Oscar Pistorius.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Delighted he won. He thoroughly deserved to.

My understanding is that sprint speed is affected by 2 factors - stride length and turnover (how fast you can take steps). Most able-bodied sprinters are relatively short but very powerful guys who don't have very long strides but have high-turnover. Usain Bolt is so good because he has long legs - and thus a long stride - but also high turnover.

By using longer blades you increase your stride length but maintain your existing turnover.

Mariposa

Visit site
So pleased he won.

I think he is an amazing role model ( despite his post 200m outburst), and really deserved his win. Plus he's ridiculously hot..... ;)

Mike007

Visit site
Just look at the strength and way he kept control of his blades . Magnificent. And I think he proved a point about longer blades . Olivera just couldnt handle it when Oscar got his act together .

KautoStar1

Visit site
I don’t particularly have an issue with what he said and by that I mean what he said, not what the media and those that don’t listen properly interpreted. I think it shows just how passionate these people are about their sport and their right to compete. He was thoroughly disappointed – presumably with the IOC and more probably himself. Good on him for showing some passion and fire in his belly. I suppose he is a victim of his own success to a certain extent but he has always come across as a very charming and likeable chap. After all he did have the good grace to apologise. How often do you hear top sporting stars apologies so publicly ? Are you shocked because he’s disabled and complaining ? Should he just be grateful and shut up ? Or would you be saying his comments were unnecessary if he were a Brit ???

stimpy

Visit site
I was delighted he won the last track gold, he really deserved it IMO. Whatever you think of him, I think it's hard to argue against the fact that he has changed the world.

I love to watch him run. To me, he runs like a horse, he shares the same quality that horses have where everything about them shouts that they are designed to move. He runs like a fit TB gallops, strength and grace coming together in perfect fluidity to generate optimum power.

I'll shut up now :eek:

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Just found this thread on my favourite subject. :D

Oscar can say what he likes - I don't care. The man is SCORCHING hot :p :D

b4be444b285ebaa54215e181310c4ce0.jpg

Bess

Visit site
Yes he is very handsome.

I'm glad he brought up the blade length question after he came 2nd in the 200m. It was obviously a huge thing on his mind and I'm still not clear on the ruling that if he ran the 400m in the Olympics on those blades why did that mean that he had to run in the Paralympics on the same ones........

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes he is very handsome.

I'm glad he brought up the blade length question after he came 2nd in the 200m. It was obviously a huge thing on his mind and I'm still not clear on the ruling that if he ran the 400m in the Olympics on those blades why did that mean that he had to run in the Paralympics on the same ones........
As far as I'm aware Oscar had every right to run on longer blades if he chose to do so. In fact, I think he could have gained something like 9cm in height and it would have been perfectly legal according to IPC rules. But Oscar believes that the rules aren't fair, so he stuck to the blades he used during the Olympics, as these have been proven not to give him an unfair advantage over able-bodied athletes. So he could have run on different blades, but he disagrees with the rules that allow double amputees to alter their height (which Oliveira did just 3 weeks before the Paralympics), and so he won't do it. I suspect his feeling is that single amputees and able bodied athletes can't do it, so why should double amputees.

onemorehorse

Visit site
I've followed Oscar's career for a number of years now and have have followed his fight to be allowed to compete against able bodied runners and to see him finally be allowed to compete in the olympics was fantastic. I am so pleased he is getting the recognition he deserves.

Oh and by the way, I saw him first! ;)