Opinions please

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
Long story short. I took my dog to the vet yesterday , he examined her( we were not allowed into the surgery...thanks covid) and said that there are 3 things going on. She has mastitis, open pyometra and mammary tumours. The vet wants to spey her tomorrow and possibly do a mammary strip, he didn't say if it would be one or both sides. She is a nine year old gsd who is also showing signs of DM.
So my question is would you put her through the surgery and probably long recovery ? She is on strong antibiotics and metacalm and is "comfortable" at the moment.
My head is in a spin, I'm all for quality of life over quantity.
Thanks for any replies.

Roxylola

Visit site
For me, you need to sort the pyo out theres no option but surgery for that. While shes under, may as well do the other. She'll have to have the op or be put to sleep or die suffering so why not sort it all at same time.

Aru

Visit site
I would either do surgery or euthanise at this point.
Leaving her as she is not a good option as all of those issues will either worsen or repeat next season as pyos and mammary tumours are influenced by the hormone surges that accompany seasons...
Removing the mastitis and tumours will reduce pain in the longterm
Removing the uterus full of pus will help her feel better as well.
She's going to be feeling like crap on medication alone as her bodies trying to fight to two severe infections at once. Surgery gets a much quicker resolution.

She should get good pain relief during and after surgery and in 2 weeks will be pretty much healed if all goes well.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As others have said, you can't just leave this, though I know some breeding bitches are treated with ABs for pyo. I would go ahead with the surgery, 9 is not old, though I know you say she is showing signs of DM. I had a 10 year old bitch have a full mammary strip , she made a full recovery though sadly I did lose her to pyo couple of years later. My 12 year old had surgery last month to remove a mammary lump, thankfully benign, she was back to normal in a couple of weeks.

maggie62

Visit site
The pyometra is an emergency.....all the toxins going round the body is very dangerous and life threatening so needs done now. My labrador had a mammary strip.... major op too took her a while to recover.

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I probably wasn't clear in my post, not having surgery is not an option. She will be getting speyed, and I agree doing both procedures at the same time is sensible. I to was surprised when he said to bring her back Thurs or Fri as I always thought pyo was an emergency, but he is a qualified vet I'm not, just following his advice.
She is booked in for 08.45 in the morning and will have a good chat with the vet before she goes in.
To say I'm bricking it is an understatement.

Follysmum

Visit site
I nearly lost a dog with pyrometer as my first vet missed the signs and fobbed me off. I knew she wasn’t right so wouldn’t leave the surgery until another vet looked at her. Next vet said she needed surgery ASAP

SusieT

Visit site
It is a shame you didnt have her spayed when younger to avoid this - however now she has these issues - I assume the tumours are not brand new? Have you discussed all pros and cons with vet over the phone even if not allowed in?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would take the dog to vet again, either today or tomorrow and insist that pyo is an emergency and needs to be treated as such. Waiting for 2 days could cost your dog her life.

There are pros and cons for spaying bitches at varying ages, I certainly don't/won't routinely spay young bitches.

meleeka

Visit site
I would take the dog to vet again, either today or tomorrow and insist that pyo is an emergency and needs to be treated as such. Waiting for 2 days could cost your dog her life.

There are pros and cons for spaying bitches at varying ages, I certainly don't/won't routinely spay young bitches.
Without wishing to open a hornets nest, what are the cons?

Clodagh

Visit site
No one can think of any cons?
I have mainly spayed bitches and eventually they will all be done but.
1. It's hard to breed from a spayed bitch.
2. They look better entire.
3. They can get incontinence from spaying.
4. Spaying young, as thankfully is less recommended now, can cause lots of problems.

PAS did say at various ages.

Clodagh

Visit site
How do they look better entire?

They don't get the pelt around the shoulders and overall longer coat, they just age better, hard to explain.

I understand from your post that you are opposed to non spaying, but it is everyones choice with their own dog.

{97702}

Visit site
I've had spayed bitches for 30 years now - never had any desire to breed, they look just as good spayed as they do entire (my trainer only remarked tonight that Millie is in perfect physical condition), never had an incontinent bitch, never had a bitch with any problems due to spaying.

Now someone will say I am lucky (same as they always do on the rescue posts lol) but I think 8 bitches is a reasonable sample size (as well as all the ones my mum has had - lost count of those!)

Roxylola

Visit site
I've had spayed bitches for 30 years now - never had any desire to breed, they look just as good spayed as they do entire (my trainer only remarked tonight that Millie is in perfect physical condition), never had an incontinent bitch, never had a bitch with any problems due to spaying.

Now someone will say I am lucky (same as they always do on the rescue posts lol) but I think 8 bitches is a reasonable sample size (as well as all the ones my mum has had - lost count of those!)
I'm pro spay, but my spaniels coat has definitely gone woolly since she was spayed. She was done at 6 so no other reason for a change.
Juvenile spays often result in dogs being mentally puppyish and growing over long legs etc as well (according to research but not something I've experience of)

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve never had any problems either (bar finding I’ve got an amazing bitch and can’t have a litter, which is no biggie to me).
But I do think people should be allowed to make their own decisions and to some mutilation of a dog for convenience is equally unacceptable.

{97702}

Visit site
I'm pro spay, but my spaniels coat has definitely gone woolly since she was spayed. She was done at 6 so no other reason for a change.
Juvenile spays often result in dogs being mentally puppyish and growing over long legs etc as well (according to research but not something I've experience of)

My mum has spaniels and I have to say I've noticed coat change in her breed as they have aged whether they are spayed/castrated or not? That might just because I am used to sighthounds who are sleek and gorgeous whatever :D

Absolutely never experienced any change in temperament or conformation due to spaying but then for that purpose my sample size is small :) Rescue dogs are generally done later in life, particularly greyhounds off the track for obvious reasons.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We had both Luna and Bo neutered. Probably for our own convenience If honest, but we had no intention of breeding anyway. Luna was 16 months, had to work it around her seasons. Would have liked her to be 18 months or older, but 2 seasons were enough to deal with.

Bo was 4 when we got him and entire. We probably would have neutered him anyway, but as he is so reactive on lead (absolutely fine off), made sense to get him done, especially as there are a couple of entire bitches at the horses.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
According to what I've read, in general, closed pyometras where the pus can't leak out due to a closed cervix is more acute, than an open pyometra where the pus can leak out. Not sure if that is correct, but I thought it made sense when I read it.
Also not sure if it is tomorrow or on Friday that you're taking her in for surgery, but whenever it is, I hope it goes well.

{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}

Otherwise regarding spaying I can only say that after having lived with 1 bitch who had incontinence problems for several years, I'm unlikely to spay my bitches before it is necessary.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I agree with the do the surgery, preferably both at the same time, or else euthanize.
I spay my bitches (n=4). My first was 9 months, the second 8 years, the third 5 or 6 and the last 15 months. I worry a lot about pyo so I spay. I won't do pediatric spays because I don't believe it is better for my girls.

meleeka

Visit site
I agree with the do the surgery, preferably both at the same time, or else euthanize.
I spay my bitches (n=4). My first was 9 months, the second 8 years, the third 5 or 6 and the last 15 months. I worry a lot about pyo so I spay. I won't do pediatric spays because I don't believe it is better for my girls.
This is my thoughts too. I’d rather have an incontinent bitch than the constant worry of pyo. I personally only know of one that has lived to old age without getting it (and only one that was slightly incontinent after speying) and an emergency surgery is not something I want to have to go through.