Opinions: Showing him as a show cob

emfen1305

Visit site
Hi all! Last year I competed at two of my local riding clubs in the working hunter classes but for the last show of the season i did a couple of ridden classes - coloured, and show hunter (i am fully aware he is not a show hunter but it's the only class that didn't clash). He did a lovely show in both and went very well in the go around (much to my surprise) and actually i really enjoyed it as he can be very spooky in the jumping and i've had a few nasty falls.

The feedback i got from a few judges over the season was to get some muscle on him, hog and trim him up and show him as a LW show cob. I did hog him on his first clip due to his mane driving me mad and actually i quite like it so my question is, do you think i should go for it and hog him again? The vet is coming next week to rescope him for ulcers so he will be sedated so i thought i could just do it then but if i hog now, i very much doubt it will grow out in time for show season! We are talking very local riding club level with potentially a couple of the "bigger" unaff shows and i do still want to do some working hunter so i wanted to know your opinions really :) He has been out of work for 6 weeks due to ulcer problems and in this time has put on quite a bit of condition (ironically) so he's looking more cob like now. I did measure his bone out of curiosity and it was 8.7in lower down his leg and then 9in just below the knee on the tape measure.

Here are some pics, both hogged and plaited - i hope you can see them, this is my first time uploading. Any advice greatly appreciated!

post a picture

images upload

images hosting

rara007

Visit site
Agree with all the rest :) Bare in mind you'll need to hog before most shows (or just very regularly if you're showing every weekend), so if he's needing to be sedated to do it... The bigger shows may well have working show horse and smaller shows that only have one workers class tend to accept all 'types' in to it :)

emfen1305

Visit site
Agree with all the rest :) Bare in mind you'll need to hog before most shows (or just very regularly if you're showing every weekend), so if he's needing to be sedated to do it... The bigger shows may well have working show horse and smaller shows that only have one workers class tend to accept all 'types' in to it :)

Thank you :) I've only hogged him once (the first time) and he wasn't sedated but he is quite funny about the clippers around his ears so i managed to get quite far up and then had to finish with scissors - i'm hoping he will get better the more i do :) my local show doesn't have any working show horse classes but i had read about working cobs at bigger shows, i'm just hoping they don't look down on us too much although last season we regularly competed in the open workers against a huge hairy native and that went champion most weeks!

conniegirl

Visit site
Do you mean one with a thicker noseband? Or is there a specific brand I should look at? :)

A generaly far heavier bridle with wider noseband and browband. The cheek pieces will also be wider and more workman like.

Try Anna Pennell at AP leather work, she make amazing made to measure bridles and will advise on how best to dress his head