Organising rugs

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Suggestions please, I have multiple horses in different sizes and the rug pile is a mess. How do you keep it organised so you can find the spare when your in a rush!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have the big plastic garden boxes for some they have hanging racks in their stables made from guttering hung from the ceiling on rope really easy to make.

I also have the same hanging racks in a spare stable for the big heavy ones.

SEL

Visit site
I have large hooks in the hay barn for the wet rugs to drip from. Currently full after last night.

Racks outside the stables for rugs in use.

Combination of shed and garden boxes for everything else.

Squeak

Visit site
Similar to others but I keep liners and fleeces etc on plastic shelves which are stacked/ ordered by weight and size and bulky rugs in the plastic boxes. Wet rugs go on swinging rug racks and if stabled then I keep the rugs in use in string on the stable.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Suggestions please, I have multiple horses in different sizes and the rug pile is a mess. How do you keep it organised so you can find the spare when your in a rush!
We use chest freezers here (non working) for rugs not in use, ones in use are in their stables on rug racks.

I recently bought these for the rugs with no bags otherwise the rugs not in use are in freezer in their bags, one freezer for each horse. They stack really well in theses bags

Really happy with them, they do smaller too https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09TB3HH7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

1697103715939.jpeg

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have a shires rug bag, it's really tough material so better protection against mice or damp. You can get a lot more in than they say. I then organise each season so that rugs I might need are near the top e.g. spare heavyweights in winter and those I won't e.g. fly rugs in winter are at the bottom. Rugs are in plastic back from cleaning or their original bags. Ones in use are on bars in the stable hopefully neatly folded.

This is what I use

airliner

Visit site
IKEA bags! Cheap and effective! I use these:

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have shelving for rugs I don't use often (change as the seasons do) and a large wheelie bin with B's rugs in waiting for Reggie to grow into them.

Rugs in use or ready to use (currently all turnouts) are hung from hooks just high enough that I can reach (I'm only 5ft2) all rugs are hung by there chest straps and each pony has 2 hooks each.

Unless the rug is wet right through I usually leave them on the horse to dry. If we have rain for days on end I'll swap them and hang the wet one in the spare shelter to drip dry. My lot our out 24/7 with lots of shelter.

Ouch05

Visit site
Clear plastic boxes the the weight, size and colour of each rug written on the outside. two horses two sizes but I match the weights together so I have a boxes for 100, 200, 300, stable etc

TPO

Visit site
Each horse has a plastic garden storage box. "Needed" rugs are brought out for that particular time of year and the other ones put away.

So for now rain sheets & 50g rugs have been looked out and fly/summer sheets put away.

They have a rail outside their stables for "active" rugs and I used my Christmas bonus a couple of years ago to buy a rug dryer (best thing ever!).

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Mine are hanging from big garage hooks across the back wall of the tack room - I just do up one of the chest straps and hang them like that. 3 hooks per horse, loosely organised as stable/fleece, lightweight turnouts/liners and heavier turnouts. Name signs above each set of 3, just in case husband needs to do rug duty (just printed on paper and shoved in a cheapy frame) - although most of them have something funky printed on them, so in reality he gets told foxes for little Welshie, raccoons for TB, etc etc 🤣

there’s also a similar hook outside each stable (tucked behind the hooked back top doors for safety, that I can hang any truly disgustingly wet turnouts on - they air just enough under cover to more or less dry out overnight so at least they don’t puddle everywhere as they drip off.

Fly rugs are in a Velcro-tangled mess in a tool chest waiting to be untangled and washed, and rugs waiting to be cleaned and repaired are currently stuffed in a tonne builders bag and moved periodically from tack room to barn to a spare stable until I raise the funds to get them all sorted out…