Opinions on standing on horses.

marmalade76

Visit site
It seems to be the in thing to do these days. I've seen pics of horses/ponies advertised for sale with someone standing on their backs, I've seen someone advertising their services as a trainer/breaker with a pic of himself standing on a four year old, numerous kids and teens posting pics of themselves on FB doing it and now even on my old PC FB page, which I find rather odd considering that PC members have to wear BPs for most things now and (so I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong) that riding bareback at PC is a big no no now. It was certainly not something that was ever done when I was in the PC.

I don't approve, apart from the obvious dangers and that it may harm the horses back I feel it's rather disrespectful to the horse, they are not toys or climbing frames and if I caught my children doing it their pony would be confiscated!! It doesn't prove anything, I don't need to do things like that to mine to prove that they trust me and I trust them. What is it with this darn trick??

Feel free to call me a grumpy kill joy if you wish, I won't cry :p

Dry Rot

Visit site
Their horse, and provided it does no harm, they can do what they like with it. Yes, I think you are being a bit of a kill joy! Childish to stand on horses' backs but if they want to do it, why not?

The more you train animals, the more trainable they become. Does standing on their backs really harm them? I thought they did that with people as a form of massage?

Personally, I won't have anything to do with anything over four foot from the ground. Higher than that and I want scaffolding, safety harness, and a hard hat…oh, and one of those inflatable jacket things.:D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Generally done for horses that haven't been schooled very well, so the seller uses it as a way to imply the horse is bomb proof as they cannot produce a photo of a nicely working horse.
It proves nothing of the sort but may impress a novice buyer looking for a living bicycle.

STRIKER

Visit site
I disagree it must be so uncomfortable for the horse pressur centered around a small part of their back, foolish imo

nikicb

www.facebook.com
How do you feel about something like this then? (Random vaulting image taken from the internet.)

211709,xcitefun-equestrian-vaulting-6.jpg

It doesn't really float my boat, but I think there are a lot more issues to worry about in the horse world than standing on their backs for a short period.

ETA As long as the appropriate risk assessments take place I think it is still perfectly acceptable for children to ride bareback in both PC and at RS. I know my kids certainly have.

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've never understood why photos used in a sales advert, which shows that someone is able to stand on the horse's back, should somehow be a proof of that the horse is bombproof. I could have understood it better, if they used photos showing the horse walking over or under a tarp or similar. On the other hand, if too many began to add such photos to their adverts, I would maybe begin to question that as well.

But if we're talking about standing on their horse's back which doesn't involve sale adverts, then I've heard about it being used e.g. as a method for the rider to gain more confidence and get a better balance, which to me sounds like something that could benefit the horse, once the rider is back in the saddle.
There is also those that stands on their horse's back, as part of doing Equestrian vaulting or Puszta five, also called Hungarian post or Koch- five, which I personally doesn't view as being disrespectful towards the horses.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Strangely enough my old school riding instructor, who was Chief Instructor of the local Pony Club, used it as a balance exercise in lessons for a few athletic people. Once you could do round the worlds, half scissors, full scissors you could try standing on your pony. If your saddle fits then there should be little difference in pressure whether you are lying across the saddle, sitting on it, standing on it or standing on one leg on it. I can only remember one boy managing it though. I certainly never could.

Nicnac

Visit site
How do you feel about something like this then? (Random vaulting image taken from the internet.)

211709,xcitefun-equestrian-vaulting-6.jpg

Personally the most disconcerting part of that photo is the man in white tights!

Agree - wouldn't go see a horse advertised with someone standing on it for the sales photo, but remember clambering all over ponies as a kid and bareback riding. I was lucky that daughter hit pony club before it became 'elf & safety' club and she flew down jumping lanes w/o stirrups or reins whilst singing and no BP. Funnily enough it didn't kill her.

STRIKER

Visit site
These are athletic folk who probably weigh nothing just like you get heavy and light riders and the horse is no doubt used to this daily training so his muscles are prepared for it, but the man of 5.8 standing on a horses back ocassionally when horse isnt muscled up for it, doesnt make me smile. Agree i wud rather see a Rider carrying a basket on each arm with fruit in to tell me the horse is bomb proof.

ameeyal

Visit site
i personaly would prefere it they didn't stand on their horses backs, it doeasnt prove a thing, a friend of mine bought a cob from a dealer who has people standing on her horses backs to advertise, my friend sent the cob back as it was just to much for her

mandwhy

Visit site
I can barely sit upright on a horse let alone stand on one, you wouldn't get me doing it and it puts me off adverts because it doesn't mean anything to me, I think it is tacky. However I don't really think it hurts the horse as long as you're not standing on their loins, and these people are generally a lot more athletic and bouncy than I am so I assume they'd gracefully backflip off and land with a salute.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Seeing an advert with pictures of people standing on the horse does not make me think 'wow, that horse is quiet, I want to buy it', I just think it looks unprofessional.

myponyvic

Visit site
I think you're being a spoil sport in some respects haha. If it's doing no harm to the horse then meh, I don't have much of an opinion. If they fall and break something then it's their fault. Respect to them for having the guts to stand on a horse though. Couldn't pay me enough money to do it. I'd poop myself.
I don't see why riding bareback is such a bad thing. It teaches balance and stability in my opinion. As long as it is done on a relatively safe horse if your balance isn't the greatest then I don't see the issue. First time I rode bareback was on a 15.3 Irish Sports. Never, ever again. I hate riding bareback but can see the appeal.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I can't see the problem with people standing on horse's backs - it's what people who do vaulting, Roman riding, stunt riding, etc. do, and no different from sitting on them IMO. Sounds a tad snobbish to comment on it, actually. Not that I spend any time standing on mine, unfortunately too old and stiff to do that sort of thing nowadays, but I do regret not having a go at Roman riding when I was younger. If anyone has seen and enjoyed the Magnificent Lorenzo standing on 2 while controlling up to 7 and jumping as well (think he's been at Olympia or somewhere like that?), then they shouldn't take exception to someone having a go at something a little different.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Whats wrong with his tights?

I don't know, but e.g. some people seems to just not like seeing men in tights, there is also the possibility that certain male details can sometimes be detectable/visible under tights.

I can't see the problem with people standing on horse's backs - it's what people who do vaulting, Roman riding, stunt riding, etc. do, and no different from sitting on them IMO. Sounds a tad snobbish to comment on it, actually. Not that I spend any time standing on mine, unfortunately too old and stiff to do that sort of thing nowadays, but I do regret not having a go at Roman riding when I was younger. If anyone has seen and enjoyed the Magnificent Lorenzo standing on 2 while controlling up to 7 and jumping as well (think he's been at Olympia or somewhere like that?), then they shouldn't take exception to someone having a go at something a little different.

I forgot to count the number of horses, I was too busy just looking at them, and what they were doing, but it is the magnificent Lorenzo:

[youtube]R9_mdwvU1Gc[/youtube]

Penumbra

Visit site
I know a riding school that occassionally allows the little ones to stand on the pony's back at the end of the lesson instead of doing things like round the world etc. For them, it's a confidence building thing, and a bit of fun. The children who are allowed to do it are always light and small, so as not to cause harm to the horse's back. They also let some of the more experienced riders ride bareback sometimes.

I agree in a horse advert it doesn't show much, although it does at least show the horse probably knows how to stand and isn't completely unpredictable.

And of course, as others have said, disciplines like vaulting are based around standing on the horse's back, so it can't be that harmful.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

Oh well, someone had to. Charlie was my eventer, then my husband's horse, then everyone's good egg. He was trained to do proper stuff too. :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
Meh.., can't we the point but then there's probably not a lot of point to Piaffe but I've trained horses to do that - what ever floats your boat I suppose...

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Meh.., can't we the point but then there's probably not a lot of point to Piaffe but I've trained horses to do that - what ever floats your boat I suppose...

This ^ As long as you're not a massive adult jumping vigorously up and down on a tiny ponies back I really don't care what weird things you wanna do with your horse. Piaffe included

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
I don't know, but e.g. some people seems to just not like seeing men in tights, there is also the possibility that certain male details can sometimes be detectable/visible under tights.

neither do I... It just being overly prude tbh... ballet dancers, circus performers, gymnasts.... and in this case not trying to show off his tackle but not getting caught in the saddle, stirrups or whatever.

only_me

Visit site
Like this?

imagejpg1_zps750a1e52.jpg

Also a double evil, not wearing a hat. Oh and we were on a small cliff :p

I probably shouldn't mention the lions who are just out of frame in the back right ;)

Why do it? Because its fun!
One of my all time fave photos which is proudly displayed on my wall, which reminds me of when I was working there :)

Last edited:

BBP

Visit site
I've done the stand as part of my trick riding training. It's a lot tougher on rider than horse! The landing back in the saddle is the bit that has greatest potential to cause the horse discomfort, it takes skill to land lightly from a stand. Photos like that don't bother me at all.