OS map vs. Definitive map

ArabianGem78

Visit site
There is a particular point in our riding around here (East Devon) which is marked as a green lane on the OS map, but not allowed to ride there on the definitive map. The land owner has blocked it, and hence access to the only river fording point within 1 mile in either direction. There are green lanes accessing bridleways and commons either side of the river so we need to add a long loop now. I intend to ring my PROW officer tomorrow to check where we stand, but wondered if anyone here was aware of the laws?

OWLIE185

Visit site
The first thing to do is to check with the definitive map officer at Devon County Council exactly what the status is of this track and when it's status was last amended.
If it has been ridden regularly but then been blocked off then you need to contact your British Horse Society Access Officer and ask them for assistance as they will need to produce some evidence forms for riders to complete so that an application can be made to have the track upgraded to be as of a bridleway or byway status.
At the same time historic research will need to be carried out to seek out further evidence to support the application.
This is likely to take some time but it is important to get on with it straight away and without any delays.
Be aware that after 2026 it will no longer be possible to claim routes as all routes that have not been claimed as public rights of way (public footpaths, bridleways and byways etc.) by that date will be permanently extinguished.

JillA

Visit site
ROWs on the OS map are taken from the definitive map but are not to be relied on - could be out of date for example. The only one which you can rely on is the current definitive map.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Good luck with the ROW officer at County Hall OP............ it'll take them half a century even to think about getting off their backsides!!

And even then, you'll be expected to do a lot of the "contacting/liaison" work yourself, i.e. contacting the parish councils involved, doing the work that THEY should be doing.

How some people justify their jobs beggars belief. Talk about as useless as a nun in a punch-up :(

Haven't found the BHS ROW person very helpful either.

But....... I know there is a group in East Devon called the "Three Counties" bridleways group, or something similar. They cover more of the East of the county than where I am TBH. If you PM me I can give you a name of someone I know who's concerned with it.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks for the advice all. MiJodsR2BlinkinTite yes please PM me that name. I intend to get onto this 1st thing tomorrow! Thankfully I live in the village where this is so can literally knock on doors of needed.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I am disappointed to hear that your local BHS Access officer has not been helpful.
Most of us BHS access officers work very hard.
Suggest you contact the chairman of the local BHS County Committee as clearly they need to know that a member of their team is not performing.