Our dog, Spot - A Tribute

Stiff Knees

Visit site
I'm new to the forum, so few of you know me, but I feel kindred spirits and wanted to share (not usually my thing but here goes). This is a (probably badly written) tribute to Spot, our inspirational, loving, naughty but amazing black Labrador. Spot's health took a turn for the worse on Monday so on Tuesday morning we made the heartbreaking decision to let her go. She was almost 17 years old and until 6 months ago was coping really well with terrible arthritis in both front paws and a wobblesome back end. But all of a sudden the pain relief just wasn't working and despite trying many different combinations she was having more bad days than good. On Monday, following what had been a really positive weekend, she just crumbled in front of our eyes and our hearts broke. She came to us 8 years ago, hugely overweight and with any number of medical issues, but she quickly lost the weight with a good diet and exercise and she overcame her issues, her positivity was infectious, and she fixed me too, being a little bit broken myself at that time. When OH brought her home (initially on the basis of a short holiday stay) I was determined she would not be staying long term, as he walked down the drive with her i remember thinking there was no way I would allow her to stay, we didn't need the expense or the hassle, within 15 seconds of her walking through the door i had completely fallen in love with her and literally begged him to talk her owners into handing her over to us. Fortunately they agreed and so we shared the most amazing years, we made sure she lived her best life, and she loved us back, enthusiastically, even into old age. Her going has left me completely bereft, the pain is a physical one, I was so certain we were doing the right thing, but those feelings have now been overtaken with feelings of doubt, that we could have fought harder for her, that we could have allowed her more time, that we really could have managed to carry her around, despite her weighing 29kgs and OH having recently undergone back surgery. I have never had these feelings before when in this position. She was still eating well and maintaining her weight but what Labrador has a problem with their appetite? I think had she not looked so well, I'd feel more justified that we made the right decision, but to Spot, who was the proverbial bull in a china shop (and would go through an object rather than around it) the much decreased level of mobility, and inevitable separation from family that would lead to, would have just been too much for her mentally. You see, when I think about this rationally, I know we did the right thing, but I just want her back 😭❤️. To Spot, you changed my life for the better, you made me laugh out loud every single day, you were an amazing buddy to Jake and Boo, you were the matriarch of our little family, you were a dangerous trip hazard (always laying directly behind me wherever I was standing), you were a stress head who hated bleeps, you loved wine gums and chewed all your food at least 30 times, and always fell asleep under the shower. I will never, ever forget you. To those of you who have read this far, thank you for taking the time. I wish you could have known her, you would have loved her too.

{97702}

Visit site
What a fabulous tribute, Spot sounds to have been an amazing girl who had a fabulous life with you 😊

My thoughts are with you, I’ve lost 3 oldies in the last 18 months and it seems to hurt more every time 😢😢 xx

Chiffy

Visit site
What a great tribute. Well done for giving her a wonderful home and keeping her happy for so long.
We all have feelings of doubt when we make that final decision but we make it in the dog’s best interest not our own. You let her go with dignity at the right time. Once the dreadful rawness retreats a little you will have wonderful memories. xx

Stiff Knees

Visit site
What a fabulous tribute, Spot sounds to have been an amazing girl who had a fabulous life with you 😊

My thoughts are with you, I’ve lost 3 oldies in the last 18 months and it seems to hurt more every time 😢😢 xx
Thank you Levrier, the oldies are the best aren't they?❤️❤️

Stiff Knees

Visit site
What a great tribute. Well done for giving her a wonderful home and keeping her happy for so long.
We all have feelings of doubt when we make that final decision but we make it in the dog’s best interest not our own. You let her go with dignity at the right time. Once the dreadful rawness retreats a little you will have wonderful memories. xx
Thank you Chiffy, I have some wonderful photos too - including one of her when a duck shat all over her face when she chased it up the beck! She was that kinda girl😍

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You have done extremely well to get a Labrador to 17. We have had many Labs over the last 60 years and one vet told me, admittedly a long time ago, that 10 was a good age for a Lab. The oldest we ever managed was 15.

I am sorry you had to make the decision but thank for doing so while Spot was still eating and enjoying life until very recently, you made the difficult decision at the right time for her. No you couldn't have carried her everywhere(!) - and she wouldn't really have wanted you to.

Spend some time looking at your photos and remembering all the funny, fabulous, annoying things that she did while with you.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
You have done extremely well to get a Labrador to 17. We have had many Labs over the last 60 years and one vet told me, admittedly a long time ago, that 10 was a good age for a Lab. The oldest we ever managed was 15.

I am sorry you had to make the decision but thank for doing so while Spot was still eating and enjoying life until very recently, you made the difficult decision at the right time for her. No you couldn't have carried her everywhere(!) - and she wouldn't really have wanted you to.

Spend some time looking at your photos and remembering all the funny, fabulous, annoying things that she did while with you.
Thank you, she was funny, fabulous and annoying and quite often all of those things all at the same time!

Stiff Knees

Visit site
I remember once when I needed to get a urine sample from Spot that she point blank refused to provide a sample whilst in the privacy of our own garden, with the vet appointment only minutes away I had to take her for a short walk to encourage her to pee. Spot chose to have that pee just as 2 parents with their children approached us. I was squatting next to Spot with a plastic container at the ready, when I had collected the sample I stood up to see the family looking curiously at me. "Possible water infection" I said pointing to Spot. The grown ups looked at one another, grabbed the children by the arm and literally jogged away from us speaking (I think) in Polish - translated their conversation was probably something along the lines of "Quick, Run, get away from the crazy pee collecting English lady". 😳

pippixox

Visit site
Look back and cry but also look back and smile for the amazing times you had. Clearly you found each other exactly when you both needed each other

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
What a lucky Dog spot was and loved until the very end.

When we said goodbye to our old boy in Feb, although we knew it was the right time for him, it was so hard. Like Spot, he deteriorated so quickly since Christmas and one morning I just knew. I miss him every day, but I look back at all the fun times we had with him now and can smile and laugh.

Take care of yourself xx

Stiff Knees

Visit site
I considered myself lucky to have had her in my life. I hope she felt the same way. She knew she was loved and liked nothing better than having tired legs and a full tummy. Good exercise, good food, priority access to the sofa and a close and extended family who worshipped her was all she needed. 😍

meggymoo

Visit site
A lovely tribute and I understand perfectly the doubts about doing 'the right thing'. We lost our 16 year old lab 3 years ago and I cry for him every day. He too had had trouble with arthritis in his 'back end' and the day he couldn't get up he looked at me and his eyes told me he'd had enough. The vet I wanted was off and I had to wait until the next day for him (worst 24 hours of my life). Ironically, the next day was dry and sunny so he was a little better which made it even harder still, but I knew in all honesty that the bad days out-numbered the good and it was his time. All three of our dogs that we have had to make that decision about, I have questioned myself over and over again, whether I couldn't have done more. May be I could, but that doesn't mean it would have been the right thing to do. We have to do the best for them, not just what will keep them with us longer. It does get less raw with time and you will smile remembering their antics. We have to be thankful for the time we have them with us and remember that you have given them the love you have over the years.
Run free Spot and say 'hi' to Barney from me.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
a lovely tribute, its never easy but you did the right thing for her. i lost my lurcher 2 and a half years ago, she had hip arthritis and was almost 13 and i knew she wasnt enjoying life and to have hip replacements at that age was not an option as far as i was concerned. we all do what we think is right for them but it doesnt stop us missing them every day, my lurcher is the first page i see when i turn on my lap top, so i see her every day but wish she was here in body not just in my mind. hope you can soon remember the good times with your precious girl , she sounded fabulous and well loved.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
A lovely tribute and I understand perfectly the doubts about doing 'the right thing'. We lost our 16 year old lab 3 years ago and I cry for him every day. He too had had trouble with arthritis in his 'back end' and the day he couldn't get up he looked at me and his eyes told me he'd had enough. The vet I wanted was off and I had to wait until the next day for him (worst 24 hours of my life). Ironically, the next day was dry and sunny so he was a little better which made it even harder still, but I knew in all honesty that the bad days out-numbered the good and it was his time. All three of our dogs that we have had to make that decision about, I have questioned myself over and over again, whether I couldn't have done more. May be I could, but that doesn't mean it would have been the right thing to do. We have to do the best for them, not just what will keep them with us longer. It does get less raw with time and you will smile remembering their antics. We have to be thankful for the time we have them with us and remember that you have given them the love you have over the years.
Run free Spot and say 'hi' to Barney from me.
Thank you Meggymoo, I'm so sorry for your loss.😔 I have smiled (and cringed!) today remembering some of her exploits! She was such a big character even in old age that she has left a huge gap. Summer was never a good time for Spot, she didn't cope well with the sort of heat we had last Summer, I think some of her medication made her "run hot" and her back end Wobbliness was definitely worse during the warmer months, that was also a consideration of our timing of this decision, if she went into the wobbly season already as wobbly as she had become she was really going to suffer terribly. We couldn't watch her go through that 😭❤️

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
When we took Aled to be pts, our vet said to us, whatever we did that day, we would feel guilt, it’s completely normal. Did we give up too soon, did we leave him too long etc. She said she’s felt guilt one way or another for all the animals she’s lost personally.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
a lovely tribute, its never easy but you did the right thing for her. i lost my lurcher 2 and a half years ago, she had hip arthritis and was almost 13 and i knew she wasnt enjoying life and to have hip replacements at that age was not an option as far as i was concerned. we all do what we think is right for them but it doesnt stop us missing them every day, my lurcher is the first page i see when i turn on my lap top, so i see her every day but wish she was here in body not just in my mind. hope you can soon remember the good times with your precious girl , she sounded fabulous and well loved.
Thank you Splashgirl45, I'm sorry for your loss. We have lots of photos of Spot (they surround my desk at work too) and they'll be staying, akthough they'll be painful to look at at first. 😔

Stiff Knees

Visit site
When we took Aled to be pts, our vet said to us, whatever we did that day, we would feel guilt, it’s completely normal. Did we give up too soon, did we leave him too long etc. She said she’s felt guilt one way or another for all the animals she’s lost personally.
Our vet shed a tear with me, she had never met Spot before but knows our Jake well and she is considered a friend by me. The guilt, I have been told, is part of the grieving process. Crying like a baby in the dog food aisle in Tesco is also part of the grieving process apparently (even though I have never bought dog food from Tesco!!)😩