Opinions Please!!

Bright Spark

Visit site
Hi there, I'm currently undertaking an EPQ and my project is 'How has historical horse dancing influenced dressage today?' I would love to hear your opinions on this matter. Thank you in advance

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
"Horse dancing"? That's a weird way of describing something, it certainly has never been referred to as that in the contemporary literature. I present a display of baroque horses and riding/training at a large historical site, part of the information we give is about how modern dressage has evolved from the original "dressing" of horses for the manége and for war. The answer to your question is "slightly"; the original training, the types of horses and the movements produced are substantially different to how they are presented in the modern competition arena today, but it is possible to trace a trajectory from the one to the other.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Terrible title.

Horse dancing makes me think of this

[video=youtube;-4pmCrSdMhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pmCrSdMhg[/video]

not training horses for battle, manege or dressage.

planete

Visit site
Terrible title.

Horse dancing makes me think of this

[video=youtube;-4pmCrSdMhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pmCrSdMhg[/video]

not training horses for battle, manege or dressage.

That is what I meant by tribesmen showing off their horses. Classical dressage displays as performed by the Spanish Riding School are never called 'dancing'. These are of course the precursor of modern dressage but there is a whole can of worms waiting to be opened if you want to talk about the two in the same space. Unless you have extensive historical knowledge of dressage methods from Xenophon through La Guérinière and up to the present time, it is not really possible to write a study on the subject.

Bright Spark

Visit site
Sorry Planete and Faracat I should have said my full title of the report is 'How did the art of manege change the way we view history and does it still influence the way that modern day dressage horses compete and train today?' sorry for the confusion, it was something that Lucy Worsley refered to in her documentary so I didn't think anything of it.

planete

Visit site
I love Lucy Worsley and her programmes but they are historical entertainment and her talking of dancing horses was just a way of popularising the subject. The full title of your report sounds a lot more serious and in depth. To be perfectly honest, in your shoes, I would not have a clue were to start (well, I would but it would be hugely biased and probably libellous!). The FEI rules purport to uphold the classical ideal but seem to have huge blind spots when it comes to some modern practices. I am sure we must have some very learned contributors who can point you to the right sources to help you.