Opinions? Tall riders showing ponies?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
its typical knee jerk reaction to a certain perceived welfare issue and I wonder where the line will be drawn. our M&Ms are quite capable of taking riders larger than the average ankle biter and indeed, are wasted on them-we need to keep these breeds in jobs or lose them. Seems to me like common sense is missing at both ends of the scale.

I used to do bodywork on horses and hands down, the animals that I saw that were the most sore (and stoic!) were JA jumping ponies-hammered round big tracks very fast and unbalanced/upside down and all in narrow saddles-seeing as they were mostly Welsh derived I am sure none of them were naturally narrow. the riders were neither too big or too heavy but the work the ponies asked to do detrimental all the same, but lets ignore that issue and make a rider neither too tall or too heavy get off her pony for schooling it on the flat.

Brilliant post, completely agree

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean lead rein. I was referring to "showing in general, other than hacks, hunters & sidesaddle"

It's just not my cup of tea that's all. I like the classes specified because they pertain to type rather than breed (I am of the opinion that breed showing can encourage undesirable developments in otherwise useful breeds), and there is a strong emphasis on manners, usefulness and rideability in those classes.

Visit site
I have no idea what the Wee kid on the grey Shetland is doing! No need for that at all but they stood 7th and highest placedar Shetland.

All the exmoors had riders that fitted them. Some of the Dartmoors were questionable.

From what I have heard since this whone uproar is that this particular family are not the best liked on the southern showing circuit and cause a lot of bother. So not many people have any sympathy for them and even less so for going to the press about it.

honetpot

Visit site
I have no idea what the Wee kid on the grey Shetland is doing! No need for that at all but they stood 7th and highest placedar Shetland.

All the exmoors had riders that fitted them. Some of the Dartmoors were questionable.

From what I have heard since this whone uproar is that this particular family are not the best liked on the southern showing circuit and cause a lot of bother. So not many people have any sympathy for them and even less so for going to the press about it.
I do not see what being liked has got to do with it, its a top level competition, and the rules should apply to everyone. As to going to the press, showing is in a muddle, it costs a lot of time, money and effort to get to HOYS, if you think that something is not right and the weight issue has been talked about for a while, I would go to the press if I felt strongly enough.
Unless you do a BMI, and weight you have no idea if telling a child or young person is overweight for their pony is correct or likely to cause harm to them. Should be done in a controlled way , not in the collecting ring and as part of the rules/ qualification.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yes I do. If you are too tall your legs and seat aren't in the right place. Many of the small breed M&M riders ride on the backs of their saddles to accommodate shorter stirrups so the feet aren't banging the knees or so the knees aren't covering the ponies shoulder.

I would like to see a photo from the side, the saddle is already down at the back with the smaller rider on board. A straight cut saddle that is too small for a tall rider, in terms of thigh length, will cause bigger issues than something more forward cut, especially if riders keep their stirrups short, as is so often the case (and looks to be here), to keep the lower leg on the pony. It IS an issue but how much of it should be brought up in such a fierce manner I'm not sure.

So I'd like to see better rider education about saddle fit and balance, and about not sitting on the back of a saddle. Taller riders often need a rear riser to stop them sitting too far back.

I'm quite sure the pony can carry her.