Order of training

rlhnlk

Visit site
Hello

I'm just wondering what order you would usually teach things to a youngster, i.e from being started and learning to walk trot etc?

I'm asking because I have a 5 yr old that's just backed this year, she's quite big and in previous years when I started with her she couldn't put everything together and just felt like she needed some time to mature. She's now walking and trotting, turning is fine and she's learning quickly and is happy with it too. I've got a couple of experienced people around but with conflicting opinions, one says crack on and get her cantering, another says take it easy and give her some more time to get established, I'm probably more in favour of the second person as I don't have access to hacking and I think cantering in the arena is a step too far.

As a horse, she's really sweet and laid back and takes everything in her stride, she's very sedate though, her answer to any issue is to stop still and think about it then wander on. The more we're doing the more forwards she's offering though as her confidence increases which is another reason I want to wait before cantering.

So with all that in mind I'm just looking for some idea's of what people would be doing, and in roughly what order, obviously I know its always dependent on the horse etc, I'd just like some thoughts please.

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

be positive

Visit site
I don't think there is an order each horse is different in how it progresses, cantering is usually easier in a field or out hacking, I often introduce polework and small jumps before cantering in an arena, the canter will usually follow popping a x pole and can then be built up.
Some find it easier than others but I would not wait too long before attempting it as otherwise it can become an issue through avoidance and more of a big deal than it should be, a few strides when offered even if it is not really asked for can make it less of a big step for the rider.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I would agree completely with above and second the advice not to leave the cantering too long. You don't have to be cantering around the whole school the first day, just a few steps then build up as the horse gets stronger and more confident

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Does your horse canter well on the lunge? Unless a horse is horribly unbalanced I normally W/T/C from the very beginning, although it may be only a few steps to start off with.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Depends on the horse, I have trained warmbloods that's best and easiest pace is canter so I start there, others trot is their stronger pace so I start there. For cobs and ponies, trot tends to be their best pace but with sports horses it varies greatly. The first thing I teach my horses is to follow an inside bend on a circle and go straight on a straight line. from there I teach counter bend so that I can easily move their shoulders about. and from there I go to transitions. If the horse understands the aids in one pace then it's easier for it to learn the other paces.

rlhnlk

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, they're really helpful, I think maybe another week or two establishing bend and straight and more forwards in the trot, with some polework brought in too and then we'll have a real push towards canter, unless in the meantime she offers it when the trot gets forwards *fingers crossed*

She finds canter on the lunge very easy, without a rider she naturally sits and collects very easily so everything is easy for her. It's just ridden she doesn't have the strength to do that so it puts her off balance, which I would expect since she's not been in work long. It's not helped by how laid back she is either, her answer is never ever to run off, it's to stop and think about what just happened, so when we do something new I can feel her wanting a minute to stop and take it in. I think she's just the type where every building block has to be in place before you move on a step, you can't skip one and come back to it if that makes sense.

Wheels

Visit site
she sounds a lot like my youngster. Not much spooking going on but we do stop if we are unsure of something. He takes a while to pick things up but once he does pick it up there is no going back, something just clicks and then he's learnt it and will not forget.

I did first canter out hacking on the beach with a friend - the next time we went in the school he offered it when I asked for a more forward trot so I just went with it.

after that we actually practised canter transitions in the field, in the school and hacking until he really got the hang of it :D

TarrSteps

Visit site
And this shows you how differently people think of these things. Because I do not regularly ride on the beach I would not canter for the first time there. What if the horse panicked or the other horse did something that required me to emergency stop? If it was a normal part of my hacks it would be a brilliant choice though.:)

Wheels

Visit site
Oh yes, sorry I should have said that I regularly hack and school at the beach although it was my youngsters first time there but it was very quiet, so was he and our companion horse is a beach old timer :)

The beach is our only option for off road riding

cellie

Visit site
Ive been working on my new horse since end of july he was backed but really only sat on and weak.Ive just started canters on stubble in right company and hes been saint. I plan on few strides in school this week but only school once a week.Hes telling me when hes ready fitness was our biggest issue but now hes holding his frame an working well in trot I will move up a gear but slowly.Mine is passported 5 but dentist says 4 still has baby teeth :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ive been working on my new horse since end of july he was backed but really only sat on and weak.Ive just started canters on stubble in right company and hes been saint. I plan on few strides in school this week but only school once a week.Hes telling me when hes ready fitness was our biggest issue but now hes holding his frame an working well in trot I will move up a gear but slowly.Mine is passported 5 but dentist says 4 still has baby teeth :)

Teeth are actually very inaccurate and can be a year or two "out", especially when they are under 7. I'd go with the passport if it has a date of birth.

oldvic

Visit site
Everyone does things differently but I would always prefer to get into canter sooner rather than later. I don't expect or ask for any degree of balance or bend, correct lead preferred but not essential as you can always return to trot for the next corner but just get into the pace for a few strides and build up as confidence and understanding grows. I do this before any pole work as I would prefer the horse to feel canter with a rider first. If the horse jumps the pole and feels canter for the 1st time on landing, it could easily frighten itself and either become explosive or less forward. While I encourage the horse towards the contact from the beginning, refinement like bend and outline come as the horse becomes more forward and understands the leg.