Opinions Wanted

Pick an option!

• Total voters

LPL

Visit site
So long story short my horse is broken and it looks like he is going to need quite some time off. I am on full livery at an amazing yard that has very kindly offered me the chance to turn him out for the winter to roam 30 acres with their waifs and strays. Looking at other people's experiences of DDFT injuries, this seems like the best thing for him and it will only cost me £90 a month.

So I am in the position to get a winter project. Problems: I have no money. Have a decent income I just can't save for **** so this limits my budget somewhat!
Parent's concerned about me ending up with two broken ponies and even less money.

As far as I can see it I have 4 options and I would appreciate your opinions.

Option 1) Get another ex racer.
Pros - I love em, have some idea of what to do with one, can probably get one for free/v cheap.
cons - Will cost dearly in food and shoes. Will be harder to sell come spring.

Option 2) Get a gypsy cob.
Pros - Cheap to keep, will probably be more straightforward to produce, will sell easier in the spring.
Cons - Not keen on them, will have to pay to buy it, will I enjoy producing something like this?

Option 3) Get a native/cross breed.
Pros - Will actually enjoy looking at it, be somewhere in the middle to keep, much easier to sell.
Cons - $$$$$$$$, finding the right pony (must be 14hh min, 4/5/6/7 years old, not lame or insane.)

Option 4) Don't turn G out, get a grip, grow up and be patient.
Pros - Won't cost me any more than he does now.
Cons - Bored over winter with the time, means and equipment to go party, depressing paying full livery for a horse that I can groom and look at.

Thoughts please, even if it is just grow up and get a real job.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Another option: get a horse on loan. You will have to pay to keep it and won't make a profit, but you won't have to find any cash up front and can choose the type of horse you want.

alainax

Visit site
If your looking for one to flip, go for 3, Connemaras seem to be excellent for this.

The other options-
1, you'll struggle to make any sort of money on. 2, no point if you don't like them.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If you have facilities like an indoor school then I personally would look for a 14.2hh, ideally native or native cross. Pure natives IMO will cost you more, a native x arab or something can generally be found cheaper. I used to buy a project pony like this every summer (I didnt have a school or anything so was limited to summer by the weather), most Id pay was £500 and that'd get me a scruffy 4yo usually, off a hillside that the owner just hadnt had time to do anything with. They were always sound with no obvious issues except just very green obviously. Id back it and have fun taking it out to local events then sell once it had some rossettes under its belt. Depended on the pony how long this took but quickest turnaround was 3 months and longest was 9 months (but that one cribbed...). Im still in touch with all of them as I get very attached! I really enjoyed doing it and always found ponies of that height ideal as they suited kids and adults for pony or riding club. People will buy an honest one all day long IMO. Temperament was the biggest factor I looked for when buying, if its really nice natured then generally it'll have a nice attitude and be a doddle. I would definately rather buy one unbacked than a problem pony that I had to try to fix... much easier. I loved doing it, I really enjoy bringing on young horses so well worth doing IMO if you can afford it. I sold mine for usually £2,500 / £3,000 by the end of the few months although that was summer so minimal feed bills etc. and I kept mine at home so didnt have to pay livery.

Id still be buying a project pony every year now if only I had the spare land available for another one...!

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
If you are buying to sell on then do not get a TB. End of.
Decide on your budget and keep options open regarding cob or native.
If it's a nice person and not soooky to hack there will always be a market.
Some of the cobs can be surprisingly 'sharp' which can put them in no mans land when coming to sell.

Otherwise you might find a short term loan, especially for the winter months.

Visit site
Native/native x every time. Hardy, cheap to keep, tend to be mostly sane, don't break as easily as a TB type and also usually have a brain in their head - though that can be a double edged sword. There's always a market for a nice solid sensible low level allrounder. I'd get something 14hh+ and solid enough to take a small adult too, it broadens your options.

McFluff

Visit site
Rather than focus on type, focus on personality/temperament and do whichever of options 1-3 finds you first!

Option 1 - do this if you want to keep and have two horses long term...(I say this because you clearly like them, and they can be harder to sell) - I had one that didn't need feed or shoes, so not all are expensive to run!
Option 2 - you can get some with great work ethic - mine is a TB in a cob body - she's forward, sharp, quick to learn and tries her heart out (the downside is that she is not good for novice/nervous riders!)
Option 3 - if you are lucky enough to find one that is a complete blank sheet and you can start from scratch - they can be fab, as long as not badly started with someone else...

I wouldn't do option 4 at all personally - full turnout on a large acreage sounds like good old fashioned Dr Green - time is the best healer.

Or, if you aren't looking for a profit, could you approach a charity and see if you can take something for the winter and give it a good education to help re-home it?
Or some trekking centres look for homes for the winter to freshen up their horses (a yard close to me does this sometimes - the horses are all great, and the 121 attention and getting out and about does them wonders)

LPL

Visit site
You see option 3 is my favourite and Magic Melon that is exactly what I am hoping for but I'm struggling to find the right sort of pony. A connie would be my first choice as they are so popular but I simply cannot find one for less than £1500 and in all honesty I don't really have the £500 never mind the other bit. I'm not afraid of my overdraft though ha. Have also sent some offensively low offers on some nice section D's but no one is that desperate to get rid just yet. Maybe next month...

If anyone has a beautiful pony sat wasted in a field they want to sell me, hit me up! :D

LPL

Visit site
That's what I'm hoping for! I did consider making the journey there I just have no idea of sales or to be honest welsh cobs. Worried I'd be duped by flashy white socks and a pretty face and end up paying over the odds for something. I get a bit hysterical so would need someone sensible to go with me! I'm in Yorkshire but willing to travel just not so far that I spend £200 in fuel to pick it up!

LPL

Visit site
I was going to go to York but knew I'd come back with something and I really want to wait until G's next appointment with the vet before I commit to something. Think I might go to Brightwell's though. It's a trip out if nothing else...

Visit site
Fair enough, you'd probably spend the difference in petrol! Connies do tend to be expensive. New Forests however are dirt cheap for some reason and I've never really understood why - the ones I've know had super level temperaments, were great with kids and jumped like stags. I regularly see 3/4 year olds from decent bloodlines for sale on the NF facebook page for under £600. There's also the project ponies FB group which is where my mare came from. You have to wade through a lot of dross and there's an overrepresentation of wonky fly-grazed RSPCA cases but if you're selective there are some diamonds in the rough!

LPL

Visit site
I like a NF actually. Will have a better look at then, thanks for the tip. I've joined the project ponies fb page! Don't mind a cob but those 'rescued from meat man' ones with pink eyes and willies and loads of white. Not for me.

Visit site
I like a NF actually. Will have a better look at then, thanks for the tip. I've joined the project ponies fb page! Don't mind a cob but those 'rescued from meat man' ones with pink eyes and willies and loads of white. Not for me.

I used to be in lancashire and the woman who ran my yard had three cracking NFs from the Highfox stud near Bradford. If you're in yorkshire might be worth a look though not sure how many they breed.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Give it a month or six weeks. It'll be cold, dark, muddy and people will just want rid. Or depending on where you are in the country it is the brightwells welsh cob sales at the end of next month - could be worth a look through the catalogue https://www.brightwells.com/equine/welsh-pony-cob-sales/the-54th-autumn-cob-sale/

I'm dreading this time of the year now I have my own land. Hopefully having two at home in winter will keep me in check, either that or just not log on to the internet! Im scared for myself and my wallet! :(

LPL

Visit site
Bloody hell I thought we only bred one type of horse in Bradford! Will give them a gander.

Antw23uk keep your hands off your wallet any bargains are mine!

tda

Visit site
Fair enough, you'd probably spend the difference in petrol! Connies do tend to be expensive. New Forests however are dirt cheap for some reason and I've never really understood why - the ones I've know had super level temperaments, were great with kids and jumped like stags. I regularly see 3/4 year olds from decent bloodlines for sale on the NF facebook page for under £600. There's also the project ponies FB group which is where my mare came from. You have to wade through a lot of dross and there's an overrepresentation of wonky fly-grazed RSPCA cases but if you're selective there are some diamonds in the rough!

This ��

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Probably too small for you and maybe not big enough mark up but there are some lovely Fell younstock about-if you can get one out hacking and winter showing then there seems to be plenty of buyers. Complete dearth of ridden Dales about for sale but plenty of lovely youngsters for sale pre backing and again, seems to be plenty of people wanting one thats done a bit.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm biased. I bought a 4 yr old 15 hand cob for 1200 to break, school on and sell, while testing whether I would ever be happy to ride an 'old ladies horse' . Three years later my 16hh medium dressage, metre jumping sports cob is going NOWEHERE!

Take the opportunity to give yourself a different experience. You might love it or hate it, but it will be something new.

scats

Visit site
Three years ago I had a retired horse and the hooligan. Hooligan then did his DDFT and I decided to give him twelve months off to come right.
I started searching ads for a project and stumbled across a cheap coloured cob x mare. I'm not a coloured or a cob type fan, but I went along to see her. The plan was to bring her on and then loan her out if the hooligan came right again. She turned out to be the most amazing decision I've ever made. I've had so much fun in three years with her, but she was in no way the type I'd normally buy.

So I'd say try something different, you never know!

LPL

Visit site
So I totally ignored your advice and I’ve bought a tb. I just can’t help myself. Picking him up tomorrow but for now need name ideas. Needs to begin with P!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So I totally ignored your advice and I’ve bought a tb. I just can’t help myself. Picking him up tomorrow but for now need name ideas. Needs to begin with P!

Now what is the point of us giving you the benefit of our years of experience if you are simply going to ignore us :D ? Photos!!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

Aw, I voted for a TB. Good luck with him. Names: I like human names for animals so Philip, Phelan (if he's evil), Paddy, Paulie. If you prefer 'animal' names then Pickles, Prince, Pepper, Phoenix.

LPL

Visit site
That would have been the sensible option and I’m anything but sensible lol

I have ridden and shown a cob that was schooled to medium dressage and still don’t like them. They’re just not my cup of tea!

Lol read your first post in a hurry and thought you’d said something really rude and I wrote a really snotty reply hahaha. The internet is a dangerous place isn’t it.

LPL

Visit site
I tried to go see a section D but before I knew it I was on the a1 and it all happened very fast.

Here he is!

Ornzamh.jpg

Cc0AzfP.jpg

His advert!
https://www.facebook.com/bryansmartexracehorses/posts/734934250041088