Our ALW report that never was... 3 in 1 report!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Despite being desperate to get out eventing and having gone to a lot of effort to enter ALW, I decided on Saturday Morning that although they were going ahead, I wasn't sure how good the ground would be given I wasn't going XC until 4pm and a lot of horses would have been over the BE100 track as that was the only class that day. So I withdrew on the basis that I didn't fancy risking her legs given she had a fat leg after her last run. Luckily I had a back up plan as I had entered Dressage just in case ALW cancelled, so Moot was very displeased to find herself dragged off to do Dressage without the promise of XC after ;)

We were attempting our first Novice test, but I can't say I had high expectations, given she has no Medium Paces to speak of! For some reason I decided to put her drop on (she has been wearing a very loose cavasson) which was a major error! She was having atantrum about it whenever she wasn't required to concentrate on where to put her feet - so her normally good walk was ruined by her chomping and curling back at me.
However, she managed at 65% for 9th in the Prelim (she was mightly tense in it!) and even more shockingly a 65.5% for 6th in the Novice! :eek: To say I was shocked was an understatement, there were some rather lovely horses in the warm up looking far more established than her and she was only (!) 5% off 1st place!
She was allowed a little pop around the TB SJ as a reward, but they were only on the 85cms and I quickly discovered we both now need much bigger fences! :eek:

547725_10151697762565431_613165430_23792658_191063330_n.jpg

Then on Monday we had our Jeanette Brakewell Lesson. Normally we spend a long time working on the flat and finish with a quick jump around. But either Mally and I got where we needed to be quicker or JB was bored, as we moved quickly onto jumping! We did however established that Mally needs to be warmed up deep and round (probably not to everyone's liking) as she finds coming up very easy, and it's her go-to when she gets tense. So if I warm her up in the correct position, she comes up even higher and hollows when she's tense, rather than warmed up deep and come into the correct position in the arena. We also worked on our changes, something Moot finds very easy, but again comes up, tense and changes late behind.
We moved onto jumping - 3 fences on a serpentine in trot, JB stuck the middle fence up rather large :eek: but we managed not to disgrace ourselves to badly! We then did the same exercise in canter, where it began to fall apart slightly! Apparently I plan my turn and see my stride well, but then Mally dives in through her shoulders and we get a horrid half stride, so I had to really get her wrapping around my inside leg on the turn and staying straight over the fence. We eventually managed to sort ourselves out!

http://youtu.be/Ya10RMJOAHs

525947_10151706686425431_613165430_23834635_1009085671_n.jpg

542974_10151710295180431_613165430_23846563_1152649543_n.jpg

527861_10151710296495431_613165430_23846571_898963201_n.jpg

Then today Donkey features and I went for a play at Field Farm XC Schooling. And there's not a lot else to say other than my pony is freaking awesome!I wanted to specifically work on Skinnies, as she used to duck out at them when she was a baby, and if we are going to move up we need to be solid in our skinnies. However it would appear the Baby Pony has gone, and I have a Flag Spotting Expert :D She is so bold without being stupid, she just assesses the question, makes a split second decision and gets on with it.

http://youtu.be/QIUaueP1ycU

553513_10151715922700431_613165430_23862110_681921717_n.jpg

533345_10151715923020431_613165430_23862112_1999846736_n.jpg

532884_10151715923775431_613165430_23862116_466318737_n.jpg

So we did all three phases eventually! Just rather spaced out! :D

Thanks for trawling through all that, and not throwing up at my unadulterated gushing about my super pony :D

kirstyhen

That's her to a T! :D She is totally unphased, even when things go slightly pear shaped, she just produces a leg from somewhere, sorts it out, doesn't hold it against you and carries on her merry way. She can be as cack at dressage as she likes if she keeps that attitude XC forever :D
I think it's because she is actually an overgrown pony mind you ;) JB said the same thing :D

pigsmight:)

Visit site
I love mally! She looks so good :) I have been following your posts
since you got her and they never fail to make me smile. You must be so proud of what you have achived :)

kirstyhen

I hope you have a great season with her! :)

Hopefully it will continue in the same vein as it started, but with a few less poles falling down and better Dressage marks :D

Bless, love that face!

She just adores XC, it's like it came pre-programmed in her :D

she is just so fab, I think I'm in love :eek: :D

She is very easy to love (apart from when she's being a grumpy cow, but I sympathise with her then ;))

H-J

www.piczo.com
Think you get the jist of how I feel about her from fB!!! I think she is mega awesome and you are so lucky!! :)

Looks like you are doing all the right things and asking all the right questions and she keeps coming up with the answers!!

Well done and best of luck if you do step up to novice :)

kirstyhen

Mally looks awesome! Like usual. Glad to hear you are both still having lots of fun! That SJ exercise looks difficult!

It was hard to do properly, we could have coasted through it quite easily mind you! :D

Totally jealous :mad: :D

:p :D

Well done on the dressage :) & what fab pics XC, looks like she is loving it!

How old is she?

She has just turned 6, literally, it was her birthday last Thursday! :D

She is so so awesome! I just love the expression she has on her face too, she's so happy :D

:D I love how much she enjoys her XC, you can feel it when your sitting on her.

Mally looks awesome as always :) :)

When is your next event?

Next event is Shelford Manor BE100, can't wait, I feel like I haven't evented in aaaaaaaaaaaages :D

She is just to die for! in love!

She is pretty special :D

The look in her face is priceless... she knows she's got aaaaallllllll covered, doesn't she?

Lovely :)

She knows what she's doing, the problem is convincing her that sometimes listening to me is also a good idea! :D

Looking fab! Love the xc video, she just makes it look so effortless! and Field Farm brings back a lot of happy memories for me :)

It is very effortless for her, riding across country on her is how it's supposed to feel I think!

She is great (as always!)

When are you next out and about?

Think you get the jist of how I feel about her from fB!!! I think she is mega awesome and you are so lucky!! :)

Looks like you are doing all the right things and asking all the right questions and she keeps coming up with the answers!!

Well done and best of luck if you do step up to novice :)

She has an answer for everything, that's for sure ;) She is indeed mega awesome, I can't quite believe how lucky I have been with her!

such a cool pony, that sj looks massive!!!
I love field farm, we got there a lot when things arent going quiet right, you must be very local to us.

It shows what an affect she's had on my confidence, as I didn't think that fence looked particularly huge! We are about 20 mins from FF, near Junc 24 of the M1.

only_me

Visit site
She looks like she has the whole eventing lark sorted ;)

Also it looks pretty good conditions in that field - Billy and I were sloshing around in the 5 acre water jump this afternoon :p