Opinions on these legs....

noodle_

Visit site
I think it could be a simple knock but...

swelling around the hock point's - squidgy but no heat - on the inside of the leg a little further down is warm... they have been a little "up" for a few days but seem to be quite large today (compared to y'day)

Ive put ice bottle stuff on them and put her out as i believe fluid should be walked?!

no kicks, she may have banged it going down so given her amuch thicker bed -ilooks like im buying some mats next month (skint this month tbh so thick bed only...)

How do i treat these? cold hosing and keep with the ice stuff f (bottle which my eventer friend uses)

hock1_zpsfa8a0a8a.jpg

hock2_zpsf50d10b9.jpg

hock3_zps9d89a4fd.jpg

cheers :)

WelshRuby

Visit site
Capped hocks. No treatment and they will probably go down by themselves.
Or you could get them drained/steroid inj by the vet but they would probs return.
Oh and they are painless!
Hope they go down soon

Last edited:

amage

Visit site
They are capped hocks! Walking and movement won't do anything to shift that fluid. Steroid treatment as soon as it happens can help but probably too late now, topical application of DMSO can help and I have also had success with the IceVibe hock wrap

amage

Visit site
Cold hosing can help if they are just freshly capped but if there a few days or longer its probably too late for that to have much effect

noodle_

Visit site
i did google but figured as per usual i make a mountain out of everything :D i can google till the ends of the earth but experience from horse owners goes further in my book :)

if they go down themselves i will leave well alone - i did also read about draining them but this can also cause more harm than good

too late for the vet?

fonax

Visit site
she has capped her hocks! when did it happen? if they are still spongy and the swelling hasnt gone hard yet u can get rid of them if they feel hard to touch then there is nothing you can do she will have them for life. hosing wont do much but a cooling gel rubbed in well might help. you will need to get a box of DIURIZONE powders from your local vet.about 15euro per packet. there should be 4 packets in the box give her two tonight and one in the morning in her feed or mix with water and syringe into her mouth. if this doesnt work the first time there is no point in trying again it will either work first time or not at all. it will remove and access fuild from her system which is what capped hocks and windgalls etc are. it is a build up of fuild .

noodle_

Visit site
i will still ice....see if that helps - without being awful if its not life threatening i wont be ringing the vet today on a sunday :D

will give her a few days and hose too as the base of them are pretty hot (inside her leg) probably due to a knock if thats whats happened... :)

thank you :)