Out of the depths of darkness....

Spudlet

Visit site
Normally I would have a big problem with rescued animals being imported from other countries, but in this case, the animals seem to be going to former / serving soldiers that have bonded with them, and I think this is no bad thing, for the animals and also the people.

And I entirely support moves to improve animal welfare in-country. This kind of thing can seem like a massive uphill struggle but it can pay dividends, as I know from my own experience.

So good on them.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I didn't know this charity existed - where have I been! I've just watched a piece about it a regional programme. A soldier 'adopted' a pup in Afghanistan and then sadly killed. His grieving family managed, with the help of NOWZAD, to bring the pup home to them. Heartbreaking but joyous at the same time.:)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I read the book about them a few months back-brought me to tears many a time. Brilliant insight into the charity set up tho.
I think good on them many of these soldiers use these animals as the only normality in there tours and as they all come back to the soldiers then i don't see a problem with it xx

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I read the book about them a few months back-brought me to tears many a time. Brilliant insight into the charity set up tho.
I think good on them many of these soldiers use these animals as the only normality in there tours and as they all come back to the soldiers then i don't see a problem with it xx

You are so right. A little bit of normality amongst chaos must be beneficial for their morale.