Original PIO for my new horse no longer exists - how do I update

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Hello friends
Hopefully question is in the title
Ten days ago I bought a lovely mare who is 11 years old and has a basic passport from the Irish Cob Society. Seller handed over the passport to me on purchase and admitted that she had never changed it to her name in the 2years she had owned the horse.
I now need to change details on the passport to show that I own her. I'd also like to change the passported name.
Can anyone advise me how to do this, especially as I now understand, from internet searches, that the Irish Cob Society is no longer a PIO (of course I may be wrong about that)
In anticipation of your help,many thanks
A xx

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have had to do this twice with 2 different passport agencies. The first (cleveland bay society) changed it for me with my purchase receipt. The other (Appaloosa Society) needed me to go to a solicitor and swear an oath that the pony was mine (cost about £5) both were straight forward though.

Good luck!

sywell

Visit site
DEFRA will advise who you should go to.
I have had to do this twice with 2 different passport agencies. The first (cleveland bay society) changed it for me with my purchase receipt. The other (Appaloosa Society) needed me to go to a solicitor and swear an oath that the pony was mine (cost about £5) both were straight forward though.

Good luck!

cally6008

www.tracingequines.co.uk
The BHS posted this announcement in June 2013

The British Horse Society
Link - http://www.facebook.com/TheBritishHorseSociety/posts/10151755141763343

Following liaison with the Department of Agriculture, the BHS has been advised that the Irish Cob Society have had their status as a Passport Issuing Organisation (PIO) revoked.

Any queries relating to passports issued by the Irish Cob Society should be directed to the Department of Agriculture (0035 315 058 881).

Horse Sport Ireland (0035 045 850 800) and the Irish Piebald and Skewbald Association (0035 091 577 577) have been authorised to complete change of ownership/address requests if required.

Update
Those last two phone numbers won't be right - I would guess they should read 0035 345 850800 and 0035 391 577 577 as this will correct the international dialling code
(thanks Sally)

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I'll try and ring the Department of Agriculture tomorrow. I dont have a formal receipt for her, and I've asked the seller for one. She was from a reputable yard so I dont think there will be a problem, I have evidence of transferring money from my bank account details and text messages confirming receipt of cash and lots of discussion about the horse.
I guess the Dept of Agriculture will have identified new PIOs for the horses covered by the ICS so they will probably tell me which one to contact - unless anyone knows better?
Thanks again
A x

cally6008

www.tracingequines.co.uk
As above

Horse Sport Ireland (0035 045 850 800) and the Irish Piebald and Skewbald Association (0035 091 577 577) have been authorised to complete change of ownership/address requests if required.

Suec04

Visit site
I had to do this with my new mare. However, when i sent it off to Ireland (HSI), with the change of ownership form, her passport was invalid so had to have her re-indentified by my vet which cost me double what it should have. So please call them and check which form they need from you first - might save you a bit of money :)

bonny

Visit site
Just get a vet out to do her identification marks and he will fill out the forms that you send off to the passport agency of your choice. Makes a mockery of the whole system, you need to decide what age you want her to be as well !

sywell

Visit site
If there is any evidence that the horse had a passport the vet could be prosecuted. Passport issuers are now required to inform Trading standards of late registrations. QUOTE=bonny;12595630]Just get a vet out to do her identification marks and he will fill out the forms that you send off to the passport agency of your choice. Makes a mockery of the whole system, you need to decide what age you want her to be as well ![/QUOTE]

bonny

Visit site
If there is any evidence that the horse had a passport the vet could be prosecuted. Passport issuers are now required to inform Trading standards of late registrations. QUOTE=bonny;12595630]Just get a vet out to do her identification marks and he will fill out the forms that you send off to the passport agency of your choice. Makes a mockery of the whole system, you need to decide what age you want her to be as well !
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps in theory but in the real world people apply for passports all the time, there must be 1000's of horses out there with totally made up passports, do you really believe anybody ever checks on the one's that are issued late ?

Arizahn

Visit site

Perhaps in theory but in the real world people apply for passports all the time, there must be 1000's of horses out there with totally made up passports, do you really believe anybody ever checks on the one's that are issued late ?[/QUOTE]

I'd guess that the £5000 fines are big enough not to want to risk it.