Organic Fertilizer

KarynK

Visit site
I heard that Calcified Seaweed was back on the market from Ireland. Have found some for £19 a 20kg bag delivered but was wondering before I buy if anyone else has a cheaper source or uses something else with a similar effect?

This really works on my land and having used it in the spring last year I had good grass in my winter paddocks right through November.

It appears anything with a picture of a horse on it is at least 2x the price!

There is also the metal slag which is claimed to be better than the seaweed has anyone used it?

JamesEarwaker

www.jamesearwaker.co.uk
thats a new 1 on me, never heard anything about the seaweed, have heard little bits on the slag but never seen what it can do. Most people go straight for the straight N and 20-10-10's etc, because of the results but what with the prices at the moment its putting people off this spring!!

KarynK

Visit site
It's been around for years a company in Cornwall used to dredge it from the seabed, it's sort of solidifed bits of shell and dead seaweed that give a slow steady supply of nutrients that breakdown slowly. But apparently the EU got wind and a whole cottage industry shut down! But I think the Irish have crept under the radar!!!

I don't like 20-10-10 personally as I have fatsos so Laminitis was a problem when I got the ground initially, but now I have a nice balance of grass and what most farmers would call weeds that give me a good sward and a variety of nutrients. last year the old seaweed I had left did me proud!! It also goes in my little tow along spreader!!

Tried to get the slag but it's currently only available in bulk! Typical as it is supposed to have better nutrients than the seaweed but I have also read that it is slower to release. So I guess I'll order the seaweed (It used to be £10 a bag from the feed merchant so I guess it's not too bad!)

JamesEarwaker

www.jamesearwaker.co.uk
Sounds all very interesting stuff!! If it does the job you want it to do then go for it, people have their own ideas and prefrences, i think many see a very muddy grass-less field and think the worse and chuck straight N down, also sounds the cheaper option at the moment!!