Opinions please: which yard and why?

Arizahn

Visit site
As title, not planning on horsehunting for another few months at least, but I am busy planning ahead. So lately I have been thinking about yards. I have narrowed my possibilities down to two. Both are 30 minutes drive away, allowing for heavy traffic, and can also be reached by bus if need be.

Yard 1:
All types of livery offered, from grass to full
Extra charge for haylage/hay during winter if out at grass
BHS approved riding centre, very busy, lots of classes
Good hacking, lots of hills
Cross-country course
Outdoor arena, good size, full set of showjumping equipment, but heavy sand, no lights, and only available between classes or after hours
Indoor school, good size, lights, well maintained, but only available between classes or after hours
Regular farrier
Worming programme included
Barbed wire fencing
No storage for tack or rugs
Turnout in mixed groups
Loo
No tearoom
Limited parking
Nowhere to store horsebox/trailer, etc
Regular clinics and shows

Yard 2:
Full or DIY livery only
Private yard
Good hacking, mix of flat and some hills
Horsewalker
Solarium/washbay area
Larger stables
Own store rooms
Tea room and loo
Two outdoor schools, one floodlit with full set of jumps
Indoor school, large, well maintained, lights, full set of jumps, sometimes rented out to non-liveries
Better parking
Can rent a space for a horsebox/trailer
BHS approved private instructor on site, liveries get reduced fee for lessons
Individual turnout year round (sand paddocks for winter, etc)
Ad lib haylage/hay included in price
Extra charge for lights and horsewalker/solarium
Post and rail fencing
Morning feed/turnout included in price of DIY
Worming programme
Own choice of farrier

One yard is more expensive than the other, but both are affordable. Both have spaces. Which would you go for, and why?

Theresa_F

Visit site
Yard 2, and you may find if you ask if they could do one end of the day for you, they will be flexible so you don't have to go on full livery unless you want to.

Speaking from experience of being 22 miles - 30 - 40 mins drive from a yard, it is too much to try to do both ends of the day.

I have a great compromise, my two are on full livery two days a week, fed and skipped am and pm three days and I can if I wish put them on full livery all week or change to minimum livery. I have an agree daily rate for each type of livery.

Living without storage space and barb wire fencing would be an immediately no go for me.

Arizahn

Visit site
I like Yard 2; their DIY is more like part livery, as they put in morning feeds and turnout. So I could come up, sort the box, ride, turn back out and clean tack, sort evening feed and prepare morning feed, etc, and then bring in for the night just before leaving.

Husband likes Yard 1; we know a few people there and it's cheaper, lol. Thinking with his bank account...have tried to explain that not all horses are sensible around barbed wire! I'll keep trying to convince him. He is talking about setting up storage space at home and loading up the car each day with whatever is needed. At least he doesn't mind mucky rugs in the car. But yeah, the wire really worries me.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
def yard 2.....barbed wire fencing and mixed turn out a big no no for me......also going to be difficult to get in either of the schools.....would rather pay a little more be confident with the fencing and be able to use the facilities when i wanted and not fitting in with a rieding school. you may also be able to buddy up with someone and help each other so you would be able to do one visit a day.... let us know what you decide....

Kallibear

Visit site
Yard 2 sounds perfect EXCEPT the individual turnout. Horses are sociable animals and it's cruel to keep them on their own. Some horses tolerate it but most are very unhappy.

The horse has no say over the yard and Im willing to make sacrifices to make sure he's happy. I do not expect him to sacrifice his friends so Im happy.

So unless they will provide company for your potential horse at yard two, the potential horse is more likely to be happier having friends at yard 1.

No company for my horse is a total deal breaker for me. And him.

Skyebald

Visit site
I would have said yard two but I'm another one who doesn't believe in individual turn out being healthy for a horse.

I've been on yards with mixed herds without problems.

Being a riding school would put me off more than anything else due to lack of access to the schools . If you can fit in with when it's free then fine :)

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
Yard two sounds great, barbed wire is so dangerous horrid stuff. Is it only individual turnout that is offered? A lot on our yard are on individual turnout, they have friends next door and they all seem happy.

Walrus

Visit site
Yard 2 sounds great. Also; re the storage thing - hubby might be thinking it's a fine idea now but does he have any idea how much stuff comes with a horse??!!

I honestly couldn't cope without storage - just think, you're running late after work so you just think you'll lunge instead of riding - oh no, can't lunging gear is at home. Plus carting your smelly sweat rugs in the car or remembering everything - no way! I'm sure plenty of people manage it but it sounds like a logistical nightmare, I can barely organise myself never mind thinking ahead to get all my horse stuff to the yard! Plus in the winter everything is covered in mud, you ride in the rain - everything is wet, you work the horse hard - everything is sweaty!

Also a riding school sounds like my worst nightmare, I do have the type of horse that attracts people to come and stroke his hair but neither of us are that sociable really! :)