Outdoor Access Code (Scottish folks)

Chex

Visit site
I keep reading about the Outdoor access code, and then look at the miles of farmland and forestry that surround where I keep Chex. But, I can't help but feel its really rude to ride on other peoples land! I've read the code, and as long as you don't disturb livestock, crops or muck up the ground, you can pretty much ride wherever you want. Does anyone take advantage of the code to ride on other peoples land? Has it caused any bother? I can't help but worry it will cause arguments with other farmers if we start riding on their land. But then it is perfectly legal and encouraged! Seems like such a good idea in theory, just not in practice
frown.gif

zulu705

Visit site
I ride anywhere I can. I wouldn't open a gate to get to a field though (only cause its too much hassle) but regularly ride along edges of fields and on forest tracks. Only had one problem really with one landowner who says their track is private (it isn't and we have cheecked with council) so don't go there anymore. I ride anywhere I would walk a dog and on any path that says 'Public right of way'.

Malibu

Visit site
same here ride where ever really as farmers dont mind and i dont annoy cattle etc! its legal so just do it! the most that can happen si that you get asked to leave 1

tiggie

Visit site
we have just had a beautful bridle path put in but to access it we have to go through "community woodland" at the back of our village.We have had no end of problems with our community council who say we are not allowed in the woodland and have to access the bridle path from the other end and turn round and go back when we reach the woodland.There seems to be alot of anti-horse feeling here,not sure why as the litter and broken bottles in the wood don't appear to bother them!

Chex

Visit site
I did think about going round the farmers and asking, got a feeling if they were given the choice they'd no though (even though technically they can't). I'm just being a big wimp lol.

kirstyfk

Visit site
We are surrounded by fields belonging to 2 different people. One is a farmer amd the other is a property developer who rents out the fields to different farmers. The property developer built our house and at the time my dad asked if it was ok to ride round the fields. He said it was fine as long as we kept to the edges. The farmer was a bit more difficult to begin with as he would put bulls in the field we would ride through to get to the woods but he's ok now as we ask him to top our field and have helped capture some loose cattle!

Basically if you keep to the edges they are fine - just don't go galloping across the middle of the crops! Also if you check with the farmers tell them that on your way round you can check for any repairs which need to be done!

Kermie

Visit site
If any of you are unsure about whether to go a certain way, then get in touch with your local authority Access Officer (I was one until June last year) or the BHS Access Officer, Pat Somerville.

There are plenty of people who will try to tell you that you can't do this or you can't do that, but the legislation is there to protect you as users and them as land owners.

tiggie - you should definitely contact your access officer (can't remember her name as previous one left at the same time as me) but she'll be based at Lochgilphead. There is nothing in the SOAC to say you can't access community woodland and as long as you are responsible, the community council shouldn't be able to stop you.

OWLIE185

Visit site
A large number of people have fought and negotiated hard to earn horseriders these rights in Scotland. Please take advantage of them as you are the envy of riders in other parts of Britain. If anyone tries to intimidate you or prevent you excercising what are now your legal rights then please report this to your local BHS Access Officer who will be only to pleased to take the matters up with the appropriate authorities.