Our first comp report and first hunter trial!

viceversa

Visit site
Headed off to the lovely Eland Lodge in the sun today for our first hunter trial, and first competitive outing since 2011! We were entered in the novice which is 80cm. Having been xc schooling 4 times in the past 3 months, plus clear round sj etc, where he has been jumping well, I thought it was time to start gaining some competitive xc experience for the both of us! I knew the fences were all well within our capabilities, however I was unsure as to how he would react to the atmosphere, with all there is to look at, and coming out the start box away from the warm up etc.
Well he set out the start box fine, gave him a couple of taps down his shoulder and off we went. Jumped fence 1, a small log, out of his stride, and cantered up to fence 2, a more substantial brush. This was at the brow of the hill where everything (people, tents, food vans etc) came into view. I think it overwhelmed him and at the last minute he went to stop, I got after him and I'm not totally sure what happened but I think he half fell, half scrambled over it and I was already out the front door, so he also scrambled over me on the other side! I jumped up, very annoyed at myself for coming off! It must have looked a lot worse than it felt, as a few folk had stopped, my friend was tearful, and the fence judge was calling the medic! I insisted I was fine, got straight back on just a bit winded and represented. He stopped, but jumped it on our next attempt. Continued round the course, through the water, up the steps all ok. He was a bit spooky in places and cat leaped one fence where he thought of stopping but was generally jumping very well and when he could get motoring he was much less spooky. Had stops at 2 more fences round the course, one was dressed in flowers, we turned to it after the steps so he had lost a bit of momentum and was spooking. The other I think I just didn't ride strongly enough to. I was starting to flag a bit, which I think was due to the fall.
Although we were eliminated and it certainly doesn't look good on paper, I was actually really pleased. We had quite a few problems last year and both lost some confidence. He would either jump clear or have one stop then lose the plot slightly and throw the towel in for the rest of the session. He isn't a confident horse but I think a winter hunting has helped and I finally feel like I am learning how to ride him. The last third of the course he really got into it and didn't think of stopping. I think if I hadn't have fallen I would have ridden a bit stronger and been in a better position to give him confidence, but I am really happy that we completed :)
Thanks for reading :D sorry no pics as of yet!

emandbee

Visit site
Hi and a massive well done is in order! :) Sounds like a really valuable day out for your boy, despite the tumble! Which I hope you are ok.. though you might ache tomorrow!
Well done for getting back on and getting on with it, giving him some good experience. Don't worry about not riding strong enough, it's perfectly understandable! Some people wouldn't have even got back on! Congrats and I'm sure you will build on this outing :)

3bh

Visit site
I was the fence judge at the top of the steps, I remember you as i said to miss the brick stack and go and enjoy yourself around the rest of the course with no pressure, I'm glad you did and pleased to read such a positive report, and you can now look forward to your next outing!

viceversa

Visit site
Hi and a massive well done is in order! :) Sounds like a really valuable day out for your boy, despite the tumble! Which I hope you are ok.. though you might ache tomorrow!
Well done for getting back on and getting on with it, giving him some good experience. Don't worry about not riding strong enough, it's perfectly understandable! Some people wouldn't have even got back on! Congrats and I'm sure you will build on this outing :)

Thanks very much :) he was a good boy standing at the trailer and warming up too, so I'm hoping overall it was a positive day out for him :)

I was the fence judge at the top of the steps, I remember you as i said to miss the brick stack and go and enjoy yourself around the rest of the course with no pressure, I'm glad you did and pleased to read such a positive report, and you can now look forward to your next outing!

Thanks for the good advice yesterday :) Everyone was really lovely and encouraging. I was worried people would be thinking I came under prepared with me having those problems, but we didn't, I think we just need to get a few runs under our belt and gain some experience. I'm going to book in the next one today :D Thanks again!

BeckyD

Visit site
Well done! It's surprising how green they go in competitive situation compared to schooling isn't it? At least he improved as the course went on and hopefully will get to grips with things even quicker next time out.

Hope you aren't too sore today!

viceversa

Visit site
Well done! It's surprising how green they go in competitive situation compared to schooling isn't it? At least he improved as the course went on and hopefully will get to grips with things even quicker next time out.

Hope you aren't too sore today!

Yes it is, it was also really different to ride an entire course rather than schooling where you're only linking a few fences together at a time.