Opinions on this "vintage" tweed for local level showing please?

roz84

Visit site
I just bought this tweed harry hall jacket for a tenner, I rather like it but it is a bit old fashioned. It has a subtle blue thread running through it and I just wanted some opinions of a) whether I could get away with it (it's not mega bucks down the drain if general consensus is that it's awful! B) what colour shirt and tie would go with it and c) whether it would benefit from the addition of a navy velvet collar and blue buttons/anything else to update it a bit? I am only really (whether I like it or not) going to be going to some local shows this year.

Will attempt to upload a photo below.....

6HT1URk.png

roz84

Visit site
Thankyou Goldenstar! I am quite handy with a sewing machine so can do additions suck as collar etc but there's no point if it is completely out of keeping with what people are wearing - I am rubbish at showing!

jnb

Visit site
If it’s for showing, do not add a Velvet collar or blue buttons, subtle is the way forward.
I’d go with a yellow / vanilla shirt and red/orange tie or blue shirt with navy/yellow spot tie.

honetpot

Visit site
If you look at some of the patterns coming through its so retro its modern. I would take it to a good dry cleaners get it pressed properly and always hang it on a shaped suit hanger. With good cream jods, brown leather gloves and a quality stock you will look the part.
Like all fashion trends its how you wear it that counts.

jnb

Visit site
Please - not a stock with tweed for showing (actually, no stocks for showing at all unless at an Evening Performance or a Royal Show championship)
Shirt and tie with a tie pin is correct for showing.

spottybotty

Visit site
Retro tweed seems to be coming back in fashion, especially with M&Ms. Get some foxhead buttons, and as someone else said dont add a velvet collar. Its quite nice .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would n ot touch the collar.
I would try a few colours
Blue shirt blue brown spot tie
Cream shirt brown blue spot tie would be my first thoughts.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's lovely, I did a few seasons local in the tweed that my mum bought to do her exams in at 18... so it was about 30 years old, only stopped using it as not that skinny anymore :eek3:

10399859_236242410437_8121645_n.jpg

ETA the boots were hers too of the same vintage...

catkin

Visit site
I like it. What a find!!

Don't put velvet on the collar, leave it as it is. Only thing I would do (unless it fits absolutely perfectly) is perhaps take it to a local tailor/seamstress if it needs tiny alterations to fit - even a few mms here and there can make such a difference. Make sure they really know what they are doing though!

Colours to go with it - try out a few to see what you like, and whether they complement your horse's colouring.

roz84

Visit site
Ooh thanks for the replies! It has a single vent at the back- it fits quite well as it is, very slightly too large in a couple of areas on the waist/hips, but I used to work as a seamstress so can do those alterations myself (handy!). Loving the tie and shirt combination suggestions! I have a navy hat so it would have to go with that, bit I suspect all the colours suggested would :)

MuffettMischief

Visit site
Theat sort of tweed is coming back into fashion so your bang on trend! Cream jods and shirt and either a navy or a green tie with a gold pattern (dots etc) on would look nice

Fiona

Visit site
It's lovely 😁 My mum bought me a second hand Brown tweed in a charity shop 30 years ago when I was a teenager, and I've been wearing it ever since...

Fiona

Annagain

Visit site
With the blue running through it I'd go for a blue shirt and navy based tie with a cream or gold pattern. I saw a lovely stock the other day with tiny cream stars on it, you could barely tell they were starts and not just spots. The company also made ties for showing. Will see if I can find it again.

roz84

Visit site
I have already got an unused navy tie with little gold diamonds on it, so seems I just need to find a blue shirt then - bargain!

Junebug44

Visit site
It's really lovely. Beautiful colours. I am feeling my age though as I have to ask, genuinely..what is it that makes it old fashioned or retro now??

Junebug44

Visit site
lol yes, I am "vintage" myself - just interested in the fashion of it all - I do notice the blue and black show jackets are a lot shorter these days. Anyway, yours looks a classic - enjoy it! :) x