Out with the Hunters I'm afraid.

mattilda

Visit site
I have worn Hunter wellies for years. In the good old days they lasted for ever but when they sold out the qality went seriously down hill. The final straw came a couple of weeks ago when the pair I bought at Christmas developed a hole. These haven't even lasted 6 months. I do wear them a lot, most of the day, but hey that is ridiculous when they cost 50 quid or more.
So today they have lost my business and I have bought a pair of Chemeneaux (sp?) boots. Hope they last longer than Hunters. They were slightly more expensive and don't look quite so good imo but hey they are only there to keep my feet dry!!

Ladylina83

Visit site
I am getting really annoyed with wellies full stop !! after the year befores failed Christmas hunters I got a pair of Joules ones this year that lasted me until Feb 10th !!

My Dad has a pair of Chaemeux ones that have been about for nearly 6 years so lets hope your new additions last you well ! I'm going for a pair of Muck boots next see how they get on !

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
A lot of people have given up with Hunters now. Like you say 10 to 20 years ago, they were the best boots bar none, and we all wore Hunters, and a pair lasted years. Now I'm lucky if a pair lasts a couple of months. Even the last pair of Neoprene ones which were over £100 only lasted me about 5 months before they split - They're still supposed to be guaranteed for a year, so worth getting your money back if you can.

I think I feel most upset that Hunters have gone off (compared to other brands being rubbish too) is because they're the original ones we all loved and trusted.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Rather than pay £40 plus for Huntresses that only lasted me 4 months before splitting, I invested £90 in a pair of neoprene lined Le Chameaus.

They have already lasted longer than the Hunters AND since we have -20 temps here in the winter my toes are extremely grateful! They show no signs of looking like splitting, the rubber is sort of crazed pimply texture and much more flexible, just much better quality.

I wont be going back to Hunter. How to ruin a good product in a few short years. A shame.

much-jittering

Visit site
I too gave up on Hunters and went over to the cheapest Chameaux boots. This winter I gave up on wellies all together working with horses and used a pair of toggi calgary long boots as wellies instead. £70 from the game fair, and because they're riding boots I could just hose off and hop on the next horse. Fab stuff. They won't do another winter, but my cheap Chameaux boots only did 2, and for half of the 2nd I had damp toes.

Last edited:
X

xspiralx

I know but I am a bit of a snob/vain (sorry for next bit ) green Dunlops always kind of look like you are on a school trip ...

I find it hilarious that anyone can be vain about wellies..... they're wellies!! :p

MissSBird

Visit site
Hunter lost it when they decided to go down the festival/fashion market. They're not worth the money now.

I like toggi wellies. Their neoprene lined ones are half the price of Le Chameux and have lasted me 4 years.

skewbald_again

Visit site
I have Argylls, made by the same people but black with no buckles. They are ok actually and have been known to last a couple of years, but if you ask me, there are no wellies as good as hunters used to be, despite the silly prices.

HashRouge

Visit site
I find it hilarious that anyone can be vain about wellies..... they're wellies!! :p
Me too! I find the idea that there are welly "brands" hilarious :p
I got a cheapo pair from a garden centre about 4 or 5 years ago and they're still in great shape. No splits or holes and they were only about £7 :D

Apercrumbie

Visit site
It's such a shame about Hunter wellies because they are so nice and are very comfy. My latest pair are holding up pretty well actually, I think I've had them for about 5 years now so I seem to have been lucky. However, my £10 bog-standard pair from mole valley have lasted the same amount of time and if anything are comfier than my hunter wellies! Although I really would love a pair of Le Chameaus...

ruby1512

Visit site
I have a pair of steel toe capped black bog basic wellies from Country Wide and I've had them 7 years, bit cold in the winter though so double up on socks, they were £7.99.