Outdoor events next to livestock

spark56

Visit site
Does anyone know of any guidance documents for people organising outdoor events in rural areas? Unfortunately the land that adjoins mine is being rented out for various events. It has been suggested that someone like BHS, CLA or NFU might produce something that explains risks and responsibilities, but I’ve not tracked anything down so far.

It would also be really interesting to know if anyone has had to deal with a similar situation? Thank you!

teapot

Visit site
What kind of events?

If they had an official/affiliated body, there would/should be some form of guidelines (ie BRC's guidelines are comprehensive for running RC comps etc).

CLA would be a good bet to talk to though for more country based pursuits. If your neighbours are running 'try shooting' days there surely must be rules/regs in place, but again may come from the shooting bodies. CLA/NFU/BHS etc have very little sway to be honest.

spark56

Visit site
Thanks, not equine or rural activities at all, mini music festivals, weddings or pretty much anything people want to hire it for. I had a useful chat with someone through the BD legal helpline and they suggested seeing if there was some guidance. Not from a regulatory perspective but just to help make the landowner more aware.

tda

Visit site
There is a farmer near us who rents land out for some events, one field has a moto-x course on it, and another is used for caravan events, as far as I'm aware (might be wrong) they can have x number of events per year before any change of use is applied, but I don't know what the x number is.

spark56

Visit site
Try your local council!

The council is getting bombarded with complaints. It seems they can run events for up to 499 people on a temporary event notice and the council has very limited powers to turn them down. I would never have imagined it was possible, was a big shock.

There is a farmer near us who rents land out for some events, one field has a moto-x course on it, and another is used for caravan events, as far as I'm aware (might be wrong) they can have x number of events per year before any change of use is applied, but I don't know what the x number is.

It’s usually up to 28 days per year but currently extended to 56 to meet the demand for campsites. Even if it goes back down to 28 it’s still a nightmare.

Reactions: tda