Outdoor halter storage

Uncle Pecos

New User
Visit site
Howdy folks. I need some ideas for storing halters. There is a christian youth camp near me that has a horse program with about 20 mounts divided between 6 pens. I'm trying to come up with a way to hang the halters that they use for each horse by the gates so they are protected from the weather. I would be building them myself to save the camp the expense of buying them. I'd appreciate any design ideas for this project.

Winters100

Visit site
Great that you are helping them, but are you sure that it is really needed? It has never really occurred to me to need somewhere special to store the halter, if I was leaving the horse outside for the night and wanted to put it somewhere dry I would just put it in the tack room / barn / feed room - I am sure that they have somewhere that they can easily place them.

Maybe there are other things that are more needed? For example some sort of cover to protect the hay if they are feeding hay outside? Or a nice scratching pole for the horses after work? Mine love that!

J&S

Visit site
It might be handy to have them right there, with the horses in case they need to be moved hastily. (our RDA ponies needed theirs with name tags, outside their boxes.) Perhaps a wooden box with hooks at the back and open at the front. Name tags on head collars.

Uncle Pecos

New User
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure that this is a need as it was a specific request by the head wrangler. They ride about an hour trail for different groups throughout the day, but not all the horses are used each time. They try to match up the horses to the youth in the group, so the horses not being used are returned to the respective pen and the halter is hung on the fence. If there was a box or container of some kind, with a label for each horse, it would protect the tack from the elements, reduce confusion of which halter to use for each horse and make it quicker to catch the horses and ready them for the next trail ride.

Equi

Visit site
Does each pen have to have its own container?

A simple box with hooks in it and a hinged door with a hook latch will do the job. If you want to be fancy you can add name plates lol screw it to a post or build it on legs.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I have mine in an ex treat bucket- one of those plastic ones with sealable lids. Might take a while to accumulate 20, though!

Pippity

Visit site
I have mine in an ex treat bucket- one of those plastic ones with sealable lids. Might take a while to accumulate 20, though!

My cob is happy to help.

I am wondering if there is a language difference here and OP means bridles rather than what we would call a halter?

Oh, that would make more sense. I just leave my headcollar either on the floor or fastened to the gate when my horse is out, and on a hook outside her stable when she's in.

scruffyponies

Visit site
We have a little shelter for headcollars when the ponies are in the house paddock, since it's quite a way from the tack room, and more convenient. Collars are hung on a hook on the fence which is sheltered by a piece of curved fibreglass (old van roof), edged with a slit piece of hosepipe.