Opinions on my thoughts please!

Quadro

Visit site
Hi all,
Just wondered what you all thought to this. I have ten acres at my house, and stables being built, but only enough for my horses. Do you think that someone would be interested in free/very cheap livery in return for looking after our horses when away at big shows? Would probably be about 6 times a year, and they would have plenty of notice. In summer would just be checking them etc. We would happily do their horse if they were away etc?

SadKen

Visit site
Are you looking at grass livery for the guest horse?

Whether grass or in, certainly I think you'd probably have a queue. I'd love an arrangement like this for my girl when she got older with her out as much as possible. I'd want a contract drawn up though, with the view that if the person who is getting livery will be liable for the cost of a professional if they aren't able to do the horses when you're away, and that'll be itemised on their monthly bill.

I'd have thought it's just a matter of getting the right person though.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Just explain that one again....it sounds like you want someone to come and help look after your horses (potentially up to ten of them) and in return they will be able to keep their horses at your yard when some of your horses are away at competition?

chaps89

Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following either. You say you only have space for your horses but then go on to say you'll offer livery, how will you do this if you've no space? You couldn't have just 1 out at grass if the rest are coming in and equally if it's that they take your space whilst you're away I'm not sure I can see people going for that, they would presumably still have to pay their normal livery whilst at yours.
Hopefully you can come back and clarify :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I wouldn't try and set up that arrangement if I were you, instead try and find a reliable freelancer for when you are away. If someone arrives now, has free livery until Easter and then decides to leave, what will you do, also you don't know, until the arrangement is going, how much you trust the livery to do a good enough job of looking after yours.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think I'd pay a freelancer as well rather than take on a livery. Seems like a situation that might either work really well for both parties or be utterly fraught with conflict. And the risk of conflict would put me off.

Squirily

Visit site
I have an arrangement like this with a friend (providing you mean the livery could stay year round and not just when you are away). My livery pays a reduced rate and helps with turning out/bringing in, farrier etc. while i'm at work, she will also do all mine if I have to go away for a few days for work. She is happy she has a quiet settled yard for her horse, I am happy as it means I have some company and help. Long may it continue!
But I knew her and her horse already, I would be unlikely to enter an arrangement like this with someone I didn't know. If you mean they could only bring their horse to stay when you're away, I know I wouldn't be keen on that unless you have amazing facilities. The upheaval of moving horse for a few days/weeks wouldn't be worth it for me.

Quadro

Visit site
Just to clairfy is free grass livery all year round. 4 of my own horses and 2 minis. Would never be the 4 though as generally at least 2 if not more would be away with us, so likely just looking after 1 horse and 2 minis.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think you are limiting who might do it if there is no access to a stable.
I'd also probably locate a good freelancer.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I had a similar arrangement with someone and I ended up doing far more for her than she ever did for me. I'm another who says keep your yard to yourself and find a good freelancer for the times you are away, especially as you will be able to give them plenty of notice.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Somebody will bite your hand off Im sure - so many horses in our area are looking for full year grass turnout due to so many issues/illness - Id be amazed if you don't have a long queue!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d absolutely be up for that. I’d love a place my old man can live out. He’d be happy with minis for company and I’d not have to be forking out more money! Win win

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
would there be any chance of a field shelter so that the person has somewhere dry and sheltered if they want to change rugs, groom, tack up etc. otherwise i think you would be limited with who would be interested. personally, if i had my own place i would rather pay a freelancer for the time i was away or only have someone on livery that i already knew...

Nativelover

Visit site
I think it’s a good opportunity for the right person, would you be open to the ‘livery’ building their own stable??
Regardless of whether the ‘livery’ is happy with a no stable arrangement, what if their horse became ill and needed to be stabled long term? Have you thought about storage for them to use??

Quadro

Visit site
Plenty of storage for hay, bedding, rugs etc. Could corner off a section of our big shed in emergencies but all the stables will be full. Also have secure locked tack room. Unlimited off road hacking