Opinions on what other people think is acceptable

Cecile

Visit site
Last night she tied her poor mare up outside the stable next to mine, left engine running and disappeared off down the bottom of the yard with one of her mates for about 25 minutes!? So she wasn't even using to do her jobs, she just left it and the horse.

I have only quoted a small piece of what you have written as it just jumped out at me. The part you wrote sounds like she is now trying to wind you up, sorry if I have misread the situation.
Your YO should deal with this swiftly and lay down the rules before any bad feelings arise or things escalate, if yard rules say no parking unless unloading it will be very easy for your YO to enforce this quickly

Goldenstar

Visit site
The YOer out YMer needs to deal with this .
Turning your car on five minutes before you leave to clear the windows and warm the engine is one thing but this is just nuts .

C1airey

Visit site
How bloody rude! I'd be turning the car off and popping those keys somewhere safe. Like a water bucket.

Hope you get it sorted, or find somewhere else with more considerate liveries.

lewis2015

Visit site
Last night she tied her poor mare up outside the stable next to mine, left engine running and disappeared off down the bottom of the yard with one of her mates for about 25 minutes!? So she wasn't even using to do her jobs, she just left it and the horse.

I have only quoted a small piece of what you have written as it just jumped out at me. The part you wrote sounds like she is now trying to wind you up, sorry if I have misread the situation.
Your YO should deal with this swiftly and lay down the rules before any bad feelings arise or things escalate, if yard rules say no parking unless unloading it will be very easy for your YO to enforce this quickly

Hi, sorry I probably didn't explain very well. This happened last night before I'd confronted her about it. I've been at the yard twice earlier in the week with her doing this and didn't say anything as I hate confrontation, but last night was the final straw when she just wandered off for ages and left it. When I confronted her and she refused to stop doing it, she just said 'I do it every night'.

Dubsie

Visit site
I would emphasise the the YO you think it is a potential fire hazard, with loose hay/straw potentially blowing about in these winds we have, should it blow onto a hot exhaust etc could put the whole stable block at risk, then it is potentially an issue would be affecting YO's property and as such I'd expect the YO to be more inclined to act. If it's just your/your horse's breathing then it's not directly affecting YO.

Cecile

Visit site
Hi, sorry I probably didn't explain very well. This happened last night before I'd confronted her about it. I've been at the yard twice earlier in the week with her doing this and didn't say anything as I hate confrontation, but last night was the final straw when she just wandered off for ages and left it. When I confronted her and she refused to stop doing it, she just said 'I do it every night'.

Ahh ok I thought she had found out you didn't like her parking so decided to up the anti
This is such an easy problem to resolve and need not involve you or her, the yard rule is no parking on the yard unless unloading, so all the YO need do is enforce this with everyone, no need to single anyone out, if the YO doesn't feel its an issue to let all and sundry park in the yard she removes the rule completely
These issues can start small and turn into WW3 if the YO doesn't sort it out swiftly

lewis2015

Visit site
If she needs it for lights then the engine doesn't need to be running..

I know! I told her this - I said your battery won't run down in that time, but she was obtuse about it and, tbh, doesn't strike me as the brightest spark (excuse the pun) when she thinks that petrol fumes are harmless...

dizzyneddy

Visit site
It could be worse a fellow livery at my yard has her car running with her two children (3 & 7 years old) parked outside the gates of the yard whilst she hays up and poo picks her paddock which is 200 - 300 yards from the gate - it takes her 20 minutes.

I've dropped it out in conversation to her about and that a child could take the handbrake off (as a child did this to a fellow livery at a yard years ago) but all l get is l'm leaving the heater on to keep them warm. Whenever l didn't have any help & had to take my children to the yard l used to wrap them up & let them play in the tackroom whilst l did the essential stuff.

She's also notorious for leaving the main gate open with her horses tied up whilst she goes poo picking. l always close it because they are straight onto a road which then leads to a main road. They would only need to pull back and they've an opportunity to get out onto the road.

lt maybe just me but l see accidents waiting to happen & prevention is better than cure. I'm sure people don't think bad things can happen to them but it can happen to anyone.

mrmac

Visit site
I have to leave my car running if I want the lights to work. I have done this on one occasion so I could see into the feed room at the Arse crack of dawn. However, car was outside and horses in separate barn. Sounds like the other livery is being inconsiderate. Sounds like a charming place tbh. I'd be putting my name down on waiting lists for a new yard.

lewis2015

Visit site
I have to leave my car running if I want the lights to work. I have done this on one occasion so I could see into the feed room at the Arse crack of dawn. However, car was outside and horses in separate barn. Sounds like the other livery is being inconsiderate. Sounds like a charming place tbh. I'd be putting my name down on waiting lists for a new yard.

Yes, I did consider moving as a few inconsiderates have moved on recently. However, the YO is lovely and it used to be lovely and quiet most of the time and a lot of the other liveries are great. I noticed last night and this morning some of the usual suspects parking on the car park instead of the yard so I think words have been had. If YO can get it sorted this quickly then I think it's worth sticking it out. I found out today that the car exhaust culprit has their name down elsewhere anyway as her mares are banned from turnout on our place due to wrecking 5 fences and jumping into the YO's garden so at least they might move off soon, fingers crossed.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Cant you just say to her really nicely that its making your asthma bad and you'd really appreciate if she could turn off her engine? Id just be super nice about it and hopefully she'll be decent enough to do it if its upsetting your medical problem. Maybe buy her a head torch ;)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Can't you accidently stick your pitch fork in the tyre sorry I know that's not constructive but I bet she wouldn't do it again replacing a tyre a week is not cheap.

mytwofriends

Visit site
What an ignorant woman. What is it with some people? Tempting as it might be (and I could certainly think of some excellent solutions), I'd leave it to the YO to sort out - enforcing the no parking rule would be the most simple I'm thinking.

If YO isn't successful, I'd seriously consider whether I could spend my down time in the presence of such a selfish piece of work, and I'd consider moving on - but why should you? You aren't in the wrong.

horselady

Visit site
I would be quite annoyed at this especially as your horse and you both have respiritory problems. If it is detremental to your horse's health and your's as well then I would move yards unless the YO gets it sorted of course.

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
Thanks for the all the replies everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this gross, rude and unacceptable.

Yes, she does it when I'm there. We aren't always there at the same time but we share a tackroom and stable block and she nonchalantly informed me last night when I asked her to stop doing it that she does it every night, and that they aren't breathing in anything bad because they are outside(!) I pointed out it's a confined space, her car is outside but the horses are in stables and if I can feel the fumes triggering my asthma then they can definitely breathe it in. The reason for doing it, apparently, is so that she can use her headlights to see by, regardless of the fact that we have stable lights and outside lights and I've always managed fine without needing headlights! Last night she tied her poor mare up outside the stable next to mine, left engine running and disappeared off down the bottom of the yard with one of her mates for about 25 minutes!? So she wasn't even using to do her jobs, she just left it and the horse.

And yes, there is a car park that we are supposed to use. Yard rules say no parking on yard unless you are unloading bales/ feed from car. Everyone ignores it though in the evening and I have to put a hi viz sheet on my mare when she's tied up outside her own stable as hers is the end of the row and people rag it round the corner onto the yard far too fast. It's all really getting me down :( The yard used to be lovely with considerate people and now seems to be full of idiots.

Bloody rude!

I would be approaching the YO and asking if they have insurance. If they ask why, just ask where their insurance would stand regarding liability for toxic fumes/fire started by a running car in a no park area. Also what their stance would be on horses being hit by vehicles on private land.

I would also be having stern words with the person in question, something along the lines of:
"As we discussed the other night, both me and my horse have respitory problems. Your car left running for half an hour at a time is not only wasting your money, but directly impacting on my respitory issues, and quite likely also my horses. This isn't acceptable and I would be grateful if you could refrain from parking there and pumping toxic fumes into mine and my horses area. This is a completely avoidable situation and you are directly contributing to it and refusing to help the situation at all. Just because you do it every night doesn't mean it is acceptable. Why is it such an issue to switch off your engine?

Damnation

Visit site
Just another idea, speak to your YO, then next time livery does it, go and take the keys out of her car and give them to YO.

She can explain to the YO when she has to go collect her keys why a) her car was running and b) why she was parked on the yard.

baran

Visit site
Whenever l didn't have any help & had to take my children to the yard l used to wrap them up & let them play in the tackroom whilst l did the essential stuff.

lt maybe just me but l see accidents waiting to happen & prevention is better than cure. I'm sure people don't think bad things can happen to them but it can happen to anyone.

Don't think I would be happy if someone left their children playing unsupervised in the tackroom with literally hundreds of pounds worth of expensive equipment.. Also, what would you have done is they had opened a grooming kit and started smearing themselves with expensive and probably toxic creams or pulled a saddle down on top of themselves?

9tails

Visit site
Yes, I did consider moving as a few inconsiderates have moved on recently. However, the YO is lovely and it used to be lovely and quiet most of the time and a lot of the other liveries are great. I noticed last night and this morning some of the usual suspects parking on the car park instead of the yard so I think words have been had. If YO can get it sorted this quickly then I think it's worth sticking it out. I found out today that the car exhaust culprit has their name down elsewhere anyway as her mares are banned from turnout on our place due to wrecking 5 fences and jumping into the YO's garden so at least they might move off soon, fingers crossed.

Sounds like positive progress already, was the engine runner there last night? If her horses aren't allowed out, I doubt she'll be there long.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Don't think I would be happy if someone left their children playing unsupervised in the tackroom with literally hundreds of pounds worth of expensive equipment.. Also, what would you have done is they had opened a grooming kit and started smearing themselves with expensive and probably toxic creams or pulled a saddle down on top of themselves?

FYI - My children were not left unsupervised in the tackroom as there was 99% of the time other people there so my little ones were either with the YO or a friend who also had their child to keep an eye on them. We used to help each other out & it was a godsend when you had no choice to take them up.
Our tack room was immaculate compared to the few other yards l'd been on as the YO hated mess & there was less chance of things going missing/lost. The saddle racks were out of reach of their toddler hands so saddles & bridles were safe and there were no items left on the ground such as grooming boxes so they were safe.
But l suppose not all yards are as child friendly, have supportive YOs or fellow liveries who'd help you for 10 or so minutes whilst you attended your horse! l think l should go & watch Bad Moms now 😀

meandmyconnie

Visit site
I would be very annoyed! I don't want my pony breathing all that air and she would feel trapped in her stable as she can be spooky around running traffic. This is terrible - you have definitely not over reacted especially as your horse has got respiratory problems!