Our going barefoot journey so far!

Miss_Dior

Visit site
About a month ago we took the plunge and had our shoesies taken off! he's now totally barefoot and doing amazing! he's on biotin, healthy hooves feed (molasses free). Taken away his molasses lick (he hates me now!!) and been using Kevin bacons hoof range and AHH I'm so happy I just want to gush at how well he's doing! we still have a long way to go, but we are having regular trims and going little walks down the yard drive and being turned out every day, so I'm slowley turning into a barefoot fanatic, I'm lucky to have a few more barefoot people on the yard but if anyone has any advice please send it my way! xx

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
Great news well done. Is there an option for him to be out 24/7 as it really will benefit him in the transition?

My boy is 13 weeks in and his barefoot trimmer is just amazed at how well he is going. He started with great frogs anyway for some reason and the other day she was just amazed by the tightness of his white lines and how great the whole foot is looking and she has so much praise for my old farrier because he really did do a great job on his feet .. of course I already knew my farrier was awesome :)

My top tip .. the more exercise he gets the better. Get him out and about as much as possible over different terrains and surfaces. The more miles he does .. as and when he can cope with it .. the better and quicker the transition. We are now hacking out ridden and he is going well. Sometimes he has to pick his way round a stony track but I let him take his time and get off and back on again if needs be but all in all I just cant wait to get winter over and done with so I can get cracking for a summer of hunter trials, sponsored rides and riding club camp :)

ameeyal

Visit site
Well done. Dont be affraid to boot him if you do a lot of hacking, or he starts to feel stones, second hand boots are ideal.
One of mine has had 3 abcesses since taking his shoes off over 1 year ago, so expect that as well { or you might be lucky}

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh gods, not another "journey".....People have been taking their horses shoes off forever, it used to be the normal state of hunters in the summer and many, many horses/ponies have been unshod all their lives: nothing new.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh gods, not another "journey".....People have been taking their horses shoes off forever, it used to be the normal state of hunters in the summer and many, many horses/ponies have been unshod all their lives: nothing new.

That's a whole generation of younger horse owners brought up to believe that horses need shoes all year round. I knew all about hunters having their shoes off in summer but I thought it was only to save money. Especially as loads of them had grass tips to stop their feet breaking up.

I was ecstatic and mad in equal measure when I realised that vets and farriers had been giving me the wrong advice for decades and that my horses didn't need shoes to event or hunt or hack on the road.

In livery stables, you can take a lot of stick for going barefoot. So cut the poor girl some slack, C :) The clue was in the title, you didn't have to open it.

MD, get riding, in boots if you need them. The more work you do with her, the stronger feet she'll grow. Well done!

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you get problems, consider using one of the high copper/zinc/magnesium zero iron/manganese supplements designed by barefoot peeps. There are three now, I think. Equimins, forageplus and progressive earth (ebay only)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hey I'm really sorry Im just excited and wanted to share :( xx

OK, I apologise....just grumpy with all the evangelists :) Good luck with your horse, I'm sure he'll be fine and people on here will be glad to help you if you run into problems. Do me a favour though - don't start spouting off about all your "rock crunching", that drives me mad!

Oh, and all of my horses are unshod, have been for years.

Antw23uk

Visit site
OK, I apologise....just grumpy with all the evangelists :) Good luck with your horse, I'm sure he'll be fine and people on here will be glad to help you if you run into problems. Do me a favour though - don't start spouting off about all your "rock crunching", that drives me mad!

Oh, and all of my horses are unshod, have been for years.

Yes grumpy pants, wind ya neck in ;) Im with you though, damn evangelical lot ... they booted me off the FB page because I was getting grouchy with there utter hatred and contempt for anyone who shod their horse! I'm over it now but I was mightily pissed off at the time but now if i need advice I just come on here but its not rocket science. Just dont go all evangelical on us OP :)