Optimmune (eye drops) - anywhere cheaper than vet?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
One of the little dogs has to have these drops twice a day, every day for ever.

This is fine and we'll happily look after him, only a tube that's meant to last a month is already half gone after a week. It would seem hard to squeeze out just a tiny drop!

The stuff is £30 a tube and have to have a prescription from the vet, which incurs a £30+ consult fee.

Not sure how long we can keep up £60 a week for something that's meant to be £60 (cream and consult) a month...

Anyone know of a reputable way to get the cream at a better price?

Thank you in advance :)

planete

Visit site
Somebody on another forum suggested using Viscotears, a much cheaper human drug you can buy from a chemist. However it does not have the same ingredients as Optimmune so it might not be appropriate for your dog and you would need to check with your vet whether it would be ok to use.

I am surprised you have to have a consultation every time you need a new tube. My vets will supply repeat medication for a chronic condition with a check up twice a year only.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Does your vet really charge a full consult fee every time?! We only request medication check ups every six months, at a reduced consult fee, and written prescriptions are just over £10 an item.

Saying that, I would love to know where they're sourcing their Optimmune from, I can't buy it in for £30 a tube...!

Umbongo

Visit site
Most vets would be ok to let you go 3-6 months between check ups if the eye is stable. Can you get a written prescription from the vet to buy it online?

Saying that, Optimmune for £30 a tube is very cheap! And probably the price at most online pharmacies. My practice used to sell it for £60-£80 a tube depending on ability to get stock. We couldn't even buy it from our medical suppliers at £30!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you folks :)

No idea how people manage to make it last a month! The tube is tiny.

I'll investigate where D got it from and let y'all know, and ask the vet if we can go three or maybe six months :) The wee dog is getting on in years so sadly it's not going to be a long term expense - I'd happily pay for ever.

s4sugar

Visit site
Don't know why it's blocked out the name "vio vet"!

Had looked on there it was about 25 to 30 quid a tube.

£29.99 there and you can get a prescription ofr up to six months or ask at your vet about collecting for the counter. Bet the £60 is what they are charging though.