Our 1st ever Edurance "pleasure" ride

Rockchick

Visit site
Hi All,

On sunday me and my friend are taking my horses to a endurance ride (we're just doing the non competative ride) around the Frickley (South Yorkshire) area that is being run by West Riding Endurance. We have never done anything like this before and whilst we are excited and looking forward to it, we are also a tad nervous :)

Both of my horses are fine to hack out etc and have behaved themselves when i've taken them on outings before but they have NEVER done this sort of thing. My mare can be a bit of a "livewire" but always does as she is asked / waits for instruction (sort of "can i go mum pppllleeeaasssseeeee", oh ok if you say no then its no ) my gelding can also be sharp in groups and can get strong (he only wants to keep up etc he would NEVER bolt) especially if something comes past him....

Any advice / hints / tips etc most welcome :)

ThePony

Visit site
Enjoy!!

If it is anything like the NCR ride I did in ciren earlier this year then you will have an ace time! It is much less of a bun fight than a fun ride as you start singly or in v small groups and the emphasis is on a steady speed all round rather than walks and blasts! People are so friendly, and very helpful with advice. You only pass people at trot and ask if it is ok to do so first, before calmly going by if it is ok. Mine was rather 'keen' so we just set a spanking trot and got on with it. Fortuantly just infront of us was a lovey lady who we did the whole ride with, which helped my mare settle.

Have a brilliant time, I am really looking forward to doing more next year, I loved the friendly/helpful atmosphere and emphasis on a steady pace for your horse rather than belting along!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I don't know if I can really help, but George and I did our first one last weekend and had so much fun :) George is really well behaved, the only problem is if there are horses up ahead he wants to rush to catch up with them even if he has company!

I don't know if you have a choice but we started early (8.30) so it was nice and quiet, we let a couple of groups overtake us who were going much faster (but they all went past in walk). I then had to put up with a bit of jogging, but once out of sight George was fine :) Everyone was really helpful and those that wanted to go past all asked first :)

I did put my sheepskin seatsaver on my saddle as I'd never done 15miles before and it saved me getting a sore backside :D I also wore a hi-viz tabard and put some hi-viz on George as there was a little bit of road work.

George didn't seem tired at all, and we had some really lovely long canters :)

Flame_

Visit site
Regarding being passed, if its a bit narrow and you need people to wait until you can pull over for them to pass, don't be scared of saying, "could you just hang on a minute?". Also stick a green ribbon in your horse's tail so people will know he's inexperienced so to be a bit more cautious. Finally, if your horse gets a bit buzzy when someone passes, try and let him have a steady trot after them for a bit, if you try insisting on walk they tend to get more and more wound up. If you let them keep thinking forwards they usually settle again, especially once the horse up ahead gets out of sight.

Enjoy yourself, they're so much fun. :)

Faro

Visit site
Good luck for Sunday, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. You will find that everyone at endurance events is extremely friendly and always happy to give advice.

I would suggest that you arrange to get there at least half an hour before your vetting time, which will give the horses time to relax after their journey. When you get there, go and check in with the secretary, then when that's all done, get ready to present to the vet. You will need to have a farrier check first, so get to the farrier 5 minutes or so before your vet time.

Horses must be presented to the vet in headcollar or bridle only - with no other tack/saddles/boots/bandages etc. For a pleasure ride, you will only be asked to trot up to show the horse is fit and sound (although if you are interested and there's not too much of a queue at the time, if you ak the vet nicely he or she might be happy to take the horse's heart rate as well). Remember to have your number bib with you when vetting.

Once you've passed the vetting, you have half an hour to tack up and get ready before your start time. (Doesn't matter if you're a few minutes early starting - just don't be late!)

Then just go out and enjoy the ride. You must be carrying your map (you won't be allowed to start without it) - however EGB rides are invariably really well marked, so it's highly unlikely you'll lose your way (although if there is another horse in front of you, don't follow them blindly - as you can't take it for granted that they're going the right way - or that they are on the same route as you!).

A pleasure ride isn't fast and furious, although there shold be the opportunity for some nice canters, but neither is it a slow amble through the countryside. In order to achieve the minimum times, you will need to do quite a bit of trotting. It's better to keep to a steady trot, rather than to canter, walk, canter, walk all the time.

I would suggest that you aim to ride at about 10kph. So if you mark on your map the 5km, 10km, 15km points etc., you will know when you reach those points if you are going too slow/too fast, and you can then speed up/slow down as necessary.

When you reach each checkpoint, you must make sure that the checkpoint steward makes a note of your number.

If you wish to overtake other riders, then please always ask if it's okay to do so - and pass then at a sensible pace. Likewise, other riders should do the same if overtaking you.

When you finish, your number will be taken at the finish, and the finishing time noted. You then have half an hour (maximum) in which to untack and cool down the horse and present him/her to the vet again (no need for the farrier check this time) for the final trot up. Offer your horse a drink (if he/she will drink). As long as your horse is sound and passes the final vet check (and you haven't exceeded the min/max speeds) then give it about half an hour or so then go over to the secretary's tent where your rosette should be waiting for you!

I hope you have a lovely time on Sunday. Please let us know how you get on. And if you've got any more questions, please ask! There are several HHO members who regularly ride in endurance and we're all more than happy to help/

EstherYoung

Visit site
It's our group's ride so I'll be there :) I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, probably a checkpoint. You will be absolutely fine. All our stewards are our own patented variety of Yorkshire eccentric so feel free to ask any of us anything if you're at all unsure. Everything is very laid back and friendly, and there will be plenty of room on the route to find some space if your pones are getting a bit excited.

It's a lovely route and I think Jeni is taking it over Brodsworth country park this year which is even more lovely.

Come and say hello if you see me :) I have a very bright (and hopefully very waterproof....) flouro jacket.

Morgan123

Visit site
Yay good for you endurance is the most fun in the world eveer. Here are some tips:

1) use a seat saver
2) don't wear a thong
3) don't be nervous, it's the least nerve-wracking type of competition you can do! just go along and have fun!

Don't worry too much about the time on your first one, just aim to go at a steady pace that you and your horses feel comfortable with.

HAVE FUN!

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Ditto the comment about riding forward - a good steady trot will help your horse settle if other horses are ahead or are in view - my mare will try and catch up with anyone who is in front and restricting her to walk/canter makes her stress out - not what you want for a low heart rate when you present to the vet!

Make use of grass verges where you can, although not if they are part of people's gardens!

Carry a water bottle attached to your saddle if you can - it's amazing what thirsty work steady riding at speed can be! And let your horse drink at streams etc if they will.

Best of luck, you'll be addicted!

Rockchick

Visit site
Yay good for you endurance is the most fun in the world eveer. Here are some tips:

1) use a seat saver
2) don't wear a thong
3) don't be nervous, it's the least nerve-wracking type of competition you can do! just go along and have fun!

Don't worry too much about the time on your first one, just aim to go at a steady pace that you and your horses feel comfortable with.

HAVE FUN!

We're only doing 9 miles (roughly) so should be ok without a seat saver (did 14 miles without one last weekend)... could have done with a "leg saver" lol

Bridget jones pants are ready :)

i like the sound of "least nerve wracking" my sorta day out now, cant cope with SJ/ Dressage anymore - the nerves cant take it :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Good luck, hope you have lots of fun, I am sure you will. I have been interested in endurance for some time now but my mare is not suitable for a few reasons really but I hope when I get a second horse at some point that I will do a bit of endurance. Have lots of fun though :D

EstherYoung

Visit site
Good to meet you, Rock Chick :) So glad you had a good ride. It's a bit addictive, this endurance lark ;)

And for those who think you need an arab, the successful completions in our headline 66km ride were as follows:
3 x arab
1 x TBx
1 x TB ex racer
1 x British Riding Pony
1 x unregistered welsh cob type
1 x arab x american saddlebred
1 x unregistered
1 x akhal teke
1 x trotter
1 x welsh cob

Rockchick

Visit site
Well, what a fantastic day we had :) everyone was really helpful and friendly, horses behaved fantastically both before we set off, during the ride and afterwards too, the actual route was as beautiful as i remember it being from when it was my "regular" hacking territory. Did plently of well paced trotting and even managed a few cool, calm and collected canters :) Made it back well inside the estimated time too (not bad for a first attempt is it :) and the ponies still had plenty of energy and really enjoyed themselves.

Everyone we met en route was lovely too

All in all a brilliant day for both us and my horses.... cant wait to do another :)

pip6

Visit site
So glad you had a great ride. It's a really fun sport & those of us involved love to share our passion for it with others, so they can also have fun. There's only so many rides left this year (can be found under schedule on the egb site), as the season finishes end oct. However it starts again March next year so just time for a short break then fittening work begins again. Ride dates are already being set for 2012.

Why not find a ride in an area you've never ridden, I would recommend the NCR at Golden Horseshoe so you get to explore Exmoor to have an amazing ride. Camp (not an option at GHS) or stay locally, make a weekend away of it so you have an amazing equestrian holiday. If you camp/coral it can be done at minimal cost. Go to a multi day ride & you could have several NCR's to do from the same venue.

Any questions you have, pm Esther, Faro or myself. We have years of experience between us & are happy to help to get people started in endurance at any level. Esther may be a particuarly useful contact for you being in your local group.

Moggy, don't let lack of horse put you off! Riders are always looking for crew (most offer to cover your expenses such as your fuel) to help them. You could get experience crewing, which will be invaluable when you start riding. I've had the most wonderful chance crewing for a friend I met in endurance, including competing at FEI level. I know so much more from these experiences which I put back into my own riding. Okay we'd all prefer to ride, but if you can't (even temporarily) it's a very close second in terms of fun!