Other horse on my turnout ?

Mary3050

Visit site
Posting this one for a friend !

So the yard I am on is a small livery yard . When I arrived was shown 4 paddocks ( 2 per horse ) which we where told where mine and we can manage how we wish . However currently 1 of my horse is on box rest meaning he’s having no turnout ( still paying same livery ) . However recently YO relative has brought her horse as she been kicked off the yard elsewhere .It’s a small yard of 5 horse but now 6 . YO ask all liveries if we where okay with this horse arriving and was told it’s temporary and would turnout with YO horse . Everyone said they where happy etc .

Now for the last few weeks while my boy has been on box rest the horse has been in my paddocks . Every time I have ask why owner of horse made some excuse as to fixing fencing in her field or she’s only in there for 5 minutes. The horse is currently galloping around the field , snorting, eating all my grass off and then the owner is also not poo picking which I do weekly .

However said horse was only meant to be here a few weeks it’s now 6 weeks and owner of the horse has now said they are staying put . But this was news to YO who said she is not .

Just wondering how people would approach the situation. As i love the yard but I don’t want my fields being trashed as I used them all year and maintain very well by another persons horse ?

Thanks

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Ask the YO if the field will be returned to you when your horse ends his box rest. Of course it's annoying if the new owner isn't poo picking, but it's summer, the grass is growing and the field shouldn't suffer long term damage.
Sometimes, life on a livery yard sucks, but it's about compromising too. If you're not happy, the only choice is usually to move.

Mary3050

Visit site
Thanks
Ask the YO if the field will be returned to you when your horse ends his box rest. Of course it's annoying if the new owner isn't poo picking, but it's summer, the grass is growing and the field shouldn't suffer long term damage.
Sometimes, life on a livery yard sucks, but it's about compromising too. If you're not happy, the only choice is usually to move.

Thanks I my friend is with me I suggested she speaks to YO . Defo makes me glad I am not on livery yard . Friend is more annoyed that she’s just paid for the field to be re seeded not so long ago and her horses is going to get no benefit .

Would u ask to reduce the livery if grazing is being used by someone else ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Then talk to the Yoer now say you need to get your paddock back and getting it sorted and cleaned up for your horses going out .
Say you need to do this because of the lack of poo picking .

dogatemysalad

Visit site
You could ask for reduced livery, but I doubt it would happen. I've never been on a yard that gave a reduction for not using the grazing, or even for retired horses that don't use the school. However, if you don't ask, you don't get.
Hope the horse recovers soon, it's grim when they're injured.

9tails

Visit site
A relative of YO has been kicked off another yard and is now using your friend's grazing. I doubt YO is going to kick out a relative any time soon and I also doubt the relative will poo pick. Your friend has been had. I suspect she'll lose two of her turnout fields to the relative and will need her horses to share the other two.

Mary3050

Visit site
Th
Then talk to the Yoer now say you need to get your paddock back and getting it sorted and cleaned up for your horses going out .
Say you need to do this because of the lack of poo picking .

Thanks we will . Think YO doesn’t want to deal with her as she Husband relative . They have just kept saying it’s temporary .

But I can see why she has been kicked off other yard . As I school my friends other twice a week . I had arrived to be told by owner of other horse that I could ride him today as she was having a lesson . When I asked what time she just said soon and then said when the lady arrives . I said okay I will ride him in the field . So I began placing the trot poles out in the field only used 5 . Went to takes up got back to find she had taken them all . when asked why she said I need them all for a course. By this point I was on the horse so was to late to get them back . Wasn’t till 45 minutes later I she had her lesson 🙄 .

Leandy

Visit site
Well the yard owner needs to provide clarity on the situation. I think unfortunately that most yard owners would think it was within their rights to use your grazing whilst you are unable to do so. But, you should absolutely insist that any yard rules about poo picking etc are enforced whilst someone else has access to your allocated grazing. Also, if this means you have fewer facilities available to you than you are paying for, then you would be reasonable in insisting on a reduction in your livery fees to compensate. Do, make sure the grazing will still be available to you when you need it back though and that the timing of this is up to you.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think your friend need to be firm with YO saying that your paddock is being trashed by the 'visiting horse' & furthermore the horse's owner does not respect the paddock & is not poo picking. Also remind YO that your horse will be coming off box rest shortly & will need to go back into the paddock & clearly the 'visiting horse' will need to go elsewhere. By not respecting your paddock she is also disrespecting the YO. (Surely the YO would prefer to have a person there paying 2 liveries than them going & having one who respects nothing?

As for a reduction when not using the paddocks I don't think anywhere does that. Someone came to our yard once & wanted a reduction because she wasn't going to use the school, YO said well it's there if you want to, livery remains the same, which I believe is right.

Leandy

Visit site
Friend is more annoyed that she’s just paid for the field to be re seeded not so long ago and her horses is going to get no benefit .

Just seen this. In that case she has more grounds for complaint I think. If this was something which was agreed with they yard owner beforehand then the expectation must be that your friend gets the benefit. If that does not happen I would be asking for the cost of the reseeding to be reimbursed, or at the very least for a reduction in my livery fees of an amount equal to it. If the reseeding was just something your friend did off her own bat then it will be more difficult to argue she should be recompensed.

Mary3050

Visit site
I think your friend need to be firm with YO saying that your paddock is being trashed by the 'visiting horse' & furthermore the horse's owner does not respect the paddock & is not poo picking. Also remind YO that your horse will be coming off box rest shortly & will need to go back into the paddock & clearly the 'visiting horse' will need to go elsewhere. By not respecting your paddock she is also disrespecting the YO. (Surely the YO would prefer to have a person there paying 2 liveries than them going & having one who respects nothing?

As for a reduction when not using the paddocks I don't think anywhere does that. Someone came to our yard once & wanted a reduction because she wasn't going to use the school, YO said well it's there if you want to, livery remains the same, which I believe is right.

I agree that it should be a set price but when you allocated a field and told it’s urs and when that’s the only space you are allowed so when it’s gone it’s gone . I have said I would ask the vet if it’s complete box rest or she can hand walk horse around the field . As he’s a stallion so would be interesting if owner of the other horse still turned out in the field as it’s a mare .

Mary3050

Visit site
She asked them if she could reseed before had they said it was okay . So I will tell her to mention that .

Additionally she currently would be unable to move with horse on box rest .