Ovariectomy v ovari-hysterectomy

Bellasophia

Visit site
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9404289

My little schnauzer came into season at just over six months to our concern and the delight of my standard poodle boy.We separated them for the crucial mid way point in the season,went grey,listened to both howling for each other ,saw my male lose three kilos in stress weight.....and .finally it was all done with.
We have sterilized the mini schnauzer( nearly 9 m old) this week ,with an ovarectomy...the removal of the ovaries ,leaving the uterus intact.The uterus will atrophy and the dog is at no more risk for pregnancy,pyometriosis or uterine issues.
this procedure is new to me...I've always had the full ovary hysterectomy done on my girls.
my vet says the recovery time is much faster,the op is less invasive, the dog does not risk stump pyometriosis,and in younger females it is now universally done in Europe.
so far so good...my dog is just two days post spay...after just one day she seems almost back to normal...hardly any pain,scar is about an inch long and is already disappearing ,she has eaten,pooed and weed ,......her stitches are soluble and don't have to be removed.We are giving her at least 7 to 10 days before she resumes normal activity,but she is taking very short on lead walks ,just to do her business.

Is this op also embraced in UK? what do you think about it?

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...iectomy-safer-alternative-to-pet-spaying.aspx

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Our practice has been offering these for a few months now and I'm still not fully convinced the benefits outweigh the increased cost (three times more than a standard bitch spay) because what you've described is a normal recovery from a standard spay as well.

That said I've no plans for another bitch again, dogs are far simpler!

Bellasophia

Visit site
Is the increased cost due to being done by laparoscopy? my dog had just the one small incision,mid way,but not as long as a normal spay. Ie not laparoscopy...
Price would have been more if we had done a full spay she said...more time,more anaesthetic,more cutting...