Opinions on this horsebox?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd want to see a lot more pictures before I even considered going to look at it. It looks neat and tidy BUT . . .

Ask for pics:

With the ramp down and the loading gates closed and also with the loading gates open - both ramps.

Of the partitions in place and swung back, of the join between the ramp and body (both ramps) and of the hinges and springs.

Of the floor in the horse area.

Of the cab inside

and definitely of the other side of the lorry.

Ask how tall it is inside then work out if that's ok for the size of horse you are intending to carry. Ifor Williams have a guide to the heights of their trailers for comparison on their website if you look carefully for it.

Unless of course you are very close to it.

It is expensive for that type of lorry but 3.5 tonners are popular. People will tell you they roll like goodun's but mine was OK. See if you can find out when the belt was changed - I had one go bang - expensive mistake.

Be aware that it is unlikely to carry two big horses. You need to get the weight checked on a weighbridge.

frazzled

Visit site
I know b****r all about them ,but isn't there some new law /regulations coming in about height off the road and that looks very high as it has no skirts.
Please feel free to ignore this as may be talking total tosh.

cm2581

Visit site
I had one almost exactly the same and was shocked to find it was 2.7 tonnes unladen. Add me plus one of my horses (550kg ish) and some tack and hey presto you have an overweight vehicle with void insurance and driver with points and fine. So unless you have ponies don't touch it with a barge pole.

lisa_lou

Visit site
LOL!! Thats the box i was interested in but after reading replies to your post im now unsure. I need something to transport a 15,2 thoroughbred and sec a yearling but will need it to do the job for 2 x 15.2 thoroughbreds sometimes. Its very unclear as most 3.5 tonne boxes say carries 2 x 16.2 but replies to your post state otherwise and also i would be worried about going over 3.5 with 2 biggies yet they still state it would be fine.
I had arranged to go and view it but now very unsure!

Bri

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies - think I will give it a miss then. Horse is only 15.1hh, but would be nice to have the option to take something bigger if necessary!

Could anyone point me in the direction of something else? Really have no idea what is a good/bad horsebox! Thanks!

perfect11s

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies - think I will give it a miss then. Horse is only 15.1hh, but would be nice to have the option to take something bigger if necessary!

Could anyone point me in the direction of something else? Really have no idea what is a good/bad horsebox! Thanks!
If you want to take two then you need bigger than 3.5 ton gross, if you passed your test before 1997 or would take your hgv test you could look at bigger lorrys which are much better value than a 3.5 ton and you will easly find something to carry two about 5k should buy a decent basic 7.5 ton... you could look for a box van conversion on a daf 45
or eurocargo

Bri

Visit site
Thanks perfect11s.

I only want something to take 1 most of the time, or 2 small horses/ponies. we have just sold our 7.5t as my mum could no longer drive it and I dont have the right license unfortunately :(

I'm only 23, so ideally would like something smaller that can be driven on a normal license. Have been looking at the renault masters - but I'm very sceptical about them as they just don't look big or sturdy enough to carry a horse!

kick_On

Visit site
You need to make wish list about any vehicle

1) that it's mechanically sound with good services record, paperwork
2) you need to know what job it did before being converted into horse transport
3) if you not good with mechanically stuff take someone who is or get number of garage they used to service vehicle and see what they say, long pauses tell you lots........
4) look how well drivers cab has been looked after

then you need to know about horse area:
1) floor
2) partition etc...
3) where does tack go??

then human bits:
1) does it have things you want you need to right you list here and make sure it all working!!

LASTLY
shine paintwork is lovely, BUT it should be almost last on your list!

Go and put you nose around in lorry park at local show or events and see what everyone has. Plus you need to do lots of internet searching, as it will tell you what you can roughly get for your money.

foxy1

Visit site
OP I have a 3.5t VW lt 35 so it can be driven on a post 1997 car licence.

It takes one large horse or two ponies; could take a horse and a little pony welsh A size as the partitions are adjustable so just move the biggest area for the horse and leave a smaller area for a pony.

I would avoid transits as although they have great engines and gear boxes, they are very high off the ground which makes them rock from side to side with a horse on board.

I love my VW and would fully recommend to you.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks Kick_On. We will be taking a mechanic friend with us if/when we find one suitable to go and look at. I've been searching horsemart/h&h for a while - are there any other good websites?

With regards to the floor- what is ideal?

We have a fairly flexible budget so would we be better off going for a newer box or are the older ones usually okay as well (as long as looked after properly obviously!)?

foxy1 thank you - exactly the sort of recommendation I was looking for! Will look into those. Really stupid question - what is a transit? :rolleyes:

kick_On

Visit site
Thanks Kick_On. We will be taking a mechanic friend with us if/when we find one suitable to go and look at. I've been searching horsemart/h&h for a while - are there any other good websites?

With regards to the floor- what is ideal?

We have a fairly flexible budget so would we be better off going for a newer box or are the older ones usually okay as well (as long as looked after properly obviously!)?

aluminuim with drain holes, but wood is very acceptable so long as it has good drainage aswell. But it;s like anything it's all about how folks have looked after floor, making they clean out everytime. My horses are trained to pee into bucket :) but i still check floor and makes sure it still good

horsequest and horsedeals other good website

If it was me i would look to spend more money and get better made box, with lower floor as more stable. But the more you search and read up the better, you'll bemuch wiser when you see stuff in the flesh. I still would be very nosey at local show as there folks haven't polish stuff for sale so you can see what they looked like used.....

Louby

Visit site
Sorry I dont like it. It seems very high off the floor, maybe thats just an illusion as it doesnt have skirts, also the side ramp looks narrow and I reckon anything other than a pony would struggle to turn to come out of it without scraping there sides.
Ive just sold my 7.5t as I wasnt using it enough, I could get a nice 3.5t which was my aim once we got going again but Im not sure now with a big horse. I think I will be on the look out for a 7.5t again.

foxy1

Visit site
A Transit is a Ford Transit which is the model and make of the chassis (the engine, cab and base bit of the horsebox)

The link you put up is a Ford Transit, as I said they are brilliant vans but don't make great horseboxes.

Be careful also of the rear facing boxes with the tack area at the rear of the box. There have been some truely horrific accidents where the horse has become trapped in the tack area where even the fire service can't cut them out and the horses have had to be put to sleep.

natalia

Visit site
I've also just got myself a vw lt 35 and love it! It's really light and body is largely fibre glass on roof and over top of cab so I have a large payload for a 3.5 ton box. I take my 16.2hh lw mare and my 15.2hh lw mare with no problems and within weight. The horse sections are massive and I could easily take a 17hh. The ramp is also really light and low which was important to me as I needed to make sure I could lift it on my own. The only thing I notice is that with two on board it's very very slow as engine isn't that big (2.6 d) so I tend to just use it for two to run to local things. Mine is a bit shabby on the outside but i'm really pleased with it.

foxy1

Visit site
Yes mine is also fibreglass roof, very low light ramp, cut through cab and plenty of payload for two horses but I struggle with the length of the horse area (loads of width and height) so I make it much bigger so my horse can stand slightly diagonally, hence making the other side a bit smaller.
Having said that my horse has been a difficult traveller in the past (panics easily) so perhaps with a 'normal' traveller you may not have this trouble and easily fit two in.

When I bought the lorry it was described as takes two 17.2hh.

I parked next to someone in an identical lorry to mine at a show, and they also really loved it!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
We had one on my old yard like this and to be frank unless you liked mountaineering or wanted to transport goats i would not touch with a barge pole - you could just about get a 13.2hh in it and the steepness or the ramps was horrific

natalia

Visit site
Foxy1- my two are both quite compact and short in the back so haven't had any trouble with length. They are tall but more the shape of equine super models than cobby things so fit fine. My friend has also just bought a lt35 and also is really pleased. Right now we are boh turning up to shows with equally battered looking lorries! I looked at a few transits with ifor williams bodies but tbh they all seemed very high and dark inside. Nothing I've travelled in mine so far has travelled badly so can't be bad!

foxy1

Visit site
Yes, bound to be my slightly unhinged horse!

The paintwork on mine is a little battered too although I will have it painted this year; these are far far superior to transits in the ride for the horse/box design IME

Sounds like we are both fans of our Lt35's perhaps we should start a new clique LOL!!!

lauraandjack

Visit site
I have a Vauxhall Movano conversion (same as a Master) and I love it! You get a much better payload than with a Transit, and depending on the spec of your vehicle you may be able to get away with carrying 2 lightweight horses, and def ok for 2 ponies or 1 horse and a pony (they have up to 1400kg payload).

I'm sorry I haven't got any pics of mine with a horse on board, as they are deceptively incredibly roomy inside. I have had a couple of people ask to have a nosy round when I've been at shows and they can't believe how spacious it is. It's white inside too so that helps. I have a 15.2 section D and he has bags and bags of headroom, and more standing room than in an Ifor Williams trailer. Lovely low lightweight ramp and very easy to manage loading on your own.

I would say that the older Masters are very overpriced for the chassis you are getting though, they hold their value as they are rare! I ended up getting a much newer chassis converted for this reason, as I couldn't see the point in spending a fortune on what was essentially a rust bucket!

kevd

Visit site
I would ask for pics of the under side of the floor and pics of all aspects of the ramp as these are the most expensive to put right if some thing is wrong with them.
The body looks like a steel frame with a ply wood ali sheet lining usually on a 3.5t it would be 9mm-12mm ply. the body looks abit height would of thought it would need side guards between the axles.
floor i wolud say the best would be aluminium floor planks or 22mm hard wood slats, container deck is ok if its 18mm + and not to old.
the thing with transits is they don't have alot of payload, ask to see a weight ticket that way you no what you got ot work with (never buy a 3.5t box with out a weight ticket).
not many 3.5t boxes have good payloads to take 2 horses and if they do there made of very light materials and tend to brake up quicker.
sorry to go on abit but if your not sure there people out there that will check the box for you and give you a report on it.

happy hunting.

silverstar

Visit site
Ive got a Renault Master they are much better for horse travelling as they are lower to the ground and horse travels between front and back wheels. Id recommend getting a Master or an LT35. Renault Masters arent that cheap tho as they do hold their price. To give an example, I paid 5k for my box 3 years ago. Its an M reg but it drives well.