Our other home bred Shagya

Rollin

Visit site
This is full sister to our stallion Woody. They are like peas out of a pod, although she is a bit taller at approx 16hh.

She competed in her first endurance in 2014 and has now started jumping. Two photos taken yesterday in our arena. Our new stable jockey.

It is not ideal for SJ training so we will be taking her to a local riding club. She has also had a few lessons with a member of 2012 Olympic Eventing Team who lives in our village and likes her very much.

IMG_0535_zps4cc04570.jpg

IMG_0541_zpsbb7346dc.jpg

be positive

Visit site
I love seeing your performance bred Arabs, this mare is lovely, the first photo she looks average not that impressive but the second shows real jumping ability, she looks to have a great future and is clearly enjoying herself, looking forward to some comp reports soon.

Ponycarrots

Visit site
She is GORGEOUS! I wish my arab could jump like that second photo. She makes a great shape over it. Beautiful horse

Rollin

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind comments and feedback.

Be Positive, she only had her first jumping lessons in December and then our Eventer Trainer was injured. We started again last week. We are pleased with her progress, she is very 'trainable'.

Pinkyboots, the breed standard for the Shagya is 15.2hh-16hh. In 1997 I started my search for a tall Arabian, I heard that in continental europe there were very tall Arabians. The search took us to Hungary and the National Stud at Babolna.

My initial interest was to find a Shagya stallion for one particular Cleveland Bay mare. After both AI and natural covering and lots of disappointment we finally succeeded in breeding this particular mare to our own Shagya stallion - a dream of more than 10 years.

That is how we came to breed Shagya Arabs too. We have enjoyed the journey.

Rollin

Visit site
Sorry folks, have no idea how this posted twice!!

Be Positive, she only had her first jumping lessons in December and then our Eventer Trainer was injured. We started again last week. We are pleased with her progress, she is very 'trainable'.

Pinkyboots, the breed standard for the Shagya is 15.2hh-16hh. In 1997 I started my search for a tall Arabian, I heard that in continental europe there were very tall Arabians. The search took us to Hungary and the National Stud at Babolna.

My initial interest was to find a Shagya stallion for one particular Cleveland Bay mare. After both AI and natural covering and lots of disappointment we finally succeeded in breeding this particular mare to our own Shagya stallion - a dream of more than 10 years.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry folks, have no idea how this posted twice!!

So where do the Shagya Arab originate from? My 15.2 is mainly russian/polish Balaton on one side and I know his dam was tall (Podborka) but my other Arab his only 15h and he is also has Balaton on the dam side (Balenina) but quite a bit smaller.

Rollin

Visit site
Faracat, Thank you I had not read that link.

I recommend also the blog from Lilly Creek Ranch in USA, now sold to buyers in South America..I recommend because three of the stallions she exaults are in our youngsters pedigree.

http://www.shagyasport.com/news_great_improver.html

Read about Lapis and also Ramez, grandsire to Ramiro Z

The Shagya was bred to be a Cavalry Horse and the Imperial Cavalry of the Hapsburgs were always mounted on Shagya Arabs.

Rollin

Visit site
I enjoyed reading the link Rollin, it was very interesting. They are wonderful horses.

We should start a Shagya appreciation society. Brits are put off by buying across the channel. Some really nice Shagya Arabs for sale in France from other breeders.

We do our own transport to and fro and use the Dieppe-Newhaven 4 hour channel crossing and not expensive.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You're certainly doing a good job promoting the breed by posting your updates about your horses on here. :D

Shagya arabs would be a really good choice of mount for many people who are too tall for most other arabs. My cousin loves my 15hh grey (mostly Crabbet blood) but he's over 6ft and a Shagya could be a great option for him in the future, if he decided to go into horse ownership.

GemG

Visit site
I'm always interested in seeing non traditional breeds doing jobs/competing. Sorry for using the words non traditional, but I'm sure you all know what I mean. Posting reports on here is great advertising for the breed. I'm sure you've heard the generic Arabs can't or won't jump rubbish.

...I don't own one either by the way, so I am truly totally unbiased!

....the odd one I did see that wouldn't jump well in my opinion was due to poor piloting and training rather than any lack of ability or will etc.

Rollin

Visit site
Faracat, Woody is 15.3hh and the man who backed him for us, is a tall handsome Frenchman, think 3 Musketeers!!!, 6' tall. He never looked too big for Woody and when I commented on this, he replied it was because Woody had such good conformation.

I will search for a pic to demonstrate.

GemG

Visit site
Faracat, Woody is 15.3hh and the man who backed him for us, is a tall handsome Frenchman, think 3 Musketeers!!!, 6' tall. He never looked too big for Woody and when I commented on this, he replied it was because Woody had such good conformation.

I will search for a pic to demonstrate.

He will have a great barrel - well sprung and deep girth though, so bet he will carry length of leg surprisingly well. Horse I mean!

Last edited:

Rollin

Visit site
He has quite a following of English ladies, who should know better (like me) BUT he is a true professional and it is your horse who will get his undivided attention!!

Gem G I understand exactly what you are saying.

Rollin

Visit site
Here he is with our other Shagya mare, who is over 16hh. I bought her for ride and drive but lost my confidence after a bad fall - my fault not hers. So Eric came to do some work with her.

He had never seen her before and after 20mins in the arena said "Let us see if she is relaxed enough to lie down" (Naughty blond friend is saying "if she won't I will")

101_0504.jpg

101_0511.jpg

101_0513.jpg

101_0516.jpg

101_0480.jpg

Riding Woody, just backed. It just demonstrates that in spite of being over 6' he does not look very big on Woody just 15.3hh

IMG_8362.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think it's the combination of beautiful horse and handsome man that really works. I don't know which I prefer. Maybe you could post both over so that I can decide? :D ;)

Rollin

Visit site
The grey mare in the last few photos, died of colic 12 days ago. I am still not over her loss. She was very well bred but we knew difficult to put in foal, so we had been running her with our Shagya stallion Woody. They loved each other and were such good friends.

Colic is such a trauma. No apparent reason, out every day stabled at night. As always she was checked at 11.00pm and found sweating at 7.00am. We thought we had caught her in time. Vet treatment was prompt within 30mins. A day and a night of treatment, we thought she was recovering when she suddenly collapsed and died.

It has taken 10 days to get the appalling French knackery service to collect her body, so finally I have closure of sorts.