Orange/Yellow Pussy scabs

digitalangel

Visit site
What a title eh?

Found these all over the white legs of my pony this am. localised swelling too - came off pretty easy with water. reddened/bleedy sores underneath. Have applied sudocrem.

Its really really not the time for mudfever, and given i know she hasnt been well looked after in the past ( neglect ) and the other horse she was neglected with died last year from liver issues, i am suspecting photosensitivity. It really doesnt look like sunburn, its not peeling, it looks and feels quite disgusting and has come out of nowhere. white parts of legs and in patches, anywhere from 5p size to 50p size on heels, above coronet, halfway up cannon, inside of fetlock..etc tc

Can anyone who has experienced photosensitivity confirm/deny or would anyone else know what this is??

Judie

Visit site
Yes it sounds exactly like photosensitivity. You will need some pain relief and anti-inflamatories. Our vet gave us the name of a cream to be bought over the counter for humans, but each horse is different so I would take the vets lead on which cream. This condition will not go away unless treated asap, it ripples away under the skin and is so painful for the horse, it starts off small, as you say 5p size, but it took all the skin off the white hair area before settling down and we had the vet out within hours of first seeing it.

We are now on top of the condition and the horse in question goes out with tubigrip support bandages on her legs (they don't fall down) to protect the sun rays getting through, although she is brought in during the day. When she first had them on her legs were covered the legs with the cream and then the bandages went on and then we slapped more cream on the outside of the bandage so her legs were well and truely covered in the stuff and the bandages didn't obsorb it.

Good luck, it looks and is very nasty but quick treatment will help.

digitalangel

Visit site
thanks Judie - i was going to call the vet anyway because vet was out to her last week for a mystery lameness/swelling but not lame enough to block - shes and arthritic 25 so needs a block to pinpoint the site of the issues. Just didnt want to overreact.

Dont suppose you have any piccies? google image search isnt coming up with much.

digitalangel

Visit site
Another lesion this morning (2nd pic) Have called vet, just waiting for call back

Took some ( bad quality) pics...

yuck1.jpg

todays new lesion

yuck2.jpg

Brandy29

Visit site
This is really interesting! I've moved my 4 last week to a new farm.
Within 24 hours my mare's white legs have come up with what you've described (though all about 5p size so far) and my coloured cob within 4 days on his white face but no where else on his white many bits.
They have a sort of wooded area within their field and I assumed they'd ferreted out some plant they were allergic to.
They don't appear to be painful.

Last edited: