Orphan foal behaviour

Marigold4

Visit site
If a foal is orphaned and then a foster mare is found, will this have any affect on the foal's later behaviour or temperament? I have heard that hand-reared foals can prove difficult later in life and other horses may reject them. Is this true of foster foals?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Equi

Visit site
Hand reared foals are generally only a problem because humans are too soft on them, generally keep them alone in a stable and treat them like a poor little baby. They don’t get to learn horse behaviour from mum or herd mates. a hand reared foal with a solid uncle gelding or willing aunty mare should turn out okay and most definitely turned out into a young stock herd after weaning. A foster foal will essentially get everything a normal foal will From the mare.

Brownmare

Visit site
Hand reared foals are generally only a problem because humans are too soft on them, generally keep them alone in a stable and treat them like a poor little baby. They don’t get to learn horse behaviour from mum or herd mates. a hand reared foal with a solid uncle gelding or willing aunty mare should turn out okay and most definitely turned out into a young stock herd after weaning. A foster foal will essentially get everything a normal foal will From the mare.
Exactly this. I hand reared a New Forest foal whose mum had been killed by a car when he was a couple of weeks old. I only kept him stabled for the absolute minimum time until he was tamed then he had 2 geldings for company and I deliberately handled him very little after weaning and he turned out just fine and went on to be a great kid's pony. On the other hand I met another hand reared foal whose owners had babied her and she was quite frankly dangerous!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had a hand reared horse she was a great hunter but arrived very bad to handle as she was over handled and had no respect for humans she did get better and became a great herd leader .
She went on to be great mum herself .

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A foal with a foster mum is no different to a foal with its own mum so should grow up normally. It is only if it is totally hand reared and doesn't have the correct upbringing that another horse would give, that it will potentially become a problem.