Our First Weekend - I'm shattered

mollybee

Visit site
Our very first pony arrived on Friday evening, we spent all day yesterday up at the yard sorting out our stable etc, spending time with her as she was in all day post-worming. She was pretty good with being in there for over 24 hours bearing in mind it had been a couple of years since she'd been stabled.

Today we went and turned her out, did all the stable chores etc.
Tacked her up to take her out - let's just say that was not particularly easy.
She had a fit when doing up the girth, luckily there was someone else on hand to help otherwise I'd have been injured as she went to rear up :confused:
We enjoyed the hack out (this is my daughter's first pony, and I don't do the whole horse scene)!! My daughter is 13 and has been riding for 4 years, and we have part loaned two fabulous pony's in the past, so like I say this is all very new!
Coming back onto the yard, all fine, but then she played up when I went to take her bridle off. Every time I put my hand up to remove it she would just throw her head back, it took me ages (plus I'm not that confident I suppose).

I'm bloomin shattered, and my daughter is upset that things didn't run smooth, but as I said to her it's all a learning curve for us all.
I must be mad :)

rainer

Visit site
First of all congrats on your new pony,what is she?
I know how u feel re learning curve and all that,I am a horsy mum and got my daughter her first pony at christmas and its so different to just loaning or sharing. :p
You've got to give them a good while to settle in,we've had charlie almost 5 months now and he is settled in but we are all still getting to know each other.
Its a mega responsibility being the sole person to sort out feeding/grazing/worming/saddle fit,vaccinations/dentist etc and quite scary at times lol
Wouldn't change it for the world though but u do need help at times as I do now with my daughter going to be having lessons on him so don't be afraid to ask for help :)
Good luck!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Do you have someone (an instructor, or very experienced person) who can help you a little bit in the beginning? Unfortunately horses can be very unforgiving with the fumbles of beginners and turn little misunderstandings into full blown dramas unless nipped in the bud.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
If it is at all possible I'd keep the pony at a livery yard where there is experienced help to hand, at least for the first couple of months. That way any teething problems will stay just that, teething problems, and not develop into major issues.

putasocinit

Visit site
It will get better. Remember she is also getting to know you and how you do things and needs to gain confidence in you, so patience on both sides, dont get frightened as that will make it worse for both of you. Just go slowly.

Lolabay

Visit site
Mollybee I know exactly how you feel,we have just got our first horse for my two daughters who fortunately know far more than i ever will. I am slowly getting used to her although i still wont go in the stable with her. However we have her on part livery where there are lots of lovely horsey people around to help if its needed. Its daunting when you have all the onus on yourself,completely different from horse sharing and loans.

Have you anyone on the yard who could give you a hand or could you maybe have an instuctor for a few weeks just until your Daughter gets used to the horse.

Good luck

poppet

Visit site
It may not have went smoothly but you got through the day and will likely get easier from now. Just take each day as it comes and your confidence will get better in no time. Good luck.

Tammytoo

Visit site
You are now at the bottom of a steep learning curve! It will get better and you will become addicted like the rest of us.

Try tightening the girth slowly in future. Do it up fairly loosely at first and then a hole at a time. It doesn't have to be so tight that you can't slip a couple of fingers under it reasonably easily when mounted.

Try getting someone more experienced (like your daughter's instructor) to take off the bridle and see if they have issues as well. If they do they may be able to suggest ways to overcome the problem.

It might be worth contacting the previous owners to see if they ever had problems like this and how they overcame them.

Good luck!