options for country-type boots for riding in and...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
...with a waterproof membrane! - they need to be able to survive an entire wet badminton week if necessary and leather just doesn't cut it once it is wet camping!

And must stay up when riding - had some ariat derwents that descended a lot but I could walk all day in, think the grasmeres are probable likely option if go that way (ebay as can't do full price ones!)

Am just wondering if I am missing any options?

The dublin ones don't really fit well enough for walking in all day.
I love my tuffa jod boots but they only do a membrane with their super warm ones when I'd much prefer them to be an option all year.
Toggi boots fitted well but no membrane
Tried some kanyon ones on the other week in scats- def not for walking in!
Cabotswood seem to be mentioned on here a lot previously but website hasn't been up for months.

Any options I am missing? Am currently still in my jod boots and chaps but that became a real bind last winter and did result in soggy feet on occasion.

Pie's mum

Visit site
I haven't tried riding in them as I have a pair of Bromonts for riding, I just wear them around the yard. only had then for a couple of weeks but they are so comfortable, no blisters or anything even after wearing them all day.

casspow

Visit site
Ah it was the calgarys I tried on, what are the canyons like for riding in?

The canyon boots fit the same as the calgary :) I only went for the calgary version as I wanted the zip! but the canyon boots have membrane as they are fully waterproof, and good cause they still come in black and brown :) happy shopping!

Wheels

Visit site
ariat coniston - I have walked through very wet conditions in these including heather moores and rivers and my feet did not get wet in the slightest. They are goretex lined with a waterproof zip then they have laces up the front - if I'm just walking about then I keep the laces loose, if I want to ride they are tighter

I don't like the baggy types of country boots, especially if riding

Embo

Visit site
Ah it was the calgarys I tried on, what are the canyons like for riding in?

My Canyons are coming into their third winter and are only just starting to wear out - the rubber part is starting to crack by the side of my big toe on one of them. Gutted as love these boots!

Admittedly, I stop wearing them when it starts to really get wet/muddy at the end of autumn in exchange for my Muck Boots.

They do sink down, so you get the baggy-ankle effect but are so, so comfy.

They are ok to ride in, but once they sink, I find the top of the boot catches on the bottom of the saddle flap sometimes. A minor thing and not all the time but is annoying. I will only ride in mine if short of time (I usually change into proper riding boots) or feeling super lazy.

Still, all being said - I will be buying another pair when I decide my curret set have had it! Great boots, and on the slightly cheaper side.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
On a slight tangent - do you all wear your country-type boots for doing yard jobs (mucking out etc) as well? Do they stand up to traipsing about in a muddy field poo picking in winter, or do you opt for wellies then? I don't get on with normal wellies as my feet are always cold, so debating buying some rather pricey neoprene-lined ones, but can't decide between getting those or some country boots and cheap wellies for just the very wet/muddy jobs...

Tronniehead

Visit site
I have had my Toggi canyons for over two years now and I wear them all the time for everything. Bit of saddle soap and some leather softener every now and again and mine have stayed perfect. Really comfy. I ride in them and even dog walk in them.

Wheels

Visit site
I generally don't wear leather boots of any kind for mucking out or too much muddy work as it doesn't help the leather. I have lovely comfy as slippers le chameau wellies and wouldn't have anything else - my last pair were still going strong after 5 winters but the neoprene was wrecked, the wellies themselves still in excellent condition. Just bought another pair for this winter.