for each day worked with your name date start and finish time on each

GENERALLY - If you work mon to fri then you can only drive under EU regs for one day every other weekend because there must be a 45 hours unbroken rest at east every other week

Is this sounding like too much of an issue ?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:102:0001:0013:EN:PDF

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chographs-goods-vehicles-in-gb-and-europe.pdf

Have fun !

Nic

Visit site
Come Armageddon the world will be populated by cockroaches & my 25yo Merc 1314 :)

Utterly safe & reliable & I would definitely have another Merc in the future.

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Thanks Nic..it does sound a proper workhorse! And Rog thank you too for all the info!!
I had completly forgotten about the working week thing as there was all that uproar about it when the rules first came out. How did all the hundreds of professional riders get around that rude ?! They all drive HGV 's and all work pretty much all day every day yet drive to comps all the time?!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks Nic..it does sound a proper workhorse! And Rog thank you too for all the info!!
I had completly forgotten about the working week thing as there was all that uproar about it when the rules first came out. How did all the hundreds of professional riders get around that rude ?! They all drive HGV 's and all work pretty much all day every day yet drive to comps all the time?!
VOSA check on them often so they now comply - perhaps using more than one driver

Sorry- * get around that Rule not rude!' *
Perhaps some are rude because IMO its a dumb law for private driving

applestroodle

Visit site
I have a Mercedes Atego 815 for 7 years, she has been very reliable, touches wood quick!! I have a had a few probs with the computerised dash board and sensors but she is bullet proof. :)