opportunity to have some fun on a 'proper' cob- help!!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
i've been given the opportunity to loan a wonderful horse as mine is about to be turned away for a long period of time. the horse is everything i'm looking for- winning aff prelim and novice dressage everytime out now, jumps 1m plus for fun, wins showing classes without even trying. however, he is a full blown strapping colured cob with full feathers and mane and tail!!! not that there is anything wrong with that, but, all my previous horses have been tb's or tb x. tried new horse today and i was almost trotted out of the saddle!!! omg what a shock, wasnt quite sure if he was rearing or trotting!!! can honestly say i've never sat on anything quite like that, and i've ridden alot of horses.
question is, will i get used to him??? he is so different to what i'm used to but everything i was looking for. half of it is probably down to the fact he is exceptionaly well schooled but never sat on anything like him!!!
i am truly in shock!!

indie999

Visit site
Was he driven before ?? or a trotter even?? my cob had driven although not with me and he had the most fantastic trot..my sisters sec D had trouble keeping up with him, he really lifted his front legs up in his youth! It can be quite lurchy when they start.

If he did canter(she says IF) he used to get his legs muddled prior to getting going, it felt like a scramble and then off he went...we got there in the end.

Recently I tried out a pony and was shocked how light it was to my aids and light in its mouth it was a real shock i felt like I was holding air. But I have gone back to having lessons and every week have ridden a different horse which is enjoyable as I have obvioulsy got set in my ways with my old boy.

Good luck they usually have good personaliies cobs!

sazzle44

Visit site
He sounds lovely - no doubt you'd get used to him :) I did a swap in the opposite direction, from a cob (although not a proper hairy jobby) onto a leggy TB. Took a while, but I'm getting the hang of it and loving it!
If it's correctly schooled and has a nice attitude, there's no reason why you wouldn't really. Best of luck with it :)

debsflo

Visit site
i think the action can be very different short and choppy if youre used to longer strides. i think you would get used to it but different people like different things.i used to own a very flamboyant high stepping welsh sec d and struggled to get used to a warmbloods big strides. Daughter tried out a sec d and didnt feel happy at all. if youve only ridden once maybe try another couple of times before making your decision...good luck though you deserve some fun.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
to be honest it just took me by surprise thats all!!
he is impecably schooled and has a real look at me attitude, and lets be honest debs- at least he's sound!!!!x

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
He sounds fabulous! I would defo give him a go, I think you will get used to him. We've got 10 at the minute (with another 6 on the way for pony camp!) all very different horses & ponies from cobs to TBs and once you get to know each of them and the way they go it's easy to adapt your riding to suit. Let us know how you get on with him - I am jealous :)

Ella19

Visit site
I'm sure you will but equally explain to his owners and ask to ride him for longer or hack him out, that way you will have some idea if it is something you can get used to or not. I prefer shorter striding pony types and can't ride one side of a horse, I would probably get used to a horse but could never ride it to the best of my ability. Something to think about.